• 22 Jul 2019 - 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild beasts / Belve feroci (Franco E Prosperi, 1983)  (Read 27906 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

An un named European city has it's water supply contaminated with PCP and the local Zoo animals go nuts and manage to escape. Rampaging across the city they eat everyone who gets in their way, Tigers, Lions, Polar Bears and even Elephants are loose on a deadly stampede of bloodlust!

Saw this for the first time tonight. Not sure which Prosperi it is that directed it, though judging by some of the animal cruelty I'm thinking it's the one who had a hand in 'Mondo Cane' and not the one who Directed 'La Settima Donna'.

Pretty dull film overall and shot almost entirely at night which does start to grate after a while, interesting for the use of real animals but let down by the shots of lions attacking cows and hyenas trying rip the ears off pigs holed up in small pens, not stock footage but real animal attacks staged especially for the film. No need for that kind of stuff in my book.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

vigilanteforce

Re: Wild beasts/Belve feroci (Franco E Prosperi, 1983)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:20 »

This one has quite a reputation although I have never seen it. I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that it would get a DVD release but don't remember more. Sounds hilarious!

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:22 »

Never see this but have been meaning to though i trust your judgement Jonny and think i'll give it a wide berth now,the thought of watching more real life animal slaughter is enough as well.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:32 »

This one has quite a reputation although I have never seen it. I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that it would get a DVD release but don't remember more. Sounds hilarious!

It's not that bad a film really and is quite hilarious when you think about it, especially the rat attack on a couple who are making out in their car. Just a shame we have to see the rats being burnt alive for real later on, including live rats on fire running around. If they'd kept that shit off screen it'd be a real schlocky winner of a film. The Polar bear attack is like something out of 'Grizzly' with a big fake paw taking chunks out of a schoolteacher.

The ending is quite fun though...

SPOILERS!

A class full of kids hiding out from the animals with their teacher are found at the end to have also drunk the PCP laced water and have murdered the teacher and gone mental too!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:40 »

The live rats running around on fire sounds a bit like Naschy's Hunchback of the Morgue.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:41 »

The live rats running around on fire sounds a bit like Naschy's Hunchback of the Morgue.

There's some of that in 'Cannibal Apocalypse' as well.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:43 »

I think there were real rats getting shot and drowned in a trashy US film titled FOOD FOR THE GODS (that even spawned a sequel).

There's Lorraine De Selle in WILD BEASTS right? That's another reason for anybody to give it a watch.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:50 »

There's Lorraine De Selle in WILD BEASTS right? That's another reason for anybody to give it a watch.
YES!!
She looked and acted HOT in Fernando di Leo's Vacanze per un massacro(Madness) :D

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 21:51 »

Yes, she plays a 'Professor' who thinks the idea of PCP "Sounds wild!" in a way that makes out that she wouldn't mind a dabble herself!  :-\

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 22:06 »

Yes, she plays a 'Professor' who thinks the idea of PCP "Sounds wild!" in a way that makes out that she wouldn't mind a dabble herself!  :-\
Sounds like my kind of gal  ::)

vigilanteforce

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 22:54 »

De Selle is great, I like her in everything I have seen her: CANNIBAL FEROX, THE NEW GODFATHERS, Mattei's WOMEN'S CAMP 119 and BLADE VIOLENT, HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK, MADNESS that Stephen mentioned... She is an Italian exploitation goddess! She was indeed hot but with an "elegant" touch- she didn't have that "cheap slut" look that many of today's actresses have.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2007 - 23:19 »

Someone gets their head crushed by an elephant in this too, I think and a tiger attacks some people on a bus or something like that? Saw this years ago. Lightning Video put this out here I believe.

sadystyk

« Reply #12 on: 08 Oct 2007 - 13:46 »

It's not that bad a film really and is quite hilarious when you think about it, especially the rat attack on a couple who are making out in their car. Just a shame we have to see the rats being burnt alive for real later on, including live rats on fire running around. If they'd kept that shit off screen it'd be a real schlocky winner of a film. The Polar bear attack is like something out of 'Grizzly' with a big fake paw taking chunks out of a schoolteacher.

The ending is quite fun though...

SPOILERS!

A class full of kids hiding out from the animals with their teacher are found at the end to have also drunk the PCP laced water and have murdered the teacher and gone mental too!
The rat attack might have been funny if they hadn't just bitten to death a cat that looked like it was tied to the floor to stop it running away. 

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #13 on: 08 Oct 2007 - 14:57 »

I'd love to see this film receive a DVD release. It's been years since I saw it. I seem to recall that there's some underage female nudity which would probably be problematic these days.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2007 - 22:47 »

I have an old Dutch VHS of this, which I haven't watched in ages but I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed by it all. It fails to work up much suspense or fun for most of the time. The ending with the kids really is quite cool, though, and there's an alsatian dog who goes for his owners throat (apparantly, this was obligatory for most Italian horror films made after SUSPIRIA). There's something very tasteless about the nude shots of Lorraine De Selle's pre-teen daughter as her nudity is filmed in a very sexualized way but I guess this isn't too surprising as Lara Wendel had paved the way for such scenes some years earlier. As for Lorraine De Selle, she is dubbed with the same voice she had in both FEROX and HOUSE but the similarities end there, as she is far more plain-looking this time around and pretty under-used too. I was more happy to see Ugo Bologna from ZOMBIE and NIGHTMARE CITY, who is pretty fun here in a more sizeable role than usual for him as the police inspector. I ought to re-watch this some day and see how it holds up. I might find it more agreeable this time around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 34 queries.