• 17 Nov 2017 - 16:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Almost Human / Milano odia (Umberto Lenzi, 1974)  (Read 32943 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Almost Human / Milano odia (Umberto Lenzi, 1974)
« on: 06 Jul 2007 - 20:13 »

MILANO ODIA: LA POLIZIA NON PUO SPARARE (ALMOST HUMAN) 1974

Thomas Milian, Henry Silva, Ray Lovelock, Anita Strindberg

Guilio Sacchi (Thomas Milian in his favorite role) at the opening of the film, is the driver for a bank robbery. When a police man approaches him to move his car he impulsively shoots the cop thus introducing us to one of the slimiest cinematic character portrayals in film ever. The crooks don't want Guilio around anymore so he shacks up with his girlfriend (Strindberg WHO SAW HER DIE?, LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN) and through her spies a very pretty girl from a rich family. Guilio plans to kidnap the girl and hold her for ransom killing her if the father doesn't pay up. Guilio eventually gets the girl but along the way commits some extremely distasteful acts such as when they trace the girl to a house in the woods where they torture and machine gun the inhabitants kids included. The group holes up in an abandoned boat while they wait for their money. Meanwhile, Inspector Grandi (Silva) tries to find them and convince the father they will not let his daughter go even if he pays them. It all ends badly for the principle cast members in one of the most violent films I've ever seen regardless of genre.

Milian owns this movie and turns in his best performance ever. On the 30 minute interview with him on the disc he says this is his favorite performance and initially, he was to play the cop role but opted for the sleazy villain instead as the film is surprisingly, built around the villain for the most part. You really grow to hate his character and want to see him get his in the end.

The angelic Ray Lovelock is suited at Milian's side as he is drawn into Guilio's world and becomes (although on a much smaller scale) a psychopath as well.

Henry Silva, veteran screen heavy is somewhat subdued here as Inspector Grandi and his stone faced, almost inhuman expressions suit the film well as he ultimately succumbs to unorthodox methods to bring Guilio down in a great final scene that is symbolic of the Guilio character.

Umberto Lenzi directs again and pulls off another great little film. There is only one car chase but what an exciting one it is. The remainder of the film is built around Guilio and the evil tactics he uses to survive caring nothing for anyone or anything. The film plays almost like a horror film and if I remember correctly this is how it was marketed on video here.

If you're a Milian fan this release is highly recommended to see him chew through so much scenery.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I watched this again the other night - it's so grimey for a crime flick and Milian is at his sleaziest. His completely flippant regard for human life should be repugnant, but you actually find yourself laughing at some of his antics - or is it just me?

Brilliant, pulating Morricone score, too.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

You got to love Tomas in the final scene with Henry Silva...

"Would you like some French Champagne?"

"But, But... I've done nothing wrong!"

Henry Silva...

"I Condemn you to Death!"

BANG! BANG!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Silva is so stone-faced in the film. There's a rare utterance of strong language when he calls Milian a "motherfucker" at the end - not something you hear on many of the dubbed tracks of the time.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

You hear even funnier things! I was watching Stelvio Massi's MARK IL POLIZIOTTO and somebody said "He is only after PUSSY, SNATCH"! There were quite a few hilarious lines in the English dub of that movie!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

The dubbing of these films is what makes them great, imo. I'd never watch an arthouse film dubbed but I can never bring myself to watch an exploitation film subtitled - unless there's no alternative.

vigilanteforce

Indeed, the dubbing is one of the things that make these movies so unique. Specially that voice they use for old, fat people is unforgettable! However, the dubbing of the Italian movies is state of the art when compared to cheaper movies from other countries. You should watch a certain Indonesian RAMBO rip-off where only 2 guys were used to dub all the male characters in the movie ;D

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Going back to the Italian flicks - it's always pleaseing to recognise the familiar voices on the dubbed tracks. They crop up very regularly.

The Hunchback

Probably Lenzi's best out of his crime films.
A great character peice featuring Milian as one of the nastiest villains I have ever seen!

That said I have never seen the english dub.
I'll give it a go eventually.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

It's definitely his darkes film, though I'm more partial to ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH and VIOLENT NAPLES, simply because they're lighter in tone and a lot easier to "enjoy", if you know what I mean.

eda-88

HELLO!!
This is music from the movie,maestro Ennio Morricone
http://link-protector.com/223901/

The Hunchback

HELLO!!
This is music from the movie,maestro Ennio Morricone
http://link-protector.com/223901/

could you put up "Goodbye my friend" from Street Law?

Stephen Grimes

Anyone notice the frame jumps on the NoShame disc of this,there's at least 2 the worst being the first which is when the old arms dealer opens the door to Milian and co-about 22 mins in.
I checked my Italian Alan Young and French Neo dvds and this scene plays perfectly on these,is this a pressing problem with the NS disc as it doesn't look like print damage?

Gary B.

I don't remember noticing that on my NS disc...I'll check it out later and let you know...

Stephen Grimes

I don't remember noticing that on my NS disc...I'll check it out later and let you know...
Thanks.I've seen a couple of on-line reviews which mention it as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.