• 13 Nov 2019 - 21:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragment of Fear (Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)  (Read 10805 times)

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
Re: Fragment of Fear (Richard C. Sarafian, 1970)
« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2010 - 16:33 »

If Sony are going to run it like the Warner Archives series then they should start appearing on Amazon.com. I resent paying those sort of prices for a DVD-R though.

It's a fucker isn't it? $19.94 before shipping? No way Jose!

They're more expensive than properly pressed US DVDs! They can stick it up their arse!
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2010 - 16:40 »

I feel the same way, it's like your just paying for a dvd-r.

Why don't they just release them properly, even as a budget range.

a few of these releases I would pay for if they released them properly.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2010 - 16:43 »

They're more expensive than properly pressed US DVDs! They can stick it up their arse!

Too right, selling a technically inferior product at a higher price than a pressed DVD is just insane.  I have been after some of the Warner Archive releases but they are way too expensive.  I have ended up downloading them instead and doing my own covers.  I really do think that this model of releasing could succeed if they gave it some careful thought.  

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2010 - 16:47 »

And surely it has to be more expensive to burn off 500 DVD-Rs on demand than to press 500?
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2010 - 17:05 »

They have probably pre-determined that sales for most of the these titles won't reach 500 so it would be more cost effective to produce them on-demand.  This might explain the stupidly high prices of the DVDs.  Warner have already being reducing their stockpile of pressed DVDs by destroying them, showing an eagerness to move to the on-demand model.

Regarding Fragment of Fear, i'm going to throw this out there, as this is a DVD-R title we could pitch together to buy it and 'distribute' it amongst ourselves.  Could even get a better cover designed.  Thoughts?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2010 - 19:47 »

And surely it has to be more expensive to burn off 500 DVD-Rs on demand than to press 500?

The issue at handis studios have to pay a lot of money to store overstocks that don't sell. I know that this is quite a cost-prohibitive issue in the UK and results in companies having to shell out to keep stock that they can't sell.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2011 - 12:59 »

I received the Sony DVD-R of this yesterday and watched it last night.  The film is indeed presented in anamorphic widescreen and looks pretty good even when upscaled to 1080p.  They could have encoded the video track at a higher bitrate though.  The theatrical trailer is included as an extra.  Hear are some screenshots from the DVD:

And the DVD itself:

Garbage Can

« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 2011 - 15:53 »

Great Johnny Harris theme. There are a couple (?) of obscure covers of this ("Sight & Sound"...an Alan Hawkshaw library music thing?). I hum it from time. If I put my mind to it, I could probably play it on the piano, as well. Speaking of which, I find it interesting how many cult cinema actors had a singer-songwriter career on the side (ex: Michael Parks) and had many releases in the States. I'm pretty sure it helped that Hemmings had a resemblance to Paul McCartney.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #38 on: 13 Feb 2011 - 21:35 »

Anyone know where I can order this that will ship to the U.K. without being held to ransom?

I initially refused to buy any of these studio original dvd-r's but over the last few months have had a change of heart.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2011 - 12:08 »

I got mine from Deep Discount DVD but it cost around $26.  It is pretty hard to find a site that sells it, let alone for a decent price.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/4B427804-89B2-4E04-B290-B84E005844F9/

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #40 on: 14 Feb 2011 - 18:00 »

I got mine from Deep Discount DVD but it cost around $26.  It is pretty hard to find a site that sells it, let alone for a decent price.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/4B427804-89B2-4E04-B290-B84E005844F9/
Cheers, but I have encountered some sort of problem, it's in the basket ok and as soon as I go to proceed to checkout I get Your Shopping Cart is empty. ???

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #41 on: 15 Feb 2011 - 04:44 »

I got mine from Deep Discount DVD but it cost around $26.  It is pretty hard to find a site that sells it, let alone for a decent price.

Cheers, but I have encountered some sort of problem, it's in the basket ok and as soon as I go to proceed to checkout I get Your Shopping Cart is empty. ???

Cheers, Aarron!  Kick my ass  >:( if I spelled your name wrong mate, it's been a while.  :-\   anyway, I got my copy from Deep Discount DVD (DDD).  Does DDD ship to Europe?  That might be the issue.

EDIT:  Just read Oli's post, so apparently they do.  DDD has a 20% off sale twice a year.  Next time they have one, (July, I think) I'll take an order of Sony DVD-Rs and Warner Brothers Archive DVD-Rs and ship 'em to you and any other Brits or swanky continental chaps that are interested (for trade or dosh).
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2011 - 14:11 »

I got mine from Deep Discount DVD but it cost around $26.  It is pretty hard to find a site that sells it, let alone for a decent price.

Cheers, Aarron!  Kick my ass  >:( if I spelled your name wrong mate, it's been a while.  :-\   anyway, I got my copy from Deep Discount DVD (DDD).  Does DDD ship to Europe?  That might be the issue.

EDIT:  Just read Oli's post, so apparently they do.  DDD has a 20% off sale twice a year.  Next time they have one, (July, I think) I'll take an order of Sony DVD-Rs and Warner Brothers Archive DVD-Rs and ship 'em to you and any other Brits or swanky continental chaps that are interested (for trade or dosh).
Nice one Michael

...and yes you did spell my name right  :D

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #44 on: 22 Feb 2011 - 10:20 »

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it, didn't even realise Yootha Joyce had a small role!!!

There was one thing I wasn't sure of though [spoiler]was he mad throughout the entire film or was he driven to madness?[/spoiler]

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 34 queries.