• 20 Jun 2019 - 10:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Corruption (Robert Hartford-Davis, 1968)  (Read 19477 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Corruption (Robert Hartford-Davis, 1968)
« on: 05 Oct 2007 - 23:04 »

A gruesome redux of EYES WITHOUT A FACE starring Peter Cushing as a psychotic surgeon killing young girls to restore his girlfriends looks after an accident.

I've been reading about this unusual Cushing film for years but as yet no DVD release to speak at least not here. Any news from the other side of the pond? This one is top of my must see list.

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: Corruption (Robert Hartford-Davis, 1968)
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2007 - 23:41 »

It seems this played on TCM on September 22... >:( ??? :-[......However, it seems the print used was great but missing some gore and nudity of Cushing wrestling with a naked victim.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 13:41 »

This film, like many at the time, had different cuts produced for the European and domestic markets. So it probably wasn't 'cut' as such, but the British/American version of the film.

For DVD companies it is a lose/lose situation (see the people on other forums moaning about Witchfinder General being "cut"...)
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 13:59 »

Just been reading a really old review of the French tape in Is It Uncut #1 where it says the Euro edit contains a scene where Cushing 'repeatedly stabs and slashes a topless prostitute smearing blood over her bare breasts with his hands!',sounds great :'(  I'll have to try and get a copy of this longer Euro edit soon,the French tape is English language with subs which is a bonus.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 14:07 »

Btw this different Euro/French edit goes by the title LAZER KILLER.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 17:34 »

Yeah seen this one on ebay before although I'd rather not buy tapes or discs considering the bad luck I've had there in the past. It just played TCM here a couple of weeks ago and I missed it. I've heard the french tape is the way to go with the other option being the Aussie release which is cut. The unusual Cushing role is why I've been after this one for so long. I would have assumed this would have come out by now but oddly no such luck

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 17:41 »

the french tape is supposed to be the most complete version of this

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #7 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 17:42 »

This film, like many at the time, had different cuts produced for the European and domestic markets. So it probably wasn't 'cut' as such, but the British/American version of the film.

For DVD companies it is a lose/lose situation (see the people on other forums moaning about Witchfinder General being "cut"...)

What is cut from WITCHFINDER GENERAL? The new release you mean?

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 17:46 »

It was I who discovered this european version - I wrote to Video Watchdog about it back when the mag first launched.

Back in the 1980s a friend of mine in Australia sent me an article from an old adult mag which detailed the insert shot filmed for the French cinema release. I was able to track down a French video release and sure enough, it included the alternate shot.

It should be pointed out that this one scene (there are no other scenes which were done using alternate 'spicier' takes) was intended for the continental market only, and it was an alternate take of a scene already in the film - albeit with a different actress. It works better as a DVD extra, as it doesn't sit proeprly in the film due to a continuity error.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 17:49 »

thanks for that MarcMorris. In one of the brit horror books I have, Cushing hated doing this movie. There is a pic of the train scene in one of the books however I assume its not this alternate one you speak of.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 18:42 »

What is cut from WITCHFINDER GENERAL? The new release you mean?
He means a different edit for different markets,much like the harder European cut of CORRUPTION.The footage in WITCHFINDER is stuff like the topless wenches at the Inn which was filmed for the continental market.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #11 on: 07 Oct 2007 - 18:48 »

It was I who discovered this european version - I wrote to Video Watchdog about it back when the mag first launched.
Nice one Marc,it was Nigel Burrell's review i was reading from way back in the mid 90's.

dracucarr

« Reply #12 on: 08 Oct 2007 - 22:12 »

...intended for the continental market only, and it was an alternate take of a scene already in the film - albeit with a different actress. It works better as a DVD extra, as it doesn't sit proeprly in the film due to a continuity error.

Having both versions of this film, the continental cut, although unlikely, is the one that should be used for any DVD release. I really think the shock factor alone makes this more worthwhile than the far tamer cut of the prostitute murder. I'll have to check again, but having seen it 3 times, the continuity errors weren't enough to make me think it worthy solely as a deleted scene. It's a poor film on the whole, but moments like this (and Cushing at his frenzied best on the beach, and during the brilliant out of control laser madness) make this a must have film.

grantwal

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2008 - 11:41 »

I read that Columbia are considering this for release this year. If so it will probably be the US/UK version.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2008 - 12:03 »

I hear there' s a jolly nice Fan DVD of CORRUPTION doing the rounds, 16x9 anamorphic too.  :D
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.