• 16 Jul 2020 - 16:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What We Want On DVD... Now!  (Read 5770 times)

Stephen Grimes

Re: What We Want On DVD... Now!
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 12:52 »

Alien 2 sulla terra is great stuff and with a wonderful soundtrack. And there's me thinking if Neil saw it for inspiration for The Descent....  :-\

Totally agree Jay and that Oliver Onions soundtrack is a belter,c+w Italian style. :-X
I remember director Kevin Gates' had a beautiful website devoted to this,know what happened to it Jay?
Btw the director Ciro Ippolito starred in and wrote a few of Alfonso Brescia's 'Napoli' crime films,he also pops up in Flavia The Heretic.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 12:55 »

It's on ebay - looks like a boot though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALIEN-TERROR-Die-Saat-des-Grauens-kehrt-zurueck-DVD-RAR_W0QQitemZ120143394493QQihZ002QQcategoryZ7740QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The best version i have seen is the UK tape on VTC which is uncut,lbx and has NO subs,good quality as well.
I think VIPCO(along with Jay) were going to release this at one point in the UK but it never happened,remember reading about it somewhere.

mrb

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 13:05 »

VTC tape i have is horrible and dark, you can hardly see the gloopy bits  :-[
I was expecting good things as well, vtc tapes are generally ok and letterboxed and bright (Nightmare City for example). Must just be my copy is dark.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 13:10 »

I think the best-looking version you can get is the Japanese VHS. Not letterboxed but looks pretty good, like most Jap tapes do.

Jay

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 16:27 »

Yeah, the Japanese print is lovely. However, please note that there are two versions that end slightly differently. I do remember being round Kevin Gates's with some beers going through the different versions. Vipco were looking at the movie as were Hardgore at one point but the Italians priced themselves out of the market for these small labels. I did have a screener but left it on a train after a night on the beers!

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 17:33 »

However, please note that there are two versions that end slightly differently.
I didn't know this,is the other ending on tape anywhere or is it unreleased?

Gatesy

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 08:40 »

Thanks guys. Yeah the Alien 2 website disappeared a few years ago. Although I've still got it saved on the PC so it could be uploaded. Great little film though and I love the ending. The De Angelis score is great as well. I recall in around 2002 we contacted Belinda Mayne who was up for doing an interview for the dvd. As Jay said though, the rights were too expensive and realistically it wouldn't have sold that many copies. Shame.

Kevin

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 09:00 »

Welcome Kevin.
A real shame they wanted so much money for this cool little film,would've been nice to hear what Belinda Mayne(Ferdy'Fearless Vampire Killers' Mayne's daughter) had to say about it as well.Maybe one day we'll see a SE,fingers crossed.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 09:10 »

I('ve never seen ALIEN TERROR - picked up a VTC pre-cert last year but sold it on without watching it. Wish I hadn't now...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jay

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 11:58 »

Hey Kev,

Shall I come to yours next weekend for movies, beer and curry?  :P

Yeah, the distributors wanted over $8000 which is barmy. I think I acquired stuff like Zombie Creeping Flesh for $9000 and Variety were more for the likes of The Last Hunter, Burial Ground, etc, for $10-15000. Now that's a lot of wonga when you consider your outlay, the BBFC, distribution, warehouse costs and then seeing your release in Blockbusters be on a shelf for a week if you're lucky. At least Hardgore and Vipco, despite comments on quality, released these movies. Most now opt for cheap and cheerful shot to video efforts that are easy to buy and are not as much as a risk loss as an expensive Italian flick.

I remember one company who were going to do a deal with Blastfighter and The Iron Master for the UK. $20,000 each! "Sorry?" I said. There was no negotiations. $20,000 for each or no deal. There reason? Tarantino likes these movies so they should be prime movers at the box-office. There was no simply no reasoning with them.

After that, I got into video myself: hence Stink of Flesh, etc, in the UK.

And now there's Kev's new movie. Good on yer!

Jay

vigilanteforce

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 12:12 »

The distributors of these movies are way too greedy. They would rather leave the title unsold forever instead of agreeing to sell at a reasonable price. I don't think the Italians are the only ones though. A few years ago, I was working on a DVD collection of Greek exploitation titles (that never happened by the way) and I had tried to convince a guy to sell the DVD rights to his film (which hadn't been sold anywhere since 1975), only for one year and only for Greece. He said 15.000 Euros which is ridiculous.  :)

Jay

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 12:15 »

I feel your pain, brother, I feel your pain...

vigilanteforce

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 12:24 »

If they agreed to sell at a reasonable price, everybody would be happy (DVD companies, film fans, etc) and the films wouldn't be sitting in dusty shelves forever... Perhaps Tarantino harmed the scene by making all the Italians believe their movies are so special- he should have said the opposite :-\

Jay

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 12:29 »

Well, it's up to them at the end of the day. The danger is that these films that we love pretty much belong to our generation. As we get older, these distributors will realistically see a decline in the demand for their movies: sad but true. I mean, in, say, another twenty years, who'd release an old Italian crime movie or Hill/Spencer movie for silly money. Times have changed as will tastes and values. Blastfighter, Bronx Warriors 2 and Exterminators of the Year 3000 will never grow old!  ;D

vigilanteforce

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 12:49 »

Neither will THE LAST SHARK! Just came out in Italy but it is begging for an English-speaking release as well! I doubt anybody would dare release it in the States though...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.