• 19 Oct 2020 - 15:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diva (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981)  (Read 2940 times)

Wes

Diva (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981)
« on: 08 Jun 2009 - 15:10 »

I caught a midnite screening of this 1981 French movie on Irish TV at the weekend, and I have to say I really liked it - can't believe I missed this one over the years. The story follows a young French mailman who's being persued by gangsters for two cassette tapes - one is bootleg recording of an opera singer, while the other one has information that will incriminate a crime boss. The Hitchcockian plot aside, Diva is a very cool stylish movie, and has at least one brilliant chase sequence in a Parisian metro station (one of the best I've seen since What Have They Done To Your Daughters). The film has an incredible sense of space, with a sort of otherworldliness that Godard brought to Alphaville and Gilliam with Brazil. Its all looks incredible too - shot with bold primary colors. I wonder had James Cameron been a fan of the film in the early 80's - there's a scene where the hero is persued through an arcade by a vicious, emotionless, almost machine-like hitman, and it stongly reminded me of the cyborg stalking Sarah Connor in the Technoire bar in The Terminator....

bronxwarriors1990

Re: Diva (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2009 - 15:14 »

I saw a 35mm print of this at a midnight show last year - also in Ireland (what is it with the Irish and DIVA)? - and it holds up pretty well after all this time. I must admit I prefer THE MOON IN THE GUTTER, though.

Wes

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun 2009 - 15:37 »

I saw a 35mm print of this at a midnight show last year - also in Ireland (what is it with the Irish and DIVA)? - and it holds up pretty well after all this time. I must admit I prefer THE MOON IN THE GUTTER, though.

Great story Bronx.... Actually, it was a mistake that I ended up seeing the film at all.... I initially thought I was sitting down to watch Luc Besson's Subway, which I hated when I first saw it years ago, but thought I'd give it another view....

I seem to remember The Moon In The Gutter on the inside of those old Palace sell-thru tapes. Worth seeking out so ?

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun 2009 - 16:55 »

DIVA is an excellent film.  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Zarith

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2009 - 17:39 »

Beineix was a little genius in the early eighties.

Diva, The Moon in the Gutter and Betty Blue share a breathtaking cinematography, fantastic soundtrack and unique atmosphere.

I don't know what happened to him... He had so much talent back then. Now he is just boring. IP5 and Mortal Transfer are both mediocre (he even admits it).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.