• 02 Dec 2020 - 08:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye Witness (John Hough, 1970)  (Read 3577 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Eye Witness (John Hough, 1970)
« on: 12 Oct 2007 - 12:32 »

John Hough was a fairly prolific filmmaker during the 70s and 80s and managed to dabble within many genres, and while many of his films could never be considered classics, they are almost always interesting, at the very least.

Take EYE WITNESS – a solid little Malta-based thriller that Hough directed in 1970. At the beginning of the film, we're introduced to the young Ziggy and it's quickly established that he has somewhat of a detachment from reality and is renowned for fantasising over elaborate stories. However, when he becomes the only witness to a political assassination, his elder sister (Susan George) refuses to believe what he says he's seen and the boy is soon left alone and fending off the attention of the two corrupt policemen responsible (Peters Vaughan and Bowles).

EYE WITNESS is a tense little thriller with some great set-pieces, including a rather nerve-jangling car chase. Anchor Bay's US DVD presents the film in anamorphic 1.85:1 and the image is good, for the most part.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
Re: Eye Witness (John Hough, 1970)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2007 - 16:21 »

Not a bad little thriller this, would have been even better if it were not for the brat actor Mark Lester and his irritating "but Pippppaaa" pleas.  Isn't there a Turkish remake of this that is supposed to quite gory and entertaining?  I am sure I read about it in a old issue of Is it Uncut.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2007 - 17:39 »

Isn't there a Turkish remake of this that is supposed to quite gory and entertaining?  I am sure I read about it in a old issue of Is it Uncut.

First I've heard, though I'd certainly like to find out its title...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2007 - 19:30 »

Just rummaged through my back issues of Uncut and found that the Turkish rip-off of EYE-WITNESS was called LITTLE EYE-WITNESS.  How blatant can you get?  It was made in 1972 and directed by Guido Zurli and Turker Inanoglu.  Looks like the best release of this was on a Dutch VHS released by EVC.  The review can be found in issue 17 of Is it Uncut?.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2007 - 19:32 »

Just rummaged through my back issues of Uncut and found that the Turkish rip-off of EYE-WITNESS was called LITTLE EYE-WITNESS.  How blatant can you get?  It was made in 1972 and directed by Guido Zurli and Turker Inanoglu.  Looks like the best release of this was on a Dutch VHS released by EVC.  The review can be found in issue 17 of Is it Uncut?.

Cheers, mate. Nice one.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2007 - 20:02 »

Haha! Amazing! Those Turks seem to have a habit of taking every successful film they come across and then remake it for a Turkish audience. Plus they do it very blatantly too! Haha! I take my hat off in respect!  ;D

Phill

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jan 2008 - 22:14 »

Watched this the other night and thought it was entertaining stuff, Mark Lester wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought he would be and Susan George looked gorgeous as always  8) I must mention Lionel Jeffries though his performance was particulary good as the grandfather sort of a straight version of his character in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang if you know what I mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.