• 26 Jun 2022 - 07:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Interest in Italian Crime films on the decline?  (Read 8472 times)

burningcity

Interest in Italian Crime films on the decline?
« on: 17 Dec 2011 - 13:35 »

Being one of the biggest collectors of Euro. crime films, it seems there has been a decline in interest over the last year or so. The fact that there have been so few  releases (especially English language) and also that hardly anyone is doing fandubs/fansubs anymore which were so common and popular over the last few years, seems to indicate interest is waning.

This is why I was hoping that the Euro. Crime documentary would have been released by now. It certainly would revive interest among fans/collectors, and probably create new ones.

I will never give up my strong interest in Euro. Crime films, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the decline in interest.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Re: Interest in Italian Crime films on the decline?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2011 - 14:00 »

I will never give up my strong interest in Euro. Crime films, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the decline in interest.
I too would never give up interest, there's plenty come out though, just no good for us because of lack of English subs/dubs.

Hopefully the Di Leo Blu Ray box will spark some interest to new fans and more things will be released.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2011 - 15:08 »

The interest for me personally isn't on the decline. I'm still as keen as ever on the genre, I have found that I just don't have the time or the enthusiasm to spend on doing fandubs anymore though. I just can't bring myself to spend hours sat at the computer overlaying audio tracks to create a fandub and then see every lurker under the sun crawl out of the woodwork to pester me for a copy.

I have about 500 unwatched VHS ripped DVD-R's at home so I'm quite happy to work my way through those to pass my spare time. And lots of those are crime films I've not caught up with yet so my supply isn't dry yet.

Would be great if Mike's doc spurs on a new revival of these films, fingers crossed.

Can't wait to see the Raro Blu-rays.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2011 - 15:17 »

I just can't bring myself to spend hours sat at the computer overlaying audio tracks to create a fandub and then see every lurker under the sun crawl out of the woodwork to pester me for a copy.
Don't blame you mate.

I often get pm's from members I've never seen before with zero or little posts badgering me for stuff, I just ignore them.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2011 - 06:20 »

I think this site will definitely get busier when Mike's doc hits. There are plenty of people and crave "cool" cinema who have no idea about Italian crime films and I'm sure Eurocrime will lead them to the genre.

I must admit that I have stacks if stuff that remain unwatched. I've had a busy 18 months, but I am hoping to get back into the swing of watching at least one a week.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

mattblake

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2011 - 09:29 »

Things go in cycles though don't they?  When the internet kicked off big time and DVD took over the world there was suddenly loads of interest - or, more precisely, a lot of people who were already interested became connected with forums like this.  It's much the same as how most of the people I know personally with an interest in eurotrash type cinema grew up in the 80s, when all these marvellous films were available and looked so enticing in the video stores.  We're probably in a bit of a lull now, but it'll pick up again.  

What I find really curious is how the new genres (Spanish horror, British crime films, British horror) don't seem to have much of a following...  

Personally I'm still as interested in all this stuff as ever, but as with everyone else it's just a case of too much to do, too little time.  How long is it 'til I retire?

burningcity

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2011 - 14:18 »

What I find really curious is how the new genres (Spanish horror, British crime films, British horror) don't seem to have much of a following...  

Spanish horror is good, but they lack the quality of actors, directors and the music when compared to Italian. Also there is a lot less of them.

British crime... I love them but again, there aren't that many of them, especially the violent type.

British horror... I think there are a ton of people who collect Hammer and Amicus films, but British horror is often also grouped with just regular horror with people who just collect "horror".
I collect horror without any stigma whether they're British, American or Canadian.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2011 - 14:20 »

There are plenty of people and crave "cool" cinema who have no idea about Italian crime films and I'm sure Eurocrime will lead them to the genre.
That's the reason I don't to to see the stuff we love at the cinema anymore, you get all these trendy student types who think they are "unique, alternative, different and cool", see what's showing, think it's the sort of thing they can go and watch then impress their just as "differen" friends about what they've seen.

....but when they get in the cinema it's totally not what they expected and they talk all the way through it and laugh their heads off at every other bit of dubbing ruining it for everyone. You just was to get up and knock the cunts out!

