• 18 Nov 2019 - 02:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All Coppers Are Bastards (Sidney Hayers, 1971)  (Read 2941 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
All Coppers Are Bastards (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« on: 31 Aug 2007 - 09:07 »

ALL COPPERS ARE BASTARDS (or as it's referred to on the packaging: ALL COPPERS ARE...) stars Martin Potter, Juila Foster and Nicky Henson, as Joe, Sue and Barry, respectively, three strangers that meet at a wedding reception and soon become entangled in a love triangle. Adding to the intrigue is the fact that Joe is a police constable and Barry is involved in the planning of an armed robbery. With Sue caught between the two, it doesn't take a genius to realise that it's all going to end in tears...

Made by the prolific Brit director, Sidney Hayers—between his giallo-like ASSAULT and a double bill of Hayley Mills starrers (THE BANANAS BOAT and THE DEADLY STRANGERS), ALL COPPERS ARE BASTARDS is an excellent and compelling crime drama, marred only by a few plot contrivances. That said, some of the groansome developments can be overlooked due to the quality of acting and the films brisk pace (the film runs for only 82 minutes) that build to a satisfying conclusion.

As Phill mentioned elsewhere, the film plays like a love letter to Battersea in South West London: never before has it been so alluring and captured so beautifully on film. The trade mark Power Station (you American folk may know it from Pink Floyd's iconic 'Animals' artwork) is present in almost every exterior scene.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

grantwal

Re: All Coppers Are Bastards (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007 - 21:21 »

Certainly not my favourite Hayers film Paul but as you say the brisk running time does help it. Remember it being shown early evening on ITV back in the seventies and now it reminds me more like one of the old 'Play for today' shows. Always nice to see Henson and reminds me of just how sexy Julia Foster was back in the old days.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: All Coppers Are Bastards (Sidney Hayers, 1971)
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007 - 21:33 »

Julia was a sexy chick, that's for sure...

I've been slowly working my way through the Hayers films I have and as you said, this is a minor work, but I would lump ASSAULT in the same cateogry. I think REVENGE is in a different league and is somewhat of a major, albeit underrated British film.

Still, having lived in London for well over 20 years, it's always great to see 70s flicks set here, particularly those that don't use the postcard-style locations.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.