• 08 Aug 2022 - 07:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sicilian Connection / Afyon oppio (Ferdinando Baldi ,1973)  (Read 25529 times)

Horrorphilly

• Anonymous Avenger

I finally got a chance to see this, and liked it a lot till they return to NYC.The opening scene almost rival's Caliber 9 opening.I really liked Ben Gazzara.It was a awesome movie.

Sean
Sean

the blob

• Violent Professional

According to the Facebook page, this is coming out on BD from Code Red. Should be fun trying to buy it then.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

According to the Facebook page, this is coming out on BD from Code Red. Should be fun trying to buy it then.

Bitter sweet news... Obviously thrilled this is getting a HD (or any kind of) release but frustrated it's going to be such an ordeal to get hold of!
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Collins

• Special Cop In Action

anyone but code red.

Russell22

• Special Cop In Action

I posted this up to the Eurocrime Fbook group the other day. I've not seen this one personally but looking forward to getting it. Yeah Code Red titles can be a chore to get hold of, Bill seems even more worse these days than he's ever been. Hopefully Diabolik will be able to get hold of a few copies.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

Never mind the fact it's Code Red, I'm more concerned that they are getting the transfer from LVR, infamous for their noise ridden botched up scans of Italian cult films.

the blob

• Violent Professional

Never mind the fact it's Code Red, I'm more concerned that they are getting the transfer from LVR, infamous for their noise ridden botched up scans of Italian cult films.

Indeed, although it can be done apparently if you can get the original scans off them and do everything else yourself, which is what happened with Mondo Macabro. Seems that the biggest problems are in the post production they do after scanning.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

Interesting, so it's not the scanner that's the problem, as assumed by many of the armchair experts?

the blob

• Violent Professional

There's a post in the Mondo Macabro thread at blu-ray.com that goes a bit more into detail. Still scanner noise but it can be made to look a lot better than what we've been seeing from them in general.

The reason it looks the way it does is because I rejected the original transfer that arrived for this film (powdery-looking grain owed to noise reduction to try and reduce the noise produced by the telecine). I was then supplied with the raw, graded but un-processed output that had been scanned in the months before, and I re-did the post production myself without the noise reduction. I did use other frequency shaping techniques to solve the CRT noise problem but those don't compromise the appearance of the film grain.

In other words, for the final version that made it to shelves, LVR did the original scanning and color grading, but I took over everything after that. Given the improvement in quality, this was enough to convince Mondo Macabro to release on BD instead of just NTSC DVD.

I haven't seen it for myself but The Slave has been getting good reviews for PQ. The question is, if Bill can't do it himself will he shell out to get it done or even think it's worth it?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Someone needs to ask Camera Obscura where they do their scans. They seem to be doing alright, no problems with their stuff in HD so far

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

It it definitely a Blu Ray then? It only said it was coming, didn't state Blu Ray or DVD. I hope it's Blu but would get it either way.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

the blob

• Violent Professional

It it definitely a Blu Ray then? It only said it was coming, didn't state Blu Ray or DVD. I hope it's Blu but would get it either way.

Come to think of it he did only say a HD master. I think I'm just assuming BD because he actually seems a little excited about it because they're selling. He seems to be talking about releasing old titles on DVD too if they have a useable source. Police Connection is one apparently.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

Exactly, Jonny, Vinegar Syndrome and Camera Obscura do their own scans with superlative results.

TigerRoom

• Anonymous Avenger

Yes! Finally got this one in. Been looking forward to it for a while. Even with the "punchline" being revealed in the trailer, the opening scene is still great. I agree with the comparison to Caliber 9.

Never bought a Code Red release. I get the impression they flirt with controversy, but I've never read enough to get a scope of what's controversial. How are the transfers? I'm no expert, but the opening scene didn't throw up any red flags for me.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!

They're controversial because the guy who runs it is an asshat.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.