• 22 Aug 2017 - 15:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Amuck / Alla ricerca del piacere (Silvio Amadio, 1972)  (Read 24541 times)

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
Re: Amuck / Alla ricerca del piacere (Silvio Amadio, 1972)
« Reply #75 on: 27 Feb 2017 - 19:38 »

My copy of the 88 Films release arrived today. I've only taken a quick look at it, but the print looks lovely... For me, money was an issue here. £10 on Amazon, as opposed to the £30 + postage, or thereabouts, I'd expect to pay for the Camera Obscura release. They're a great company, and I have a few of their releases, but I don't feel I always have to have them. For instance, I have their release of Short Night Of Glass Dolls, and it's very nice, but I prefer the 88 Films release because it has the English dub... Going back to Amuck, it'll be interesting to see which release comes out on top, with Camera Obscura and Le Chat Qui Fume releasing their versions soon. Finally, I'm curious about why 88 Films seem to get so much bad press. I have a few of their releases, and I like them: often bare bones, but that suits me fine. Can someone fill in the blanks?

logboy

• Almost Human
« Reply #76 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 04:32 »

My copy of the 88 Films release arrived today. I've only taken a quick look at it, but the print looks lovely... For me, money was an issue here. £10 on Amazon, as opposed to the £30 + postage, or thereabouts, I'd expect to pay for the Camera Obscura release. They're a great company, and I have a few of their releases, but I don't feel I always have to have them. For instance, I have their release of Short Night Of Glass Dolls, and it's very nice, but I prefer the 88 Films release because it has the English dub... Going back to Amuck, it'll be interesting to see which release comes out on top, with Camera Obscura and Le Chat Qui Fume releasing their versions soon. Finally, I'm curious about why 88 Films seem to get so much bad press. I have a few of their releases, and I like them: often bare bones, but that suits me fine. Can someone fill in the blanks?

88 seem to keep making mistakes they dont appear to readily admit to or seemingly make efforts to correct, as well as showing a lack of appreciation or understanding which hints at a lack of true interest in the films theyre releasing. its happened so frequently that i dont trust what im going to get, and i wont risk my money on them - try finding reviews of their releases, and try being critical in the face of a fanbase thats apparently blind to the issues or unwilling to have their little collection tainted with discussion of bad presentations and careless mistakes. ive had many potential releases of their on my list of purchases, but knocked off all but one because theres an issue that doesnt get approached or corrected, and no sense theres an ongoing attempt to do anything more than plough on rather carelessly.

i want 'amuck!', but even with CO master, i need to hear (reliably) how its been used, incase manipulated or altered, compressed or similar.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #77 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 11:48 »

88 seem to keep making mistakes they dont appear to readily admit to or seemingly make efforts to correct, as well as showing a lack of appreciation or understanding which hints at a lack of true interest in the films theyre releasing. its happened so frequently that i dont trust what im going to get, and i wont risk my money on them - try finding reviews of their releases, and try being critical in the face of a fanbase thats apparently blind to the issues or unwilling to have their little collection tainted with discussion of bad presentations and careless mistakes. ive had many potential releases of their on my list of purchases, but knocked off all but one because theres an issue that doesnt get approached or corrected, and no sense theres an ongoing attempt to do anything more than plough on rather carelessly.

i want 'amuck!', but even with CO master, i need to hear (reliably) how its been used, incase manipulated or altered, compressed or similar.

I have to say I'm at a loss why folks don't like their stuff. I personally love all the releases I have bought! For less than 10 notes how can one possibly complain? Remember when we were stuck with 3rd-gen ropey copies of Absurd on VHS? Did we complain then? No!

They are a bit crap with replying (I'll give them benefit of the doubt they're a small team), but never had problems dealing with them at the end of the day. What issues are you talking about with their disks?

However didn't they screw over some folks with subtitles, or am i getting confused with something else?
Dig that groove baby.

logboy

• Almost Human
« Reply #78 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 13:49 »

I have to say I'm at a loss why folks don't like their stuff. I personally love all the releases I have bought! For less than 10 notes how can one possibly complain? Remember when we were stuck with 3rd-gen ropey copies of Absurd on VHS? Did we complain then? No!

They are a bit crap with replying (I'll give them benefit of the doubt they're a small team), but never had problems dealing with them at the end of the day. What issues are you talking about with their disks?

