• 02 Dec 2020 - 08:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Endless Night (Sidney Gilliat, 1972)  (Read 2545 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Endless Night (Sidney Gilliat, 1972)
« on: 10 Oct 2007 - 09:01 »

Well this is a real curio. Thought I'd dig it out and give it a view, as I've been watching quite a lot of British thrillers recently, but was a little apprehensive, as the film is based upon a novel by Agatha Christie and to be honest, I'm not a fan of over-bloated whodunnits. About half way through the film however, it becomes clear that this is an unusual piece and one that bucks genre conventions and audience expectations.

Directed by the late Sidney Gilliat (who was the director of the ST. TRINIAN'S films), ENDLESS NIGHT stars Hywel Bennett (yep, SHELLEY himself, but also the star of Roy Boutling's criminally neglected TWISTED NERVE) as Mike; a chauffer with a taste for the finer things in life; something that betrays his working class background. Literally stumbling upon an idyllic country estate, he instantly falls in love with the breathtaking views and in turn—Ellie (Hayley Mills)—the beautiful girl that he finds wandering around. It's not long before the pair are married and planning to construct a state-of-the-art villa on the land and everything is in place for them to enjoy the rest of their lives together... but there's a sinister plot afoot: someone is trying to drive the newly weds out of their home and away from each other. Could it be Mike's disapproving in-laws (Lois Maxwell and Peter Bowles), Ellie's German tutor (Britt Ekland), the couple's mysterious architect (Per Oscarsson) or the local crank, Miss Townsend (Patience Collier)? All will be revealed but if the film has the same affect on you as it had on me, you'll be in for a surprise.

Bennett turns in yet another terrific performance and both Mills an Ekland are always pleasing on the eye. The ABUS disc is presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and looks nice and clean throughout. The only extra is the film's trailer. Definitely recommended.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Endless Night (Sidney Gilliat, 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2007 - 10:29 »

Sounds really interesting, the sort of film I'd enjoy on a Sunday afternoon.

You've got me thinking too hard about what happens at the end now, with your Scooby Doo type summary!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2007 - 10:34 »

Sounds really interesting, the sort of film I'd enjoy on a Sunday afternoon.

You've got me thinking too hard about what happens at the end now, with your Scooby Doo type summary!

Scooby-Doo? Hahaha. I really liked this film and it's not really to all tastes. It's more drama than thriller, but the different approach really does work and the film seemed fresh - probably because I was expecting a run-of-the-mill mystery.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

fdsmedia

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2007 - 13:09 »

I have the UK R2 DVD and I'm very pleased with it!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2007 - 13:11 »

I have the UK R2 DVD and I'm very pleased with it!

Hadn't realised it had been released here - the UK cover is much nicer than the American one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.