• 03 Jul 2020 - 13:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Big Sleep (Michael Winner, 1978)  (Read 2121 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
The Big Sleep (Michael Winner, 1978)
« on: 02 Nov 2010 - 09:54 »

I watched this last night and found it enjoyable enough. I've not seen the Howard Hawks version to compare but in the intro to this Michael Winner goes on about his version being closer to the book.

Great internatioal cast too with Robert Mitchum, Oliver Reed, Sarah Miles, James Stewart, Edward Fox, Joan Collins, John Mills, Candy Clark and even Dudley Sutton.

There's an audio commentary by Michael Winner on the dvd which I must get around to listening to, He normally has something interesting to say even if he's blowing his own trumpet.

Great score from Jerry Fielding too, must pick this up sometime.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

cannibal man

Re: The Big Sleep (Michael Winner, 1978)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2011 - 00:24 »

I watched this last night and found it enjoyable enough. I've not seen the Howard Hawks version to compare but in the intro to this Michael Winner goes on about his version being closer to the book.

Great internatioal cast too with Robert Mitchum, Oliver Reed, Sarah Miles, James Stewart, Edward Fox, Joan Collins, John Mills, Candy Clark and even Dudley Sutton.

There's an audio commentary by Michael Winner on the dvd which I must get around to listening to, He normally has something interesting to say even if he's blowing his own trumpet.

big sleep thats what anders has after he eats a family sized trifle.

being serious what a fantastic cast this has.
some real screen legends.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2011 - 09:54 »

The Hawks version is better (more classy) but this version is in some cases more faithful (some of the more salacious details had to be censored from the Hawks version), other than being set in 70's England.

One of the funniest changes in the Hawks version has nothing to do with censorship.  

In the novel, the younger sister Carmen says to Marlowe "You're very tall, aren't you?" and he replies "I don't mean to be."

Bogart was 5'8" so in the film she says "You're not very tall, are you?" and he replies "I try to be."

The Warner R1 DVD has both the original preview and theatrical versions on a double-sided disc.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2011 - 10:29 »

In the novel, the younger sister Carmen says to Marlowe "You're very tall, aren't you?" and he replies "I don't mean to be."

Bogart was 5'8" so in the film she says "You're not very tall, are you?" and he replies "I try to be."

I like little snippets of information like that.  :D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
The Big Sleep (Michael Winner, 1978)
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2012 - 21:56 »

Saw this tonight for the first time - I really liked it. Amazing cast, probably the best ensemble Winner worked with. A really fun film, a lot better than expected.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 35 queries.