• 03 Apr 2020 - 16:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Four Flies On Grey Velvet (Dario Argento, 1971)  (Read 114419 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Four Flies On Grey Velvet (Dario Argento, 1971)
« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 12:04 »

I like the way this thread hasn't degenerated into the "I'll buy it" vs "I wont be buying it" nonsense that's going on over at the ABUK forums. For the record, I will be buying this release and am really excited about it. I'm also impressed with the screengrabs that Marin has been posting too.

Did I say I was excited about this release?  ::)
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 13:42 »

Buying it is a no brainer for me just need to know when it is coming out and where it can be found.  I cannot wait to see the final scene without having to crank my television's brightness levels up to full to see what is going on.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 13:48 »

Buying it is a no brainer for me just need to know when it is coming out and where it can be found.  I cannot wait to see the final scene without having to crank my television's brightness levels up to full to see what is going on.

That's probably the worst scene in the existing boot, eh? To tell you the truth, although I owed the "official" VHS release and still have a DVD-R, I've never sat through it. I've seen the film once, and that was when it was screened at the Fantasm Film Festival in 1996... ...and even that was a fairly ropey 35mm print.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 17:17 »

Here's a comparison of all the versions I sent to Brad Stevens to check out a few years ago:

FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET

The bootleg video runs 93m 27s. The French video runs 95m 12s, and has been transferred at 24 fps. Or maybe the bootleg video has been transferred at 25 fps. In any case, both the French and the bootleg editions run at exactly the same speed.

The bootleg video has been framed at what would appear to be a perfect 2.35:1. But the slightly cropped opening credits suggest that the original ratio is even wider. The French edition has been framed at 1.85:1, but has been slightly squeezed: expanding the film on a widescreen television results in a far more satisfying image, though for this to be completely satisfying, the video would have needed to be squeezed a little more. In any case, the credits on the French video are even more heavily cropped than those on the bootleg.

The bootleg edition is far too dark, rendering some scenes completely incomprehensible. The French edition is a considerable improvement.

The bootleg version is in English. The French edition has been dubbed into French. In the bootleg edition, various close-ups of newspaper headlines are in Italian, while close-ups of written messages are in English. In the French version, all of the newspaper headlines and written messages have been replaced with crudely refilmed French-language inserts. These shots can be found at 9m, 36m, 41m and 65m in the bootleg version.

The Greek video is simply the French transfer with Greek subtitles added.

Using the bootleg edition as the point of reference, the differences between the bootleg version and the French/Greek version are as follows.

1- The opening credits of the bootleg edition are in English, whereas those of the French/Greek edition are in French. The credits have been positioned differently on the screen, and appear at different places in the two versions.

2- 10m 59s into the bootleg edition, 41 seconds of dialogue have been cut.

3- 19m 58s into the bootleg edition: a complete 45-second scene showing Michael Brandon talking to a man in a hammock has been cut.

4- 26m 10s to 26m 37s. A brief flashback involving a padded cell appears at this point in the bootleg edition. It is missing from the French/Greek transfer.

5- 28m 26s to 28m 36s. Part of a shot in which a woman lights a cigarette appears at this point in the bootleg edition. It is missing from the French/Greek transfer.

6- 39m 8s to 39m 31s. Another brief padded cell flashback appears at this point in the bootleg edition. It is missing from the French/Greek transfer.

7- 40m 59s to 41m 7s. During the scene in which a man is beaten to death, the bootleg edition includes a shot of the man spitting into the camera lens. This is missing from the French/Greek edition.

8- 41m 37s to 41m 44s. At this point, the bootleg edition edition includes some footage of the man being choked that is missing from the French/Greek edition.

9- 51m 23s. During the sex in the bath scene, the bootleg edition is missing a single 4 second shot at this point.

10- 51m 28s. The bootleg edition is here missing another 7 seconds from the sex in the bath scene.

11- 53m 7s. 16s of footage is missing from the bootleg edition at this point. The cut eliminates all but one brief shot of the beheading dream.

12- 70m 48s. The bootleg edition eliminates a few seconds in the middle of a shot showing a woman making a phone call. This results in a jump cut.

13- 71m 31s. The bootleg edition is missing 8 seconds of the woman looking through her handbag.

14- 73m 47s. The bootleg edition is missing a very brief shot of the woman standing on the stairs. It should appear between the two close-ups of the telephone.

15- 82m 31s. After the camera begins to pan down Michael Brandon's body, the bootleg is missing 6 seconds of footage.

16- The various inserts of the beheading which should be intercut with the shots of Mimsy Farmer driving away have been completely removed from the bootleg transfer. These inserts should appear at 91m 25s, 91m 27s and 91m 28s.

The end credits on the bootleg edition play in English, whereas those on the French/Greek edition play in French. On the bootleg transfer, the credits cut out abruptly in the middle. The French/Greek edition allows them to run for an additional 21 seconds.

Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 18:34 »

Cheers for that, Marc, that makes for interesting reading.

spannick

« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 20:17 »

addition:  the Italian VHS Version has EXCLUSIVE additional 90s Seconds of the Villain explaining the Motive in the Finale. This Scenes was only seen in Italy. it is edited completely different than the English / German / French Versions, adding a whole of 90s in between. this footage can not be incorporated in the coming Version, as the Quality is way too bad...

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 22:09 »

Do you reckon the additional footage will be added as an extra, mate?

spannick

« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2007 - 22:53 »

i hope so!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2007 - 08:30 »

Cheers, Marin  :-X

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2007 - 08:43 »

i won't be holding my breath for this to come out.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Peter Neal

« Reply #25 on: 19 Sep 2007 - 15:07 »

I'd LOVE to upgrade from that dodgy English language WS VHS (...and secretly hope that the original German dub of this surfaces for the upcoming release. That would be quite a stunner, since the movie never had a VHS release in Germany and I'm obsessed with 70's dubs of Italian genre movies ::)).

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #26 on: 19 Sep 2007 - 15:12 »

Hopefully an official DVD release will be issued once Paramount have sorted things out.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

WilsonBros

• Almost Human
« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2007 - 11:07 »

It's curious the that French/Greek print is missing the flashback scenes in the padded cell.

I think I mentioned before that we have the Greek VHS version and it looks rather nice.  I don't give a damn about whether or not this new version on the horizon is a bootleg or not, I'll certainly be picking it up.  If it is unofficial, I'll buy the legitimate release - whenever the hell it comes out...  :D

Kev W
"Two blokes with with a fuck-load of cutlery!"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2007 - 11:14 »

It's curious the that French/Greek print is missing the flashback scenes in the padded cell.

I think I mentioned before that we have the Greek VHS version and it looks rather nice.  I don't give a damn about whether or not this new version on the horizon is a bootleg or not, I'll certainly be picking it up.  If it is unofficial, I'll buy the legitimate release - whenever the hell it comes out...  :D

Kev W

that's my sentiments exactly, mate. Noticed this on eBay last night:

eBay link

I bought one, simply because it has the different language options. I translated the auction text in Babelfish and it purports to be original (!) and includes a scene not seen in any other version. I shall let you know once I've checked it out.

WilsonBros

• Almost Human
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2007 - 11:53 »

Paul - call me cynical, but the needle on my bullshit detector started twitching when I looked at the link.

Kev W
"Two blokes with with a fuck-load of cutlery!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Up

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 34 queries.