• 19 Oct 2019 - 16:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragment of Fear (Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)  (Read 10713 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Fragment of Fear (Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)
« on: 24 Sep 2007 - 18:42 »

It's been a while since I saw this film via the UK pre-cert VHS but I was wondering if anyone else shares my enthusiasm for this excellent film from the Director of 'Vanishing Point' and starring David Hemmings at the top of his game.

Hemmings is a recovering drug addict who's convinced there's a plot against him, the main aim of which is to drive him mad. Reminiscent of Polanski's 'Repulsion' in that you're not totally sure if he is going mad or someone really is out to get him until the final act... to go any further would be spoiling things a touch but it's safe to say this is a well made and finely acted thriller. There's a typically British cast featuring the likes of Yootha Joice, Arthur Lowe and Gayle Hunnicut (Hemmings' wife at the time) plus Euro favourite Adolfo Celi turns up for a nice cameo role.

One thing that's always bothered me is that the version I saw on the old Dimension VHS ends abruptly and has no end credits. Has anyone seen any other versions and can confirm that this is how it ends in all versions of the film?
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Fragment of Fear (Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:06 »

I saw this just over a year ago and thought it was okay - a solid enough little Brit thriller, with a great turn from the always reliable Hemmings and a wonderfully emmersive score.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:12 »

Did you see the same version as I did Paul? From the old pre-cert?
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:17 »

Avoid the Dimension pre-cert - it's shit - the 1986 Columbia release is the way to go.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:20 »

Avoid the Dimension pre-cert - it's shit - the 1986 Columbia release is the way to go.

Bloody hell, so am I right in thinking the pre-cert is missing the end? The re-release seems to be about 7 minutes longer!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:25 »

I have a feeling that my mate--who's obsessed with British films--would have had the longer version - I'm pretty sure the one I saw was taken from the RCA/Columbia tape.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:27 »

I have a feeling that my mate--who's obsessed with British films--would have had the longer version - I'm pretty sure the one I saw was taken from the RCA/Columbia tape.

I certainly hope so! Any chance you check your copy and let me know as I'd love to see a complete version!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:31 »

I certainly hope so! Any chance you check your copy and let me know as I'd love to see a complete version!

Of course I can't. I'm way too busy for all that...

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:32 »

The Dimension print is very worn and jumpy. Loads missing.
Nucleus Films

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:35 »

Was the Dimension release unlicenced, Marc? Seems odd that they put it's out, considering it's a Columbia title.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2007 - 19:36 »

I'm sure everything on the Dimension label was unlicensed.
Nucleus Films

death_proof_reg

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2007 - 01:17 »

Phantasmagoria.

what a beautiful word.

Richard C

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2007 - 07:45 »

Think I'll add this to my list of eBay searches.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2007 - 08:25 »

Phantasmagoria.

what a beautiful word.

...and coincidentally, the name of the documentary Marc and Jake did for the PHANTASM box set.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
Fragment of Fear (Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 13:21 »

Never heard of this one until recently.  I watched an excellent quality DVD-R of this on Saturday night and was really impressed.  Tim Brett, yet another excellent turn by David Hemmings, is an author recovering from a drug addiction who travels to Italy to find out who is responsible for the murder of his aunt but is everything what it seems.  The direction is first rate; the audience are constantly led to question whether what they are watching is reality or paranoid delusion.  Is there really a conspiracy surrounding the death of his aunt or is he back on the junk?

This one is well worth seeking out and most certainly deserves an official release but since this one is in the hand of Sony it seems quite doubtful. 

On a side note, does anyone have David Hemmings' autobiography that was released shortly after his death?  I am trying to locate a copy but all of them I find are ridiculously overpriced.  Anyone know where I could get one from?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 34 queries.