• 12 Jul 2020 - 23:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What did Leonard Maltin have to say about that one?  (Read 3801 times)

Garbage Can

His film guide is one of my favorite reference info books. I always flip through it with a highlight marker in hand and have been buying the updated issue semi-annually in the past 10 years. I sometimes like to see what he has to say about Eurocult ones, even though he often gives the crime and horror movies his better-than-'BOMB' rating, one and a half star. Does anyone have requests?

Jamie

• Almost Human
Re: What did Leonard Maltin have to say about that one?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 09:44 »

Hey, I've been meaning to email you tonight dude! Anyway, Leonard Maltin rules. The only critic to put in a guest appearance on MST3k!

How about Horror Express, A Lizard In A Woman's Skin, or Blazing Magnum?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 11:04 »

I buy his book every year - just got the new one last month (was an incredible £4.54 delivered from Amazon UK).

Anyway, I don't always agree with his reviews but it's a hell of a resource and a great size for sticking next to the bed. I tend to flick through it most nights. His reviews are often woefully off, though (** for TAXI DRIVER? Fuck off) but I'd recommend his book wholeheartedly.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Garbage Can

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 12:56 »

Horror Express (1972-Spanish-British) C-88m. *** D: Eugenio Martin. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Telly Savalas, Silvia Tortosa, Jorge Rigaud. Crackerjack horror movie, ingeniously staged and well acted by the genre's superstars. Turn-of-the-century chiller has a long-frozen monster coming to life while being transported from Asia to the West. Lee and Cushing are rival anthropologists aboard the train and Savalas is a power-crazed Cossack officer. Aka PANIC ON THE TRANS-SIBERIAN EXPRESS

Nothing under 'LiaWS' (or 'Schizoid').

Strange Shadows in an Empty Room (1977) C-99m. *-1/2 D: Martin Herbert (Alberto De Martino). Stuart Whitman, John Saxon, Martin Landau, Tisa Farrow, Gayle Hunnicutt, Carole Laure. Far-fetched, violent film has police detective Whitman searching for his sister's murderer. Tawdry stuff; filmed in Montreal as BLAZING MAGNUMS (a far more appropriate title). Panavision. (R)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 13:39 »

BTW - you can get the Maltin Ap for iPhone too - I have it and it's great for lookign things up on the go  :D
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Garbage Can

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 13:45 »

Got a couple more for you, Jamie. Hold on to your seat, my dude.. (hilarious Twisted Justice review, by the way. I finally got around to reading it yesterday afternoon.)

Black Belly of the Tarantula (1972-Italian) C-88m. *-1/2 D: Paolo Cavara. Giancarlo Giannini, Stefania Sandrelli, Barbara Bouchet. Folks are being murdered in mysterious ways at health and beauty salon; none too exciting. (R)

Lady Frankenstein (1971-Italian) C-84m. BOMB D: Mel Welles. Joseph Cotten, Mickey Hargitay, Sarah Bey (!?!), Paul Muller, Peter Whiteman. Poor horror entry with Cotten a tired, ill-fated Baron; his daughter (Bey) takes up where he leaves off in the monster-making department (R)

Some ones of my choice...

Hellbenders, The (1967-Italian-Spanish) C-92m. *-1/2 D: Sergio Corbucci. Joseph Cotten, Norma Bengell, Julian Mateos, Gino Pernice, Angel Aranda, Maria Martin. Dreary spaghetti Western in which crazed ex-Confederate officer Cotten schemes to rekindle the rebel cause, facing a variety of complications and crises.

High Crime (1973-Italian) C-100m. ** D: Enzo G. Castellari. Franco Nero, James Whitmore, Fernando Rey, Delia Boccardo. Energetic but superficial action drama. Narc Nero going up against Mafioso Rey. You've seen it all before.

