• 29 May 2020 - 22:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scream... and Die! (José Ramón Larraz, 1973)  (Read 6950 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Scream... and Die! (José Ramón Larraz, 1973)
« on: 27 Jul 2008 - 09:43 »

This one gets a bit of a bad write up in TEN YEARS OF TERROR but even though it is, admittedly a bit of a daft plot, it still holds up due to the presence of Andrea Allan, who's absolutely gorgeous.

The copy I have is from the UK pre-cert VHS on the Replay label.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Peter

• Special Cop In Action
    • Giallo Locandine
Re: Scream... and Die! (José Ramón Larraz, 1973)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008 - 10:20 »

It's been a while since I last saw it, but I remember liking it. Strange that not more of Larraz films have turned up on DVD. I'd gladly pick up this, Deviation and Whirlpool if they were released.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2008 - 10:26 »

I'd gladly pick up this, Deviation and Whirlpool if they were released.

These three would be great in a little boxed set, could get Larraz and Karl Lanchbury to do interviews and commentary tracks for all three too.

:'(
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008 - 11:30 »

Would be nice but I'd imagine they're in some sort of rights holders hell seeing as they haven't appeared anywhere yet. I've got the pre-cert here, might give it a watch tomorrow. I haven't given it a view for about 20 years.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2008 - 11:34 »

I've got the pre-cert here...

Any chance of a scan of the cover?

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2008 - 11:37 »

My scanners fucked so I'll have to do it in work. Give me a couple of weeks and remind me if I haven't done it by then.

Letterboxd

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2008 - 14:00 »

It's been a while since I last saw it, but I remember liking it. Strange that not more of Larraz films have turned up on DVD. I'd gladly pick up this, Deviation and Whirlpool if they were released.

I liked it too.  SYMPTOMS is another one that deserves an official release.  DEVIATION was marketed as a Swedish/British co-production and WHIRLPOOL as a Danish/British co-production (they might have been funded that way but they had British casts and crews and Italian post-production).  Both had great Stelvio Cipriani scores but okay cinematography.  On the other hand, SYMPTOMS and SCREAM AND DIE had less than memorable scores but excellent atmospheric cinematography by Trevor Wrenn.

SCREAM AND DIE is available in an unauthorized DVD from Substance in the U.S.  It is derived from the uncut Lightning Video US tape release (the film was also released on tape in the US as THE HOUSE THAT VANISHED in a cut rental edition and a somewhat longer sell-through edition), you can tell because whoever transferred the tape to DVD did not lop off the card at the end suggesting that renters interested in the film or similar releases write to Lightning Video.

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2008 - 14:54 »

I really like Larraz`s films, even his slasher cash-in EDGE OF THE AXE is pretty interesting, though not as good as his 70s stuff. I`ve got SCREAM AND DIE on an EP mode Video Treasures tape, but it doesn`t look too bad considering. I`d rate it just below SYMPTOMS in his filmography.

Larraz is seriously under-represented on dvd, my dvd-r of SYMPTOMS is one of the worst in my collection, horrible picture that even goes to black and white in a few places! And my WHIRLPOOL has a counter onscreen throughout.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!

Letterboxd

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #9 on: 05 Aug 2008 - 15:39 »

I really like Larraz`s films, even his slasher cash-in EDGE OF THE AXE is pretty interesting, though not as good as his 70s stuff. I`ve got SCREAM AND DIE on an EP mode Video Treasures tape, but it doesn`t look too bad considering. I`d rate it just below SYMPTOMS in his filmography.

Larraz is seriously under-represented on dvd, my dvd-r of SYMPTOMS is one of the worst in my collection, horrible picture that even goes to black and white in a few places! And my WHIRLPOOL has a counter onscreen throughout.

My WHIRLPOOL also has that counter onscreen.  I'm guessing someone left it on when they did a deck to deck with whatever copy eventually wound up on DVDR.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2008 - 10:37 »

Hallmark using that droning "Its only a movie" crap from LAST HOUSE on this trailer for SCREAM AND DIE under its HOUSE THAT VANISHED title:

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2009 - 11:15 »

I finally saw a copy of the Hallmark THE HOUSE THAT VANISHED version and it's replacement title card is superimposed over the same paint-splotched background as Hallmark's DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT replacement card.

Peter

• Special Cop In Action
    • Giallo Locandine
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2012 - 17:11 »

This was released by Mosaico Media in Italy the other week. It's in Italian language only, so I was on the fence about ordering it, but decided to order it and hopefully make a fan dub.
That's not going to happen though. I got the disc today and it turns out the print looks atrociously bad. Much, much worse than the the decent looking VHS rip screenshots from Jonny's original post. I've added the below.
Hopefully this might stop those of you who were considering picking this up.
Oh well, I'll keep hoping a decent looking dvd will show up some day!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2012 - 17:25 »

I haven't heard anything good about Mosaico.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2012 - 18:48 »

Looks to me like its from an 80s master with some heavy filtering to soften the video grain.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 37 queries.