• 23 Jul 2019 - 09:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Madhouse (Jim Clark, 1974)  (Read 1311 times)

the blob

• Violent Professional
Madhouse (Jim Clark, 1974)
« on: 14 Dec 2012 - 13:44 »

An AIP/Amicus co-production headlined by Vincent Price (who else) and Peter Cushing, featuring quite a decent mainly British cast that also includes Linda Hayden and a very brief cameo from Michael Parkinson.

Price is veteran horror star Paul Toombes, known for his roles as Dr Death with Cushing as his trusty actor-turned-screenwriter friend Herbert Flay. At a party, Toombes announces his engagement to Ellen before he finds out some sordid details of here past acting career. Later on, Ellen is murdered by a black-gloved killer. After passing out, Toombes wakes up with one of the gloves next to him, finds Ellen's body and is not sure if he is the killer or not.

Years later after the scandal and a period in a mental institution, having been acquitted, Toombes is dragged out of retirement by Flay to resurrect Dr Death and the murders begin again..

Definitely a minor league Price/AIP but has it's moments and the combination of Price and Cushing is hard to turn down.

It's just had a release in Germany. Not sure it's had a European release before? The US releases are non-anamorphic and the Amazon listing suggests this one is anamorphic and fairly cheap too. The Midnite Movies double bill with Theatre of Blood can go for quite a lot as well.

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Schreckenshaus-Dr-Death-Klassiker/dp/B009XP37U8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355495289&sr=8-2

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Re: Madhouse (Jim Clark, 1974)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2012 - 16:58 »

The US releases are non-anamorphic and the Amazon listing suggests this one is anamorphic and fairly cheap too.
Let's hope so, I've got a few of these KSM Klassiker releases and some are non anamorphic  so we will soon see.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2012 - 22:59 »

There's a review on Amazon that said the quality is good but it's slightly cut compared to the German tape. Then again it's also from a different print with English titles so could well be the same version as the MGM ones. I sold my MM double bill when I saw this was coming because I gave my old single disc of THEATRE OF BLOOD to my Dad who's not even into horror. I'll be having that back then.  ;D

If I find out it's definitely anamorphic I'll order it sometime.

Hellochas

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2012 - 08:28 »

I always thought that this was a really odd film compared to the normal Price / Cushing / Lee films that were made around the same time.

babybreese

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2012 - 14:04 »

Surprised it's cut as it's a rather tame little flick.
Always want to like this more than I do, but regret the offing of Linda Hayden so early.
Natasha Pyne is easy on the eyes so that helps a bit.

the blob

• Violent Professional
Madhouse (Jim Clark, 1974)
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2012 - 14:48 »

The translation was so bad but seems to add up to 5 seconds. It does sound like the tape was a German print with German titles and the DVD has English titles so could be that they had a slightly different version too. I'm trying to find more reviews.

Apparently MGM haven't remastered it so it's also debatable if it's proper or fake anamorphic as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.069 seconds with 34 queries.