Human Factor, The (1975-British-Italian) C-96m. *-1/2 D: Edward Dmytryk. George Kennedy, John Mills, Raf Vallone, Rita Tushingham, Barry Sullivan, Arthur Franz. Violent, bloody chronicle of Kennedy tracking down the killers of his family. Decent cast wasted. (R)

Italian Connection, The (1972-Italian) C-92m. ** D: Fernando Di Leo, Henry Silva, Woody Strode, Mario Adorf, Luciana Paluzzi, Sylvia Koscina, Adolfo Celi. Violent gangster meller has Milanese hood Adorf set up by gang boss Celi for the blame in a six-million-dollar heroin heist. For action fans only. Aka MANHUNT (1973). (R)

Kill! Kill! Kill! (1972-French-Spanish-German-Italian) C-90m. *-1/2 D: Romain Gary. Jean Seberg, James Mason, Stephen Boyd, Curt Jurgens, Daniel Emilfork. Interpol agent Mason, on the trail of Italian drug kingpins, gets competition from fellow agent Boyd, who believes in playing dirty. Hardened violence clashes with writer-director Gary's purple prose. Original title KILL, at 102m.(R)

Operation Kid Brother (1967-Italian) C-104m. *-1/2 D: Alberto De Martino. Neil Connery, Daniela Bianchi, Adolfo Celi, Bernard Lee, Anthony Dawson, Lois Maxwell. Screen debut of Sean Connery's brother in James Bond spinoff is a disaster, in tale of master criminal (Celi)'s plan to blackmail Allied governments into controlling half of world's gold supply. Aka: OPERATION DOUBLE 007; video title: SECRET AGENT 00. Techniscope.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 15:29 »

The only critic to put in a guest appearance on MST3k!

I really don't understand the appeal of MST3K. The very concept of it annoys me.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2011 - 19:18 »

1 star for Blazing Magnum!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jamie

• Almost Human
« Reply #8 on: 08 Oct 2011 - 13:48 »

Lady Frankenstein (1971-Italian) C-84m. BOMB
???  ???  ???
Oh well, at least Black Belly managed to get 1 and a half..

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #9 on: 08 Oct 2011 - 14:01 »

Fuck Maltin, the John Landis looking motherfucker.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 08 Oct 2011 - 14:10 »

Fuck Maltin, the John Landis looking motherfucker.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Bogan The Wanderer

« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2011 - 05:25 »

I know Bill Warren apparently writes a lot of the cult/horror film reviews in the Maltin book.  They should get Craig Ledbetter to have a run through and write new digest reviews of the spaghettis, Eurocrime and Eurohorror titles.  The movies above don't play on TV anymore and aren't found on VHS lurking for unsuspecting viewers at the back of the video shop.  The only people who will be watching something like Blazing Magnum or Black Belly of the Tarantula these days are people who are receptive to Eurocult movies and who won't find the usual Euro traits of dubbing and sleaze and fun Euro style to be deficits like Warren and Maltin do.  Maltin is a fun critic but I find his typical ragging on fun stuff like Hellbenders to be as misguided as Ebert's slam for The Beyond.

Garbage Can

« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2011 - 17:19 »

Art criticism in all forms is subjective, especially if you're adding a crew and various ghostwriters into the mix. However, I have noticed that there are quite a few reviews that either have gone unedited since the 80s (ex: acknowledging that commercials and editing for content will detract from enjoyment) or been stricken from the Guide altogether (Tony Arzenta/"Big Guns" as No Way Out, which I remember was called "boring" originally in the '81 issue, for one, is no longer there). Still, they cut some slack for the esoteric with caveats like "for ____ fans only" or "_____ might enjoy". They do provide a guide for mail order VHS/LD/DVD vendors, so at least they know that both hardcore collectors and naive viewer alike are reading. At least it's on point for a few...

Fistful Of Dollars (1964-Italian) C-100m. *** D: Sergio Leone. Clint Eastwood, Gian Maria Volanté, Marianne Koch, Wolfgang Lukschy, Mario Brega. Carol Brown. Sagebrush remake of YOJIMBO single-handedly invented the "spaghetti Western," made an international superstar of Eastwood, and boosted the careers of Leone and composer Ennio Morricone as well. Clint plays the laconic Man With No Name, a tough gunslinger manipulating (and manipulated by!) two rival families warring over small frontier town. Amusing, violent, and very stylish. Released in the U.S. in 1967. Sequel: FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE. Techniscope.

