• 14 Aug 2018 - 19:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Counsellor / Il consigliori (Alberto de Martino, 1973)  (Read 7645 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

IL CONSIGLIORI 1973 aka THE COUNSELLOR

Tomas Milian, Martin Balsam

Directed by Alberto de Martino

******SPOILERS********

Thomas Accardo (Milian) gets out of jail and informs Don Antonio (Balsam) he wants to sever his ties with the Family and go straight. Only Don Antonio isn't too happy about this. One of Don Antonio's men, Garafolo (Francisco Rabal) grows weary of playing second fiddle to the big man and wants to run his own show. To do this, Don Antonio must die. Through a series of violent events, Accardo is lured back into the Mob's web.

Tomas Milian gives a suitably restrained performance here as the honorable criminal lawyer Accardo who wants so much to live a normal life but his loyalty to Don Antonio brings him back into the criminal fold. It's quite tragic actually, the way the film ends. Had Accardo followed his true feelings, things would have ended up differently for him.

Balsam is also fine as the Godfather character and I'd never seen him in a role like this before. The film is highly derivative of THE GODFATHER however and it is probably the reason why a film such as this would not get a respectable release back then. And it's a shame as this film and many others like it deserved better than to be labeled as simple exploitation fare.

The violence level is quite high in this Italian-Spanish co-production. Numerous shootouts, lots of blood sqiubs, a guy tossed into an incinerator and a 7 year old girl is blown to smithereens. Director Alberto de Martino (BLAZING MAGNUM) delivers another solid effort only the exploitation elements populating his later BLAZING MAGNUM (1976) are nowhere to be found here as the focus is mainly on the relationship between Don Antonio and Accardo. The story at first seems to be that the Don is going to try and force Accardo back into the Mafia fold but he does so on his own accord. Martino also delivers a similar (although less spectacular) but well done car chase scene as well as filling the film with lots of action. Apparently the budget was bigger than normal as the bulk of the film is shot in San Francisco and some in New Mexico and the finale takes place in Italy.

Spaghetti Western fans will spot perennial bad guys Eduardo Fajardo and Nello Pazzafini during the finale. A really good film from Martino bolstered by another rewarding role from Tomas Milian and Martin Balsam.

Fray G

Re: Il consigliori/The Counsellor (Alberto de Martino, 1973)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007 - 21:48 »

I got this in the post this morning so I won't read your post 'til i've watched it over the next few days. Got 9 italian movies this morning, don't know which to watch first!

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 04:28 »

Nine? Which ones did you get?

Fray G

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 21:23 »

Nine? Which ones did you get?

Oh...

Il Consiglieri
Special Cop In Action
From Corleone to Brooklyn
Suspected Death of a Minor
Bloody Payroll
Footprints
French Sex Murders
Fifth Cord
Four of the Apocalypse

I watched Suspected Death last night which was great, love everything about the Sazuma release. Won't get to see the Il Consiglieri 'til next week as i'm out of town 'til Monday and it's the Fifth Cord tonight.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2007 - 21:26 »

The two Merli ones you got there are superb! Not so hot on 4 HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE though. BLOODY PAYROLL is good too.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Just watching this tonight and thought I'd post some thoughts...

This was one of the first fandub projects I ever did and I'm quite surprised that a better version hasn't surfaced yet. The Legocart DVD is full-frame, the opening credits betray the main feature's a scope ratio film because of everything being squished on screen during the opening credits, check out the car in this grab...

Milian is in full 'sweep over' mode hairstyle-wise in this one...

Close-ups are terribly cropped

And future James Bond star Daniel Craig pops up as a policeman!

Look forward to a better, OAR, version as this is a pretty cool film.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

IL COMMISSARIO

And future James Bond star Daniel Craig pops up as a policeman!

Cool. I haven't seen this one since writing about it. I saw Craig in an awful episode of TALES FROM THE CRYPT from season 7 recently.

This is a really good movie that deserves a better release version.

Stephen Grimes

And he was only 5 when he made this  :D

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

And he was only 5 when he made this  :D

He is from Liverpool, Stephen. Probably had a hard upbringing.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato

I think that this is quite a good role for Tomas Milian. It's a low key performance but his acting in the final scene in the back of the car with Balsam after the shoot out is magnificent!.

Roy Munson

• Anonymous Avenger
Re: The Counsellor / Il consigliori (Alberto de Martino, 1973)
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2015 - 19:50 »

Been a lurker for a while so thought I'd take the plunge and register for the site.

It looks like IL CONSIGLIORI is getting a release on German DVD. Noticed it over at Amazon.de :
http://www.amazon.de/Dutzend-zur-H%C3%B6lle-ungeschnittene-Polizieschi/dp/B013SBJU9Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1442691646&sr=1-7&keywords=tomas+milian

Doesn't list English audio in the specs at Amazon but it also appears at Dtm.at which lists English audio:

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=27740

Ordered it via Amazon for just over £26.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2015 - 21:23 »

Nice one, thanks for pointing this out and welcome to the forum.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

g053584398

• Almost Human
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2015 - 13:37 »

The listing on OFDB also states that there is an English language track on the German DVD release.

Russell22

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2015 - 14:59 »

Really looking forward to this. Great Film.  Shame there's no Blu, but i'd take an English friendly DVD of it nonetheless.  :)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2015 - 15:57 »

Really looking forward to this. Great Film.  Shame there's no Blu, but i'd take an English friendly DVD of it nonetheless.  :)
Indeed, only ever seen it on a tape before, seems like ages now since they announced this.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 19 queries.