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2011 - 21:59 »

I personally don't think that there is any major difference in the output from companies now than there was last year or the year before. There are still a healthy amount of fan dubbers & subbers out there - and to be honest, it's the guys putting out custom projects that are really helping to keep the genre alive, at least from my perspective. If an Italian company wants to put out non-English friendly Euro crime release on DVD then great, at least it'll be remastered and you can be sure that within a month or so, someone will have created a fan dub or fan sub. As for any DVD companies losing money because of someone downloading a custom fan dub project of their bare bones Italian language only disc...fuck them. Should have had an English option in the first place. They should know by now that a big enough market exists outside Italy.

burningcity

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2011 - 23:58 »

I personally don't think that there is any major difference in the output from companies now than there was last year or the year before. There are still a healthy amount of fan dubbers & subbers out there - and to be honest, it's the guys putting out custom projects that are really helping to keep the genre alive, at least from my perspective. If an Italian company wants to put out non-English friendly Euro crime release on DVD then great, at least it'll be remastered and you can be sure that within a month or so, someone will have created a fan dub or fan sub. As for any DVD companies losing money because of someone downloading a custom fan dub project of their bare bones Italian language only disc...fuck them. Should have had an English option in the first place. They should know by now that a big enough market exists outside Italy.

I agree with you but it seems nobody is doing fandubs/fansubs anymore. Fansubs are much more difficult to do and much more time consuming than fandubs. There are still many great Italian crime films that were on DVD in Italy that could use an English track. If I knew how to do them, I'd do them myself.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2011 - 08:47 »

I'm not really involved in the fan dub/sub scene (although I have been helped out in the past! Thanks for those guys!), so I tend to buy ANY italian crime that has English somewhere. But then again it is a minefield to follow! I go through phases, watching a lot of my war dvds that have been sitting sealed for the last 6 years!

I can't wait to see more crime on Blu!
Dig that groove baby.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2011 - 11:54 »

I don't think that interest in Italian crime films is on the decline.  There have been plenty of DVD releases this year in the US and even one in the UK.  There is still a community devoted to fan dubbing and fan subbing, you just have to know where to look. 

Like Jonny, I no longer have the time to devote to such projects.  The amount of time it takes to synch an audio track to a film can be ridiculous, THE KILLER RESERVED NINE SEATS fan DVD took me well over a year to do.  The pestering for copies you get can also be annoying.

Here's hoping that Mike's documentary leads to some of the unreleased gems appearing on DVD/Blu-Ray.  Hopefully Raro's Blu-Ray set of the Di Leo films will be warmly received and not overly critiqued for poor picture quality.

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2011 - 20:05 »

There is still a community devoted to fan dubbing and fan subbing, you just have to know where to look. 

Yep, agree.

It's all good in my opinion and the genre has come a hell of a long way. If we wind back say 6-7 years, who would have thought that they'd ever be able to watch decent fan subbed copies of films like Porci Con La P.38, La Banda Vallanzasca, Fango Bollente, La Polizia è Al Servizio Del Cittadino?, Roma L'Altra Faccia Della Violenza, Sedia Elettrica and La Polizia Ordina: Sparate a Vista.

The guys on this board deserve a mention for their superbly packaged projects, as does DarioArgento & Davide/Luisa for their bloody excellent fan dubs and last but certainly not least our friend DjangoLi/Merlin who has probably introduced literally hundreds of new fans to the genre through his relentless fan subbing of obscure Italian gems. Hats off to you guys. ;)

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2011 - 15:50 »

I think it's easy for something like this to seem "old news" to us after a few years, especially if you fall in love with the genre as hard as I did from the outset, rabidly devouring everything you can on the subject. But there are plenty of new people who seem to be discovering Eurocrime the same way we all did; I meet them all the time. The genre is not only one of cinema's best-kept secrets (which enhances the "joy of discovery"), but it also just has a vibe unlike anything else. It can be addictive. So I think there will be new fans all the time, and a percentage will turn out to be diehards.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2011 - 16:01 »

The genre is not only one of cinema's best-kept secrets (which enhances the "joy of discovery"), but it also just has a vibe unlike anything else.
I used to get shit from Italian Horror/Giallo fans 20 years ago wondering why I bothered with these films.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.