• 21 Aug 2019 - 15:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tales From The Crypt (Freddie Francis, 1972)  (Read 13676 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Tales From The Crypt (Freddie Francis, 1972)
« on: 05 Sep 2007 - 10:38 »

I'm a huge lover of Amicus' anthology films and this is one of the better entries in the series. I'd had a DVD--acquired from eBay—for sometime and was only able to watch up to the beginning of the third story before the disc froze. Infuriating to say the least, but a year down the line, I'm now the proud owner of the newly-released disc from 20th Century Fox on a double bill with its companion piece, VAULT OF HORROR.

As Amicus anthologies go, they can sometimes be a hit-and-miss affair, though hitting more often than they miss. TALES FROM THE CRYPT comprises five wonderful shorts, each a worth entry, rather than filler. The opening tale of Joan Collins being stalked by a maniacal Santa Claus is a great pull into a hugely entertaining film. The other stories included here are all good, with Peter Cushing's centre piece being my favourite due to his heart-felt (and heart-breaking performance).

The DVD has no extras (at least not on the TALES disc. The VAULT platter has yet to see the inside of my player) but is presented in anamorphic widescreen and in what appears to be the original ratio. With the release of this double bill and Warner's forthcoming FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE due at the end of the month, it's a great time for Amicus completists.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
Re: Tales From The Crypt (Freddie Francis, 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 12:27 »

Sadly VAULT OF HORROR is the censored American PG rated version.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 12:54 »

Sadly VAULT OF HORROR is the censored American PG rated version.

Marc, which version did Vipco release here? I still have mine, if it's longer, I shall keep hold of it.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 12:58 »

VIPCOs release was uncut, but a bootleg. Drop it over to me and I'll make an uncut composite disc.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 18:47 »

What?! Are you kidding me?! How could they do that?! So this VAULT is the same one with the freeze frames? I thought this disc didn't street until the 11th? VAULT was one of my most anticipated releases because of its cuts.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 19:14 »

I thought this disc didn't street until the 11th?

My UK-based supplier gets R1 DVD's anything up to htree weeks before the street date.

I'm hoping Marc can shed some light on what's cut and whether or not the old Vipco release is intact.

Watch this space.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 19:17 »

I'll still buy it for TALES alone, but I've been antsy for years to get ahold of a complete version of this movie. Another thing, TALES played on Cinemax a few years back with extra gore footage missing from all its previous US releases.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #7 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 19:18 »

I'll still buy it for TALES alone, but I've been antsy for years to get ahold of a complete version of this movie. Another thing, TALES played on Cinemax a few years back with extra gore footage missing from all its previous US releases.

Can you specify what extra footage was shown on Cinemax, and I'll check the DVD. Seemed a little dodgy for a PG, but then again...  :-\

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 19:23 »

There was more of the guy being hacked up in the coffin. A couple of quick shots of body parts and maybe even a brief bit of an intestine. In the "Poetic Justice" segment, there's a longer bit involving the bloody ending of the episode. This was quite a few years ago but this extra footage was written about on various sites.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #9 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 19:27 »

This site confirms the intestine scene playing on cable...

http://www.cosmos.net.au/~hologram/chopping/titles_t.html

I'd have to find the Fangoria magazine the article was in and that's hopeless considering how many of those magazines I have.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #10 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 20:35 »

I'm happy to confirm that the intestine scene is present in the new DVD  ::)

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #11 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 20:41 »

Cool! Can you tell me if VAULT truly is censored? The Nostalgia Merchant tape I had froze during the first segment when the vamps were draining the guy of his blood. All you see is a still frame and nothing else. Also, the "Neat Job" episode was cut during the finale where you see body parts in jars.

The Hunchback

« Reply #12 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 20:43 »

I used to catch this on American television (cut) quite often as a kid.

My favorite was the re-telling of "the monkey's paw" and "the valentine's day"

Most segments were remade on the television series, of the same, that lasted from the late 80's to the mid 90's.

I think I remember THE VAULT OF HORROR, doesn't that have a segment that takes place in Cairo and center around a snake charmer?

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #13 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 20:47 »

Yes, but the filmed version is a bit different from the comic version. I have dozens of the EC reprints. They're probably the only comics I have besides my JADEMAN comics that I frequently revisit.

The Hunchback

« Reply #14 on: 05 Sep 2007 - 20:49 »

Yes, but the filmed version is a bit different from the comic version.

I was talking about the movie anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.