• 19 Jan 2021 - 01:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Witchfinder General (Michael Reeves, 1968)  (Read 17245 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Witchfinder General (Michael Reeves, 1968)
« on: 13 Sep 2007 - 09:18 »

This is out now and also in a Vincent Price Box Set which includes an exclusive disc of special features. It's inexpensive, too! Here's a review of this new release...

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/witchfindergeneral68.htm

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Witchfinder General (Michael Reeves, 1968)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 09:24 »

Bought the standalone edition for £4.50, it's on it's way to me as we speak. Can't wait to see it. With this new release plus the old budget priced R2 edition I'd say I have a pretty definitive collection of this film. Not that fussed about not owning the previous US version under the title 'The Conqueror Worm' always seemed like that version was messed with without Reeves input.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 09:29 »

I used to have the Midnite Movies VHS of this and sold it thinking that the DVD would be close behind considering this films popularity. Then when it didn't happen I bought the now OOP brit special edition. Nice documentary on there and supposedly two different versions of the film but both had the same running time it seemed. Actually, I didn't even watch either of them but simply checked the length. I've seen it so many times. Not to mention the spliced in gore footage was taken from an inferior source.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 09:35 »

Actually, I didn't even watch either of them but simply checked the length. I've seen it so many times. Not to mention the spliced in gore footage was taken from an inferior source.

Yes, there's two versions on the UK DVD. Both run the same length the difference is that the 'Continental' version has topless wenches in the tavern scenes.

The new 'Midnite' DVD doesn't have the topless wenches so it's worth keeping the old Brit disc for that reason alone.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 09:40 »

Okay, I thought that may have been what was different after reading that review from DVD Drive-in. Thanks for confirming.

Phill

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 18:01 »

Mines winging it's way across the ocean now, can't wait. I really love this film.  ::)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 19:20 »

Mines winging it's way across the ocean now, can't wait. I really love this film.  ::)

M?ine too - it was held up in an order with ELVIS THE MOVIE, among other things, but the fucking release was cancelled. Never seen ELVIS. Gutted.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 19:25 »

I have a French release of this on the Neo label,comes in a rather nifty digipack but is the same print as the normal UK disc.Also has the Michael Reeves doc from Ch4 as an extra.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 19:28 »

M?ine too - it was held up in an order with ELVIS THE MOVIE, among other things, but the fucking release was cancelled. Never seen ELVIS. Gutted.

which ELVIS is this? The Carpenter one or the excellent recent miniseries?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 20:08 »

The Carpenter film, mate. It was supposed to be coming out from First Look Entertainment but appears to have been cancelled.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2007 - 20:10 »

I didn't know. The new 3 hour movie just hit dvd here, I thought maybe that was the one you were referring. I heard Russell did an awesome job as the King. It's a shame the new ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake will not even have a cameo by him. Originally there was to be an ESCAPE FROM EARTH but I guess the second film didn't do well enough.

grantwal

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 21:32 »

The new R1 is the dogs bollocks. Absolutely fucking brilliant PQ you'll love it.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 21:36 »

The new R1 is the dogs bollocks. Absolutely fucking brilliant PQ you'll love it.

Are you taking about ELVIS THE MOVIE, the Carpenter/Russell TV movie? If so, DVD Pacific cancelled my order and informed me that it wasn't coming out...

death_proof_reg

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2007 - 01:50 »

Shame, I love that movie.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2007 - 09:12 »

Gotta agree with you there Grant, it looks amazing on my widescreen telly. One of the best DVDs of the year so far for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.