• 11 Aug 2020 - 18:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Poll

Who is your favourite spaghetti western director?

Tonino Valerii
Sergio Corbucci
Sergio Sollima
Giuliano Carnimeo (Anthony Ascott)
Michele Lupo
Enzo G. Castellari
Duccio Tessari
Gianfranco Parolini (Frank Kramer)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is your favourite spaghetti western director? New Poll  (Read 6823 times)

Nikita

Re: Who is your favourite spaghetti western director? New Poll
« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2007 - 22:33 »

That's correct. I don't deny any talent he may have I just don't see him as the spaghetti God so many make him out to be.

Let's just say he's so popular because he's been credited with putting the SW genre on the map internationally.

The Pallbearer

« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2007 - 22:55 »

I voted Corcbucci, second choice would be either Sollima or Carmineo.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2007 - 23:05 »

It's a very difficult poll to vote on. Another reason to vote for Corbucci would also be his consistency in producing varied but good films considering the number of them he directed. The others only did a few between them. Sollima probably directed the most thought provoking western with his FACE TO FACE and his two other political westerns which speak on class in society more so in BIG GUNDOWN.

And Damiani did probably the best political western with his BULLET FOR THE GENERAL but outside of NOBODY'S THE GREATEST I can't think of any others from him.

The Hunchback

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2007 - 23:11 »

And Damiani did probably the best political western with his BULLET FOR THE GENERAL but outside of NOBODY'S THE GREATEST I can't think of any others from him.

Those are the only two he made.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2007 - 23:13 »

Thought so only I wasn't sure. I knew you'd know, though. ::)

Nadeem

« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2007 - 17:52 »

Not only did Corbucci make some great SWs he was a communist who hated hippies. What's not to love?

pogotheklown

« Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2007 - 00:25 »

I have to go with Sergio Corbucci myself since he directed two of my all time favorite Spaghetti Westerns...Django and The Great Silence.   ::)

Spoon

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 20:41 »

I have to go with Sergio Corbucci myself since he directed two of my all time favorite Spaghetti Westerns...Django and The Great Silence.   ::)

So do I for same reasons. And Sollima is just after.

But where are Demofilo Fidani and Gianni Crea on the list?  :-*

Jay

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 21:14 »

I had to go for Castellari: I do love Keoma. Carnimeo would be a second choice. As for Corbucci, I rate Django as pedestrian, if ground breaking for the time, but Il grande silenzio is sublime wonder.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 21:14 »

If you did a choice out of 100 they probably wouldn't make it :-\

right, i'm of for a double bill of ONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN, DJANGO MEETS SARTANA and ONE THE THIRD DAY ARRIVED THE CROW ::)

Am i fuck!!!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2007 - 02:44 »

I still say Corbucci for his ballsy style going totally against the grain for peoples perception of what a western is supposed to be. Utterly eschewing the super heroics of the Leone DOLLAR movies and opting for a more bleak approach even in his light-hearted films which often had bizarre elements in them. He completely humanizes his heroes and they are often brutalized in a far more worse fashion than the villains. His style often changed as well. Going from mindless violence (DJANGO), to gothic horror western (THE GREAT SILENCE), to suspense western (THE HELLBENDERS; did you see this yet Paul?), opulent political western (THE MERCENARY) and the realm of the comedy western (COMPANEROS).

Not taking anything away from the others. Tessari, Valerii or Castellari or even Sollima and Damiani who contributed less to the genre but great movies, still.

Mart85

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2007 - 08:19 »

If you did a choice out of 100 they probably wouldn't make it :-\

right, i'm of for a double bill of ONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN, DJANGO MEETS SARTANA and ONE THE THIRD DAY ARRIVED THE CROW ::)

Am i fuck!!!

Hahaha

I still say Corbucci for his ballsy style going totally against the grain for peoples perception of what a western is supposed to be. Utterly eschewing the super heroics of the Leone DOLLAR movies and opting for a more bleak approach even in his light-hearted films which often had bizarre elements in them. He completely humanizes his heroes and they are often brutalized in a far more worse fashion than the villains. His style often changed as well. Going from mindless violence (DJANGO), to gothic horror western (THE GREAT SILENCE), to suspense western (THE HELLBENDERS; did you see this yet Paul?), opulent political western (THE MERCENARY) and the realm of the comedy western (COMPANEROS).

Not taking anything away from the others. Tessari, Valerii or Castellari or even Sollima and Damiani who contributed less to the genre but great movies, still.

Nice post, Commissario.

sadystyk

« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2007 - 09:49 »

I would have voted for either Umberto Lenzi or Giulio Questi but neither made your list.

zombiefan3999

« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2007 - 11:17 »

;) Corbucci=Django enough said.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 36 queries.