• 08 Dec 2019 - 10:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LIST YOUR BOOK/ MAGAZINE COLLECTION  (Read 12385 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: LIST YOUR BOOK/ MAGAZINE COLLECTION
« Reply #30 on: 03 Jan 2008 - 21:13 »

Essential reading circa 1994/5  ::)

I'm pretty sure myself and Marc are the only people who have a complete collection of all 3 issues!

All typed out, cut and pasted with real scissors, by my own fair hand...
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #31 on: 03 Jan 2008 - 21:37 »

::)
Proper fanzine,love the House of Whipcord cover mate.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #32 on: 03 Jan 2008 - 21:47 »

::)
Proper fanzine,love the House of Whipcord cover mate.

I'll scan the other 2 on Saturday. It's quality stuff!  :P
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #33 on: 03 Jan 2008 - 22:18 »

I'm sure I still have those Hidden Details zines here somewhere.

Anybody remember SHEER FILTH?
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #34 on: 03 Jan 2008 - 23:12 »

Sure do Marc. Loved Sheer Filth. It really whetted my film appetite as an impressionable youngster.

"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #35 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 04:29 »

I'm sure I still have those Hidden Details zines here somewhere.

Anybody remember SHEER FILTH?

I think I'm only missing one issue of SHEER FILTH. Pity that Dave didn't manage to pull off that film festival he tried to do (I think it was cancelled at one days notice); that would have been a night to remember.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 15:31 »

R.I.P Psychotronic

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 16:23 »

Loved Psychotronic. Still have all the issues in binders.
Nucleus Films

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #38 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 17:23 »

Yes, it was always my favourite. Loved the fact-filled interviews, its scrappy DIY look and the Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow obsession. I have every issue as well (not in binders though). Spoke to Michael J. Weldon last year for a magazine feature (see below). He has plans to bring Psychotronic back in some guise - not as a mag sadly. The last issue was written and laid out but never hit the printers. Wish he'd do a limited print-run.

PSYCHOTRONIC
Pinhead Freaks! Sex-crazed Scientists! Kung Fu Cowboys!… Psychotronic Video magazine had it all. A renegade publication that became the bible on the world’s weirdest and wildest films. A punk zine that catered for cinephiles with exotic tastes and degenerates craving taboo thrills. Where else could you hear about Z-Grade roughies like Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things? Or hillbilly sleaze like Pig Farmer’s Daughter? Who else would devote 10-page interviews to Carry On icon Frankie Howerd? Or Robert Mitchum’s actor son, Christopher? But after 18 years and 41 issues Psychotronic Video is no more. Its creator Michael J. Weldon looks back on the monster he created…

First off, what exactly is a ‘Psychotronic’ film? “Psychotronic movies are the ones traditionally ignored or ridiculed by mainstream critics at the time of their release,” explains Weldon. “Movies that used to play at drive-ins or inner city grind houses. The basic concept was that there was no point trying to carefully separate horror movies (the ‘psycho’ part) from science fiction movies (the ‘tronic’ part) or from sex, drug, rock and roll, fantasy, action or exploitation movies. Some people might think that Psychotronic is just about bad, cheap, independent, old or obscure movies but new, great, expensive, major studio movies can be Psychotronic too!”

In 1979 Weldon moved from his beloved hometown of Cleveland – where he had drummed in The Mirrors punk band – to a cheap East village apartment in New York owned by a Vietnamese junkie. “My apartment building was some kind of centre for the brief post punk no wave film and music scene,” says Weldon. “But most of the characters were pretty unsavoury and I tried to avoid them.” Instead, he threw himself head first into the cinemas of 42nd Street. It was the heyday of Euro sex films, low budget shockers and badly dubbed action films. And crumbling palaces like The Deuce, The Rialto and The New Amsterdam ran them on triple-bills round the clock. Weldon felt right at home.

Long lost and best-forgotten films were also filling late night slots on local cable channels. Weldon realised like-minded people needed help. “Psychotronic started out in 1980 as a weekly, Xeroxed, illustrated, alternative guide to movies playing on TV in the New York area,” he explains. His cut and paste manual found an addled but receptive audience. And was followed in 1983 by The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film book. “That did really well and so I started the magazine the following year to ride the wave of video madness,” says Weldon. A second bumper book The Psychotronic Video Guide appeared in 1988.

So what went wrong? “Its virtually impossible for a one-man-band publication to exist nowadays,” sighs Weldon. “Most of the independent outlets that we sold through have gone bust and our main distributor filed for bankruptcy last year.” Weldon acknowledges that there are similar publications like Steve Puchalski’s Shock Cinema that continue to survive. “I guess you need to be a workaholic with little or no life outside of self publishing,” he laughs. “I’m not knocking any surviving publications. I should have used some of their policies myself but I have practiced none of them!” Weldon’s anti-Bush covers and long political rants might not have been commercially smart but at least he stuck to his punk roots. Psychotronic had one voice. And it was Weldon’s.

Now working part-time as a disc jockey on local radio and running a bric-a-brac shop with his wife Mia, Weldon hasn’t given up on Psychotronic yet. “Over the years I have been approached several times about doing a Psychotronic TV show,” he says. “I came very close to doing one but the channel executive championing me left for another station. It will definitely happen sometime in the future.”

In the meantime, rest in peace Psychotronic Video. Mr. Weldon, we salute you. And as Cleveland’s TV horror host Ghoulardi used to say: “Stay sick kids!”

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #39 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 17:54 »

A shame Psychotronic is no more,appears that Shock Cinema is the only decent cult movie magazine coming out of the States at the moment.Always used to make a point of buying them at Borders in Oxford Street who stocked both on a regular basis,great read on the long boring tube journey back to south London.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #40 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 18:51 »

Anyone remember GORE GAZETTE?

Or TRASH COMPACTOR?

Just found a very handy reference site:

Movie Mags.com
Nucleus Films

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #41 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 19:05 »

I've got a few sporadic issues of GORE GAZETTE, never read TRASH COMPACTOR though.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jan 2008 - 21:14 »

Got these recently...

EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS (Hardcover)
THE WILD, WILD WEST: THE SERIES (paid a lot for this OOP tome)
THE HAMMER STORY: THE AUTHORIZED HISTORY OF HAMMER FILMS--

I thought this would be more of the same as I've got a number of Hammer books already but this one has some damn nice pics I've never seen before. This is the new revised edition of the book from Marcus Hearn & Alan Barnes.

K August

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2008 - 15:12 »

Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds - Maitland MacDonaugh (the only Argento book I like)
La Dolce Morte - Mikel Koven
The Spaghetti Western - Bert Freilund (boy am I struggling through this)
Glittering Images Western All'italiana volumes 1 and 2

Slowly amassing all the issues of Westerns All'Italiana zine.

I had other stuff but had to sell it last year for school $.

---

As I learn Italian, I want to build up my collection especially with those crime/spaghetti western books (must get Marco G.'s dictionary)

I'd love to find a few issues of the Spaghetti Western zine: Blood Money Vengeance 3, 4 and 6 I think.

And the Nocturno with the ivan il terrible interview...

and naturally some of these Cineromazos...

Tris T

« Reply #44 on: 05 Apr 2008 - 22:01 »

Where ya faith RidgeRider - afterall I was writing for you back in the day!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.