However didn't they screw over some folks with subtitles, or am i getting confused with something else?

i'm sure there was a time when i wouldn't complain, and plenty of times when flaws are there in retrospect with plenty of discs - however, given that they release some of the kinds of films i have an long-standing interest in, and that there's (as i've already said) an ongoing sense that they're careless with their work, £9 is too much for such uncertainty and basic, careless mistakes.

the latest i discounted from purchasing was "seeding of a ghost" - they used the mandarin audio instead of the cantonese, and eventually stated they weren't able to distinguish between the two languages, and had been told by the company supplying the master that it was what it ultimately proved not to be.

i won't try to detail the issues i've seen mentioned, and i'm sure there's issues possible issues i've not noticed because i've not had an interest in those particular discs, but there's been enough for me to be more than hesitant despite the low prices.

i'd rather see other companies working on these films, companies with better reputations and higher quality work, a better track record.

i'm looking after the pennies in the aim of the pounds looking after themselves - that my nature, my experience, my age, my situation and my budget at work, so i  feel perfectly free to feel justified in not feeling somehow obliged to risk my money on products it's hard to get a substantial opinion of, hard to get reviews of, hard to argue against the quality of, and hard to see resolutions to problems being forthcoming or acknowledged. 

many still think cheap can be accepted despite how much great work doesn't come at a price much higher than 88's typical one - i think i can often say i've found such films on DVD typically cost me around £7+ for many years, and BD's having (until recently) cost about £13 or so to import.

yes, i too remember VHS copies (never had many 25+ years back) and am still inclined to be grateful for a chance to see films, but i will not buy anything multiple times and hate the time it can take for new selections to appear amongst those films that keeping popping back up year after year.

considering how much ground gets retrodden in what's released in any country, i usually take films that show they're not hugely obscure within my field(s) of interest to be very likely to reappear in the future in an edition that improves the work that might have been done some years earlier by another company.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #79 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 14:17 »

i'm sure there was a time when i wouldn't complain, and plenty of times when flaws are there in retrospect with plenty of discs - however, given that they release some of the kinds of films i have an long-standing interest in, and that there's (as i've already said) an ongoing sense that they're careless with their work, £9 is too much for such uncertainty and basic, careless mistakes.

the latest i discounted from purchasing was "seeding of a ghost" - they used the mandarin audio instead of the cantonese, and eventually stated they weren't able to distinguish between the two languages, and had been told by the company supplying the master that it was what it ultimately proved not to be.

i won't try to detail the issues i've seen mentioned, and i'm sure there's issues possible issues i've not noticed because i've not had an interest in those particular discs, but there's been enough for me to be more than hesitant despite the low prices.

i'd rather see other companies working on these films, companies with better reputations and higher quality work, a better track record.

i'm looking after the pennies in the aim of the pounds looking after themselves - that my nature, my experience, my age, my situation and my budget at work, so i  feel perfectly free to feel justified in not feeling somehow obliged to risk my money on products it's hard to get a substantial opinion of, hard to get reviews of, hard to argue against the quality of, and hard to see resolutions to problems being forthcoming or acknowledged. 

many still think cheap can be accepted despite how much great work doesn't come at a price much higher than 88's typical one - i think i can often say i've found such films on DVD typically cost me around £7+ for many years, and BD's having (until recently) cost about £13 or so to import.

yes, i too remember VHS copies (never had many 25+ years back) and am still inclined to be grateful for a chance to see films, but i will not buy anything multiple times and hate the time it can take for new selections to appear amongst those films that keeping popping back up year after year.

I'm not enough of a video-phile to notice these things, I guess. I buy a blu ray from 88 I get a really nice looking print of an obscure Italian flick with a few bits and bobs as extras all for anything as little as £7! All I've seen is a nice track record for 88 products and can't be happier. I've not really seen any negative comments about their product. Agreed they aren't CO, but as mentioned earlier a 30€ disk compared to a 10€ disk of the same film is a no brainer, there better be substantial differences  ;D

As for "seeing of a ghost", I couldn't comment on it as I'm not familiar with that cinema. Right now as I type I'm thinking what does it matter"? I'm guessing it was filmed in Cantonese? If that was the case then yeah it would drive a collector mad I suppose!!

I still think their disks are spot on!  :P

Dig that groove baby.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #80 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 14:21 »

That reminds me of conversations here a few years back of a blog in the US where the guy would so picky over the dvd/blu ray releases (I don't remember who though), his expectations were hilarious.  :D
Dig that groove baby.

logboy

• Almost Human
« Reply #81 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 15:21 »

As for "seeing of a ghost", I couldn't comment on it as I'm not familiar with that cinema. Right now as I type I'm thinking what does it matter"? I'm guessing it was filmed in Cantonese? If that was the case then yeah it would drive a collector mad I suppose!!

