• 24 Sep 2017 - 06:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Before Midnight (Pete Walker, 1979)  (Read 3003 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Home Before Midnight (Pete Walker, 1979)
« on: 01 Aug 2007 - 09:07 »

I’ve been checking out a variety of Pete Walker films recently, as I was particularly impressed by FRIGHTMARE, HOUSE OF WHIPCORD and THE HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN – I’ve found his films to be great on many levels. So last night I checked out his drama HOME BEFORE MIDNIGHT and unfortunately, didn’t feel the same.

The film is the story of Mike: a songwriter who becomes romantically involved with a young girl, Ginny. Ginny alludes to being a student of art and the pair soon fall in love. Unbeknownst to Mike, she’s just 14 years old and after playing “hide the sausage” on countless occasions, Mike realises the girl’s age; but only by chance. His initial reaction is to end the affair but after some goading from Ginny and soul searching, Mike realises he cannot live life without his muze and carries on regardless. However, this being a moralist manifesto, it’s not long before Ginny’s parents discover the truth about their daughter’s high-flying friend, and call the police. It gets worse, as Ginny’s father insists that Mike has raped Ginny and caught up in all the confusion and scared of the repercussions, Ginny agrees to make a statement that supports this claim. About to stand trial on the exaggerated charges, Mike’s world begins to come crashing down around him…

From the cannibalism in FRIGHTMARE to the critical assault on the Catholic faith in THE HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN, Walker and his writers have never shied away from confrontational issues, usually fusing them in a way to make them palatable for exploitation audiences. The theme of statutory rape is as sensationalist as anything else that Walker had done to date, but lacks the complexity of his better films because of some wooden acting, ham-fisted dialogue and a protagonist which one cannot empathise; Mike has the chance to chose a path of righteousness when he discovers Ginny’s age, but after a short spell of contemplation, decides to recommence his relationship with the underage girl. From this moment on, he’s deserving of whatever fate the court decides, IMO. That said, Ginny isn’t a character that can be pitied, neither due to her own manipulative nature. In fact, none of the characters--Ginny's mother aside--seem to have any redeeming qualities at all.

The film stands as an interesting curio; one that isn’t totally unsuccessful but left me craving a more satisfying conclusion. The handful of film’s that Walker made up until that point were quite subversive and concluded at a point where the audience could be drawn into conversation but HOME BEFORE MIDNIGHT just ends on a whimper.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
Re: Home Before Midnight (Pete Walker, 1979)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2007 - 10:46 »

Make sure you watch COOL IT CAROL next.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2007 - 10:48 »

Make sure you watch COOL IT CAROL next.

I've ordered it, mate but am still waiting for it to arrive. Will probably watch FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW next. That leaves me with HOUSE OF LONG SHADOWS and DIE SCREAMING MARIANNE, and I've not heard anything positive about neither!
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2007 - 11:02 »

I think i've only seen frightmare and i thought it was shit

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2007 - 11:12 »

I think i've only seen frightmare and i thought it was shit

You should watch it again, then - it's an excellent film. Bear in mind, you watched it about 15 years ago and it was under duress from that blue Fiesta-driving dildo. Let's be fair, we'd usually hate anything he suggested, just to give ourselves the opportunity to slag him off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 23 queries.