For A Few Dollars More (1965-Italian) C-130m. *** D: Sergio Leone. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volanté, Jose Egger, Mara Krup, Rosemarie Dexter, Klaus Kinski, Mario Brega. Sequel to FISTFUL OF DOLLARS finds two gunslingers forming an uneasy alliance in their quest for outlaw Indio (Volanté) - although their reasons for chasing him are markedly different. Slightly draggy but still fun; don't miss the scene where Van Cleef strikes a match on the back of Kinski's neck! Trademark atmospheric score by Ennio Morricone. Released in the U.S. in 1967. Followed by THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY. Techniscope. [R - originally rated M]

Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The (1966-Italian-Spanish) C-161m. ***-1/2 D: Sergio Leone. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach, Rada Rassimov, Mario Brega, Chelo Alonso. Third and best of Leone's "Dollars" trilogy, set during Civil War; three disparate low-lifes search for Confederate treasure chest, each possessing only partial whereabouts. Long, funny, and flamboyant, with memorable Ennio Morricone score; the quintessential spaghetti Western. Followed by ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Techniscope. Restored version (newly dubbed by Eastwood and Wallach) runs 180m. [R - originally rated M]

Once Upon A Time in the West (1968-U.S.-Italian) C-165m. ***-1/2 D: Sergio Leone. Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Gabriele Ferzetti, Paolo Stoppa, Frank Wolff, Jack Elam, Woody Strode, Lionel Stander, Keenan Wynn. Leone's follow-up to his "Dollars" trilogy is languid, operatic masterpiece. Plot, admittedly lifted from JOHNNY GUITAR, has landowner Cardinale waiting for the railroad to come through, unaware she has been targeted by hired killer Fonda (brilliantly casted as one of the coldest villains in screen history). Exciting, funny, and reverent, with now-classic score by Ennio Morricone; not to be missed. Story by Leone, Bernardo Bertolucci, and Dario Argento. Beware chopped-up 140m. version. Techniscope. [M / PG]

Duck, You Sucker (1971-Italian) C-139m. *** D: Sergio Leone. Rod Steiger, James Coburn, Romolo Valli, Maria Monti. Big, sprawling story of Mexican revolution, and how peasant thief Steiger gets talked into taking sides by Irish explosives expert Coburn. Tremendous action sequences; Leone's wry touches and ultra-weird Ennio Morricone score make it a worthwhile diversion. Aka A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE; originally intended to be called ONCE UPON A TIME DURING THE REVOLUTION. Restored to complete Italian running time in 2006; other prints run 121m. and 138m. Techniscope. [PG]

Once Upon A Time in America (1984) C-139m. *** D: Sergio Leone. Robert De Niro, James Woods, Elizabeth McGovern, Tuesday Weld, Larry Rapp, William Forsythe, James Hayden, Treat Williams, Darlanne Fleugel, Burt Young, Joe Pesci, Danny Aiello, Jennifer Connelly, Brian Bloom, James Russo, T. Scott Coffey. Long, engrossing homage to the gangster film, following the rise and fall of Jewish childhood pals on N.Y.C.'s Lower East Side. Shorn of 88m. for U.S. release, story ceases to make sense at several points, and characters appear and disappear with amazing suddenness. Even so, Leone's feel for this genre, compelling performances by De Niro and Woods, and stunning art direction make this well worth watching. Based on Henry Grey's novel The Hoods. Connelly's feature film debut. Complete 227m. version is quite a different film - and not without flaws of its own. (Even this long version is minus several minutes of violent footage - most notably from a key rape sequence - which exist in European prints.) Director's cut runs 229m. Originally released in U.S. at 139m. [R]

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #13 on: 09 Oct 2011 - 17:36 »

Since did has A Fistful of Dynamite have an "ultra-weird Ennio Morricone" score?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #14 on: 09 Oct 2011 - 18:02 »

There's something distinctly weird about a piece of music where amphibians do the vocals, if you ask me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.