• 23 Oct 2020 - 11:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man, Pride & Vengeance / L'uomo, l'orgoglio, la vendetta (Luigi Bazonni, 1968)  (Read 2920 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

MAN, PRIDE & VENGEANCE 1968- aka L' UOMO, L'ORGOGLIO, LA VENDETTA

Franco Nero, Tina Aumont, Klaus Kinski

Directed by Luigi Bazonni

Nero is the doomed and naive soldier, Jose who falls madly in love with a vagabond gypsy woman, Carmen (Aumont). Through a series of events, Jose gets involved in thievery, murder and eventually madness as this schizophrenic female strips him of his dignity and his inevitable downfall by films end.

Never seen a Luigi Bazonni film before and after this one I'd like to see more. Beautifully shot film which obviously had a sizeable budget compared to many other italian westerns. If it didn't, Bazonni and his cinematographer made it look like it did. I really enjoyed this movie possibly because I connected so much with Nero's character having dealt with a woman very much identical to the one in this movie. As much as I tend to dislike Nero's fight scenes and some of his performances, this is the best movie I've seen him in. No dragging coffins, no half breed Indian avengers, just a complete and tragic performance of a man who does things above and beyond rational thinking for the futile affections of an emotionally cold, callous and empty souled woman. Franco Nero also dubs his own voice.

Can't say enough good about this one. To reveal too much about the plot would spoil the many twists in this dramatic and very depressing movie. Although the first 40 minutes bear no resemblance to a spaghetti western and the remainder of the picture never quite makes it onto DJANGO territory(although there are a couple of shoot outs and a spectacular explosion and stagecoach robbery)the dramatics of the story drive the film to its shocking ending.

Kinski has a supporting role as a prison escapee with ties to Carmen. His performance is not as OTT as others films featuring him and it is just as well because the film is not about Kinski. However, he adds some added villainy to the film.

The soundtrack is unique as it's not the typical spaghetti style score and is a bit bombastic. Kinski has a supporting role here as well. If you're looking for mindless gunbattles and no story whatsoever you should steer clear of this one. Highly recommended for those seeking something different for a change in their pasta oaters.

Mart85

Nice review.  I think it's a great spaghetti western even if it isn't really a spaghetti western.  Excellent performances all round and Tina Aumont is very easy on the eye.

She's also in Bazonni's other western THE SHORT AND HAPPY LIFE OF THE BROTHERS BLUE.  Another great entry from Bazonni.

LANZETTA

Yes easily one of Nero's best films/performances. ::)

The Hunchback

I can't deny Nero's great performance but I was hoping the plot to be a little more engaging (especially the scenes before Kinski shows up).
I found it hard to believe that Nero would put up with such a whorish little bitch. Then again, I've been in worse relationships that have lasted over 3 years so...

IL COMMISSARIO

(In sinister Darth Vader voice) Never underestimate the POWER of a piece of ass!

The Hunchback

(In sinister Darth Vader voice) Never underestimate the POWER of a piece of ass!

True.

LANZETTA

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Anyone know if this had a decent DVD release? If so, where can it be ordered from?

Thanks.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Silence

This film seems to have the perfect cast!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.