• 02 Dec 2020 - 08:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Canyon Massacre (Sergio Corbucci, 1965)  (Read 2827 times)

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
Grand Canyon Massacre (Sergio Corbucci, 1965)
« on: 12 Aug 2007 - 20:01 »

Director Sergio Corbucci is probably best remembered now for the dark, grim and nihilistic Spaghetti Westerns, Django (1966) and The Great Silence (1969), but his first genre entry was a very different film. Grand Canyon Massacre (1965) was a typical early Italian Western, from that period when the producers and filmmakers tried their hardest to give the films a Classic American Western feel. So the storyline and ambience is all very typical American Western stuff, while the lead star is the imported James Mitchum (son of Robert), who gives a very flat performance here. The duo of Euro-cult regulars in the supporting cast, George Ardisson and Giacomo Rossi-Stuart, betray the film's European roots.

Most interesting is the fact that the film was shot in Jugoslavia, not Spain, giving it a very different look to most of the Spaghetti Westerns. Ultimately it is a decent, but rather unimpressive film (rather like the Koch Media DVD).

I just blogged some thoughts on the film having rewatched it, and there are links to my full review there.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

The Hunchback

Re: Grand Canyon Massacre (Sergio Corbucci, 1965)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2007 - 04:30 »

It's been said that Corbucci was a second unti director for this.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2007 - 10:52 »

That is curious - the German DVD print clearly lists "Stanley Corbett" as director, which does seem to me to be a direct Americanisation of Sergio Corbucci. Do you have any more information, I would be very interested to read more.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

The Hunchback

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2007 - 21:16 »

That is curious - the German DVD print clearly lists "Stanley Corbett" as director, which does seem to me to be a direct Americanisation of Sergio Corbucci. Do you have any more information, I would be very interested to read more.

Some research I came up with some time ago (can't recall where) claims that the actual director was Alfredo Antonini (who is usually credited to being the second-unit director).

This, of course, could be false.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2007 - 21:42 »

That's interesting. I was always under the impression this was Corbucci's first movie. Perhaps it was to give some early credit to lead to other projects. Chang Cheh did this A LOT on his films just like Morricone allowed Nicolai to get credit for the RUN MAN RUN soundtrack.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2008 - 04:29 »

Watched this tonight. Thought it was really good. More American than Italian style, but lots of fun nonetheless. The film is co-directed by Corbucci and Albert Band. Interesting that it was shot and released before FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and the plot point of warring factions predates the Leone movie. Very reminiscent of the numerous WINNETOU movies where it appears this film shares the same, or similar locations. The second unit director is Franco Giraldi. Stelvio Massi is 'Machine Operator' and Barboni is the DP among the many interesting behind the scenes technicians.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2008 - 11:17 »

Stelvio Massi is 'Machine Operator'
Camera Operator

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2008 - 18:31 »

Stelvio Massi is 'Machine Operator'
Camera Operator

Okay cool. I tried to find a translation for 'alla macchina' and all that came up was the word machine. Since Barboni was the DP, I assume then he was an assistant.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2008 - 11:04 »

Review of the Koch Media DVD is now on the main site...

Massacre at Grand Canyon - Koch Media DVD review
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.