• 25 Oct 2020 - 18:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Passion (Brian De Palma, 2012)  (Read 9929 times)

CardPlayer4

Passion (Brian De Palma, 2012)
« on: 16 Feb 2013 - 08:39 »

What is your opinion about Brian De Palma?
Do you like his films or do you dislike them?
Or you just don't really care about his works...
Myself i tend to think that he's slightly overrated, i quite like his 70's works and some of his others films like "Blow out" and "Casualties of war" but i can do without the rest; i've just seen his last movie "Passion" and it is quite a disaster, easily one of his worst films. :o

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action
Re: "Passion" and the Brian De Palma case...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 08:45 »

I didn't like Obsession.  >:(

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 10:05 »

De Palma is a great filmmaker, one that should be applauded for making films in a variety of different genres, even if some of his forays into new realms (MISSION TO MARS, in particular) are terrible. Across his filmography there are very few mediocre or bad films, the majority are well above average-excellent.

I count CARLITO'S WAY, DRESSED TO KILL and BLOW OUT among my personal favourites and I love CARRIE, SCARFACE, THE UNTOUCHABLES and CASUALTIES OF WAR.

I actually think he's very underrated and certainly someone who should be acknowledged as a master of cinema, rather that the Hitchcock tribute act many smug journalists would have you believe.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

CardPlayer4

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 10:45 »

Across his filmography there are very few mediocre or bad films

I hope that you will enjoy "Passion" Paul, i thought it was terrible, even worse than "Femme fatale" or "Raising Cain" in my opinion...last De Palma film i really liked was "Carlito's way" even if "Mission: Impossible" was rather entertaining.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 12:19 »

i thought it was terrible, even worse than "Raising Cain" in my opinion
I liked Raising Cain.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 13:22 »

I'm with Paul on this... even his misfires – and I include The Untouchables in that category! – are never anything less than entertaining. He does over-the-top melodrama like no one else. My personal favourites are Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise, Scarface, Blow Out and Dressed to Kill.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Funktion

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 14:18 »

I usually refer to De Palma as a director without an inch of originality, but whose work is always a blast to watch.

I find most of his films highly derivative (in some cases almost shamelessly so) of someone else's works, but he always injects them with such vibrancy I find them almost impossible not to enjoy.

I count several of his films as some of my personal favourites (Scarface, Phantom of the Paradise, Dressed to Kill, ...), and the only one I really disliked was Mission: Impossible.
I'm yet to see Passion.

CardPlayer4

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 15:14 »

i thought it was terrible, even worse than "Raising Cain" in my opinion
I liked Raising Cain.

It was somewhat better than "Passion"...maybe more playful and fun (at least for John Lithgow overacting) ?
"Passion"'s first hour looks like generic german tv series, acting, writing, direction, cinematography and production design are especially weak.
During the film's last third the plot becomes more ludicrously convoluted and Brian De Palma tries to remember that he's Brian De Palma with many nods to his past thrillers and contrived visual gimmicks (the split screen scene, one of the very few "set-pieces", has no special purpose and ends up being silly); i'd say that the best thing is Donaggio's uneven score, even if its lyricals tones don't really work with De Palma's ugly visuals...one of Donaggio's theme is a rip off of Morricone's "The Thing".

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 15:43 »

Forgot to mention PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, another in the 'films I love selection'.

I like RAISING CAIN and FEMME FATALE too :)
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 17:07 »

The De Palma film I find myself enjoying the most is actually THE FURY but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority as no one else has even mentioned it. BLOW OUT is a terrific film too but I find many of De Palma's other films (including SISTERS, CARRIE and DRESSED TO KILL) to be overrated. I don't think they're bad, but they're not as great as they're often made out to be.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 17:08 »

The De Palma film I find myself enjoying the most is actually THE FURY but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority as no one else has even mentioned it.
I really like The Fury, wouldn't be my favourite though. Funny enough I ordered the Blu Ray last night.

Funktion

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 18:24 »

Funny enough I ordered the Blu Ray last night.
Me too, along with John Carpenter's Christine.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 18:44 »

The De Palma film I find myself enjoying the most is actually THE FURY but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority as no one else has even mentioned it. BLOW OUT is a terrific film too but I find many of De Palma's other films (including SISTERS, CARRIE and DRESSED TO KILL) to be overrated. I don't think they're bad, but they're not as great as they're often made out to be.

For me THE FURY is middle of the road De Palma, it's not great but it's an enjoyable film. I think my fundamental issue with the it is that it came very soon after CARRIE and shares a lot of thematic elements with that film and ends up coming across like he was coasting it a little.

I'm definitely keen to see PASSION. I know it's a remake of a French film but I've not seen the original. Last year, whilst De Palma was in pre-production on PASSION it was announced that hes was attached to direct a remake of the Burt Reynolds film HEAT with Jason Statham set to star. The film is still going ahead but is now to be directed by Simon West instead.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 18:46 »

Funny enough I ordered the Blu Ray last night.
Me too, along with John Carpenter's Christine.
They sold out within 5 hours!

Not doubt the majority of them scooped up with the "10 per customer" limit.

Soon to be on eBay for $150+!!!

Funktion

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2013 - 19:40 »

They sold out within 5 hours!

Not doubt the majority of them scooped up with the "10 per customer" limit.

Soon to be on eBay for $150+!!!
Twilight Time handled this very poorly. Plenty of people wanted to purchase a copy and were unable to, because quite a few people purchased dozens of copies (the 10 limit, with more than one account) to sell on Ebay. In fact, some had listings on Ebay before pre-orders even opened.

Christine was pretty much certain to sell-out before the release date, so they should have instituted a 1-2 copies for account policy from the start, and later on closer to release date, if there's copies left, allow more copies to be ordered.

I managed to place my order after 45 minutes or so of trying (the website was down as soon as pre-orders opened).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.