• 21 Jul 2017 - 02:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cynic, The Rat And The Fist (Umberto Lenzi, 1977)  (Read 25154 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

aka Il cinico, l'infame, il violento

Leonardo Tanzi (Maurizio Merli) has a hit put on him by The Chinaman (Tomas Milian) recently released from prison. The hit isn't successful but Tanzi goes along with it faking his death and goes into hiding which lasts for maybe five minutes when he learns Chinaman is working with another mob boss Frank DiMaggio (John Saxon). Tanzi sets about avenging some relatives, busting some of their criminal activities and ruining some of their operations in secret eventually setting the two against each other culminating in a final confrontation between the combatants.

Merli again turns in another tough as nails performance and actually smiles a bit in this one displaying even more charisma. He gets a love interest this time out in the form of Gabriella Lapori.

John Saxon is surprisingly vicious as the NY mob Boss Dimaggio who in one scene does in a suspected informer using golf balls and two big hungry dogs. Saxon, as in the above VIOLENT NAPLES, dubs his own voice. He is equally at home playing nasty villains as he is portraying heroic roles (lots of cops) in his American films.

Milian is again, very, very nasty as the Chinaman although not quite as sleazy as his role in the above film ALMOST HUMAN. He is quite the patient smart-ass and evokes laughter in one scene (of many) where he gives a failed operative the choice of having his left leg or right leg broken in the calmest of voices.

Another fine action crime thriller from Lenzi this one however, has a smattering of humor (some of it black) amidst the many scenes of carnage and is recommended also.

LANZETTA

Re: The Cynic, The Rat And The Fist (Umberto Lenzi, 1977)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 12:34 »

This was the first crime thriller i saw with Maurizio Merli and i was instantly sold on the guy,very charismatic,funny and convincing in fight scenes and shoot-outs.I'm looking forward to revisiting this great movie after i've got through my current unwatched batch so i can say more about.But with Milian and John Saxon,who can ask for more? ;)

vigilanteforce

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 12:47 »

I watched this again a couple of days ago via Alfa's disc. I had mixed feelings about it but now I love it- it is no VIOLENT NAPLES or ROMA A MANO ARMATA but still a classic. Maurizio is in top form here and so is Lenzi. As for the music score, its just perfect although it sounds identical to the ones for ROMA A MANO, NAPOLI VIOLENTA and ITALIA A MANO ARMATA/SPECIAL COP IN ACTION. I thought Milian was a bit annoying here (one of the reasons was his chain smoking) but not as much as he is in other movies- there's no doubt he is a great actor though. You just can't go wrong with this movie.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007 - 08:31 »

I watched this again last night – the first time in ten years, or more. It’s a great film and I’d forgotten how great it is. There’s plenty of Merli’s trademark slapping and punching and the dub seems a little meaner, with a lot of swearing.

One of the stand out scenes for me though was the one in which Merli dragged and innocent woman out of her car, gives her a shove and takes off in it. Genius.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007 - 12:15 »

One of the stand out scenes for me though was the one in which Merli dragged and innocent woman out of her car, gives her a shove and takes off in it. Genius.

Yeah that was hilarious, he pushes her into the fence as shes getting out and says "sorry about this"

The Hunchback

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008 - 23:36 »

I think I prefer this one to ROME, ARMED TO THE TEETH. It's more jokey and the final confrontation is handled better (the Hunchback "getting it" in the back at the end of ROME is kind of a cop out).
The only thing wrong with this entry is the fifteen minute segment where it becomes a heist picture.
That scene came totally out of left field.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2008 - 01:35 »

The only thing wrong with this entry is the fifteen minute segment where it becomes a heist picture.
That scene came totally out of left field.

That scene is integral to the plot of the movie. Without that there could be no movie or at least not the classic it is today. Tanzi was setting DiMaggio and the Chinaman up to rub each other out. This is one of the best movies Lenzi ever did, IMO. Granted, there's a couple of spots that are kind of silly (the lasers looking an awful lot like string and the cops not seeing the bad guys as they drop down from the rope escaping the building) but these don't taint one of the finest examples this genre has to offer. Take a view of some of Lenzi's more (in)famous movies such as CANNIBAL FEROX or NIGHTMARE CITY then look at this one again. Those are great pieces of Italian sleaze but movies like THE CYNIC, THE RAT & THE FIST are on a totally different level.

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2008 - 02:09 »

They took the heist scene pretty much scene for scene out of the film GRAND SLAM, only executed better in this film imo.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2008 - 02:28 »

They took the heist scene pretty much scene for scene out of the film GRAND SLAM, only executed better in this film imo.

And they had more money for that one, too, I'm sure.

Mart85

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2008 - 12:46 »

I really enjoy THE CYNIC, THE RAT & THE FIST but I'm with Hunchback on the heist bit.  It seems to belong to another film.  Still for me it ain't enough to detract from Merli, Milian, and Saxon battling it out.  All of them have some classic lines in the English dub and the Micalizzi score is top drawer stuff too.  A Must see Italian crime film in my book.

frankie

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2008 - 06:09 »

this was one of the first crimers i watched and still one of my faves. i read somewhere that Merli and Milian couldn't stand each other. dunno if that's true, but if you watch closely, although Tanzi is after the Chinaman the whole film, the two never appear in the same scene-let alone the same shot

Silence

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2010 - 15:16 »

Great film!

Garbage Can

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2010 - 18:06 »

"It's called 'Ballad of the Shithead'"
"Here, I brought you an orange...*boink*"

It's hilarious how much "son of a bitch" is used in English-dubbed Italian movies. It seems like attacking the legitimate paternity of a man in any country with a Latin-derived language is the ultimate put-down

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2010 - 18:28 »

Locandina

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Silence

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2010 - 20:38 »

Nice one Tanzi  :P.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.