'seeding of a ghost' issue goes like this, for me : a label starts a series of old films from pre-97 HK and uses an audio track intended for it's mainland china audience. why on earth would i trust their work if they can't even spot the difference between the languages - that's a bare basic, an absolute deal breaker.

i don't think it's as much unrealistic to expect decent work as i think it's daft to pay for work that isn't decent. we've all done it, we all try to learn not to always do it (hopefully) and we are all in our own situations with our own criteria.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #82 on: 01 Mar 2017 - 15:29 »

'seeding of a ghost' issue goes like this, for me : a label starts a series of old films from pre-97 HK and uses an audio track intended for it's mainland china audience. why on earth would i trust their work if they can't even spot the difference between the languages - that's a bare basic, an absolute deal breaker.

i don't think it's as much unrealistic to expect decent work as i think it's daft to pay for work that isn't decent. we've all done it, we all try to learn not to always do it (hopefully) and we are all in our own situations with our own criteria.

Ouch i get you on that HK flick! Kind of a weird thing not to notice!!
However I'll still stick to my guns  :D, I don't see where 88 are not decent. All their disks I have bought hit the spot.
Dig that groove baby.

Strigoyu

• Almost Human
« Reply #83 on: 02 Mar 2017 - 06:39 »

I'll go straight to CO release as I really don't mind paying 30€ or more for a movie that I'm completely sure they restored in the best way they could. Apart from that, I'm a great fan of  extras. Thanks, CO!

logboy

• Almost Human
« Reply #84 on: 02 Mar 2017 - 09:39 »

I'll go straight to CO release as I really don't mind paying 30€ or more for a movie that I'm completely sure they restored in the best way they could. Apart from that, I'm a great fan of  extras. Thanks, CO!

the 88 disc of 'amuck!' uses the master that CO created; they've sold them the rights to use it.

now, although that's the case, i'm still hesitant, because i want to see if they leave it alone or manage to do something which would make the two discs not comparable. for example : lower capacity disc, DNR, and so on ...

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #85 on: 02 Mar 2017 - 14:09 »

CO one will also have a soundtrack CD, better extra.

And will be free of a certain person's extras (which in itself is a major bonus  ;D )

I won't give him the pleasure of naming him, although I expect his little buddy to screenshot this post and send it to him anyway  :(

So it will be the CO one for me, an exta £20 well spent  ::)

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #86 on: 02 Mar 2017 - 19:41 »

I'll hang on for the CO release as I have the others . I do wish they'd release their version of Bloodstained Butterfly soon though... I've held off the 88 version but I'm getting twitchy now!

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #87 on: 03 Mar 2017 - 09:33 »

I have almost all the CO releases (didn't bother with Wild Beasts or the Mattei flick), love them! Still need to grab the last one on blu. Bit of a pain to get my mits on a copy (too expensive or only via German language sites, wish they'll sell on Amazon!) I'll grab Amuck from CO too probably.

I still believe that 88 are doing a good job letting us genre fans get our hands on some obscure cinema in HD. Yeah they aren't the platinum of video companies but I appreciate how we can get a good genre flick for less than a tenner! As the for extras I think they more or less great!!

CO are like the Noshame of this decade, outstanding and I hope they continue giving us amazing disks! I hope they look into some Mattei actioners  :P
Dig that groove baby.

logboy

• Almost Human
« Reply #88 on: 04 Mar 2017 - 07:35 »

I have almost all the CO releases (didn't bother with Wild Beasts or the Mattei flick), love them! Still need to grab the last one on blu. Bit of a pain to get my mits on a copy (too expensive or only via German language sites, wish they'll sell on Amazon!) I'll grab Amuck from CO too probably.

I still believe that 88 are doing a good job letting us genre fans get our hands on some obscure cinema in HD. Yeah they aren't the platinum of video companies but I appreciate how we can get a good genre flick for less than a tenner! As the for extras I think they more or less great!!

CO are like the Noshame of this decade, outstanding and I hope they continue giving us amazing disks! I hope they look into some Mattei actioners  :P

CO can easily be bought via amazon germany. the structuring of all amazon sites matches despite the variation in languages, to a very large extent - plenty of people manage to navigate without really understanding the different languages.

88's selection of films is far from obscure, i'm afraid - perfectly well known, obvious to the point of not really needing any specialist knowledge beyond what's generally known by fans of such films. this is why i don't mind paying out more for alternative editions from elsewhere or waiting on new versions in years to come - because they're picking what's long been regarded as films that come around again. CO, on the other hand, do spot and select some very obscure stuff.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #89 on: 04 Mar 2017 - 08:11 »

88's selection of films is far from obscure, i'm afraid - perfectly well known, obvious to the point of not really needing any specialist knowledge beyond what's generally known by fans of such films. this is why i don't mind paying out more for alternative editions from elsewhere or waiting on new versions in years to come - because they're picking what's long been regarded as films that come around again. CO, on the other hand, do spot and select some very obscure stuff.

Perfectly put, logboy, they don't seem to put out anything that people who've been into the stuff for years haven't seen, whilst some (obviously not all) of the stuff on CO is a first time watch or a first time watch in a decent edition or an edition you can now understand.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 21 queries.