• 08 Feb 2023 - 21:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cine Excess 2012  (Read 23050 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2012 - 11:21 »

Were there more people there yesterday, mate?
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Re: Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2012 - 15:29 »

Were there more people there yesterday, mate?
Marginally.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #47 on: 27 May 2012 - 15:35 »

I'm definitely not going to miss the next Cine Excess because a lot of work went into this one and there was a very poor turn out. I can't believe that there are so many Euro Cult fans in London yet hardly anyone made the effort to go. I'm just as guilty - this was the sixth event and I was still living in London when four of the previous five took place and I never went.

My point, is Xavier and co deserve the support of those who are local. It's a great event.

Perhaps the academia angle is putting people off? Also the screenings mostly taking place from home media isn't going to help.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Re: Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #48 on: 27 May 2012 - 15:52 »

Perhaps the academia angle is putting people off? Also the screenings mostly taking place from home media isn't going to help.

You could tell who made up the majority of the audience when the guests of honour left the room and 95% of the audience went with them to start an impromptu signing session. And then left before the film.

The DVD(-R)'s didn't look too hot on screen either. I thought I might have been able to stick a couple out but left after the first five minutes for all the films.

The academic/political theory side actually was worth sitting through just to hear Enzo basically say it's a load of cobblers (at least as far as his films were concerned)

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #49 on: 27 May 2012 - 16:40 »

Pity about the screenings. That's not going to help future attendance.

Did you enjoy yourself though? Meet anybody new?

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #50 on: 27 May 2012 - 17:00 »

And I'm guessing Mark Cockstain* Jordan wasn't there seeing as there's no pics of Aarron with blood on his clothes?

*See what I did there? Funny, isn't it?

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #51 on: 27 May 2012 - 19:14 »

We met Medway Garage and another lurker called Barry. Both were nice.

Justin from Filmbar and Garwin from Shameless were also there but I didn't know anyone else and given the amount of fests and fairs I've attended in and around London over the years it came as a big surprise.

Regardless of how the films were projected, the fact they had Enzo and Sergio in attendance and doing panel discussions should have been enough to pack things out IMO.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #52 on: 27 May 2012 - 19:53 »

Regardless of how the films were projected, the fact they had Enzo and Sergio in attendance and doing panel discussions should have been enough to pack things out IMO.

As soon as I found out those two were attending I was sold. The films were just gravy, would be great if at future events they push the boat out a bit and try for some vintage 35mm or at least something in HD.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #53 on: 27 May 2012 - 22:37 »

The academic/political theory side actually was worth sitting through just to hear Enzo basically say it's a load of cobblers (at least as far as his films were concerned)
That bit was fantastic.  ::)

...and the way he kept moving the microphone nearer bit by bit ready to unleash his comment about his films being neither left or right wing but just entertainment.  :-\

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #54 on: 28 May 2012 - 02:58 »

I'm abroad at the moment but otherwise would definitely have attended. But I really think it's a joke for an event like this to not screen 35 or maybe 16 mm film prints or, at the very least, project from a HD source. And, I have to say, that the academic drive of Cine Excess seriously hampers it's appeal beyond a very minor circle, and it's lack of contact – intentional or not – with the wider eurocult fanbase through online awareness etc just seems like a wasted opportunity... Shame.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

mattblake

« Reply #55 on: 28 May 2012 - 10:22 »

I was there for the talk and it was well worth the £7 (and the train fare).  Only shame is that if it was more of a Q&A type thing I get the feeling Enzo could have carried on for a good three hours of anecdotes.  I didn't feel there was anything particularly new or innovative about the Mary Wood lecture personally, it boiled down to (a) Italy was a pretty crazy place in the seventies (b) film production was done in a workshop style enabling people to get the best results with limited resources and (c) these films are well worth examination because they're cool.  All of which is true, but we all know that don't we.  There were some really glaring problems with some of the opinions (i.e. distrust of authority figures being characteristic of polizioteschi?  Erm, what about spaghetti westerns?  What about peplums?  Heck, what about 50s comedies and melodramas... painting it as a 70s phenomena ignores the twenty odd years of cinema that had happened previously).  But it wasn't a bad overview despite this, and it wasn't too full of academic nonsense-language (although I did enjoy the moment in which Sergio Martino had to ask for clarification about what a filone was...).  I'll definitely go again (and maybe hang around to say hello to you guys next time!)

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #56 on: 28 May 2012 - 22:04 »

I wanted to go this year and give my paper on Fantom Kiler but I couldn't warrant it as I'm off to Italy to get hitched at the end of the week.

Last year was quite busy so it's disappointing to hear that the attendance was poor. Xavier and his team put a lot of effort into CineExcess, he was run ragged last year.  The academic aspect helps to fund the event considerably. Without it there would be no CineExcess.

I really do wish they could secure prints or at least screen Blu-Rays.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #57 on: 28 May 2012 - 22:15 »

Congratulations in advance, Oli!

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
Cine Excess 2012
« Reply #58 on: 28 May 2012 - 22:15 »

Cheers Paul.

medway garage

« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2012 - 09:07 »

Nice to finally meet you guys on the Friday,i enjoyed the event but was frankly baffled by the low turn out.Edwige Fenech was nearly a surprise guest this year, sadly dates clashed and it didn't happen, fingers crossed they invite her next year.I mentioned to Xavier that i was talking to you guys earlier and he wanted to thank you in person for plugging the event.Reading this thread i think i'm in agreement over a lot of what's been said, yes it would be nice to screen 35mm prints, [probably not possible in that venue though ?].I think timings between screenings need to be sorted out, have clear times when you can meet and get things signed by the directors, [noticed they had a signing for Enzo on Saturday but not Sergio ??], otherwise people are scrambling around trying to get things signed before screenings [and i was as guilty as the next man on that].

Oh by the way, the BBC documentary i mentioned about 'Operation Gladio' ['Gladio' BBC Timewatch, 1992] is here;

Operation Gladio [BBC Timewatch, 1992] State-Sponsored Terrorism in Europe 

I see they have joined all three parts together,the part concerning Italy is mainly the second part,i'll try and find a more suitable thread for this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.