• 09 Dec 2019 - 11:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: All the Colors of the Dark / Tutti i colori del buio (Sergio Martino, 1972)  (Read 11304 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

A stunning film and possibly Sergio Martino's finest Giallo. Superb use of the English locations, Hammer fans will more than likely have seen Oakley Court a few times before, with the tube sequences apparently inspiring a similar set up in De Palma's 'Dressed to Kill'. This also features one of my favourite scores by Bruno Nicolai, I noticed in 'Blood & Black Lace' there was mention of the sitars being out of place in this score but I disagree and really like them. Adds to the insanity, especially during the orgy sequences.

A while back Paul sent me a picture of the apartment building featured in this film. Good to see they're still exactly the same and haven't been demolished.

I first had this on DVD from the German company Marketing films and was over the moon with it. Imagine how I felt when the Media Blasters/Shriek Show DVD came out and blew it out of the water.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Stephen Grimes

A while back Paul sent me a picture of the apartment building featured in this film. Good to see they're still exactly the same and haven't been demolished
The flats are in Putney,south west London and just around the corner from where i went to school as an 8 year old,didn't notice George,Edwige or any satanic covens there though :-\

vigilanteforce

I thought this one was nowhere as great as NEXT! aka THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS WARDH (which I consider one of the finest gialli ever) but still enjoyed it. I also replaced my marketing DVD with the Shriek Show one.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

'Mrs Wardh' is second on my list after 'Colors' Lefteris! We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one  :P
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

vigilanteforce

Every opinion is respected amigo!  :P Actually second in my list is THE CASE OF THE SCORPRION'S TAIL, followed by TORSO, ALL THE COLORS, YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM, SCORPION WITH TWO TAILS and last SUSPICIOUS DEATH which really disappointed me. Not including his early 90s gialli/erotic thrillers such as FOXY LADY, haven't seen them yet.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I'm really surprised Marc hasn't been all over this thread - those flats are about five minutes from fhis door, in a car.

I thought ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK was a really great giallo - had the German disc on the Marketing Film label and haven't seen it since then (more than five years ago) though I have since replaced that disc with the Shreik Show version.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

A while back Paul sent me a picture of the apartment building featured in this film. Good to see they're still exactly the same and haven't been demolished
The flats are in Putney,south west London and just around the corner from where i went to school as an 8 year old,didn't notice George or Edwige or any satanic covens around there though :-\

...and just across the river, opposite the little church where Patrick Traughton met his grisly end in THE OMEN.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Stephen Grimes

...and just across the river, opposite the little church where Patrick Traughton met his grisly end in THE OMEN.
I remember some of that scene being filmed in Bishops Park as well.

Phill

Watched this last year for the first time, class all the way! Must revisit it again soon, love the locations and the atmosphere is akin to ROSEMARY'S BABY imho.

Dorado

I just watched this one for the first time and thought it was great, I would rate it as Martino's 3rd best giallo behind "THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS WARDH" and "THE CASE OF THE SCORPRION'S TAIL".

K August

This is my favorite Martino giallo with Mrs. Wardh a close second (I still think it's lame the way Ivan Rassimov's 'Wardh' character was handled).

The stalking in the tube is one of the greatest of its type (I love how much Ivan Rassimov scares me. He was so amazing in the genre).  I think the women in this film are amongst the strongest and most interesting in all gialli, particularly since they wind up being victims in one sense or another.

I love the quasi-psychedelic nightmares and all that (both Martino and Fulci and their teams were brilliant in how they created these sequences), I wasn't too happy with the true reveal of the cult. I think it would have been far scarier if the police didn't reveal who the leader really was.

I almost liked George Hilton in this too (find him better here than in Mrs. Wardh imo).

This is a film I revist at least 2x a year, it always hits me the same way. A nice mix of Occult hoodoo and gialli sibling whackyness.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

I first had this on DVD from the German company Marketing films and was over the moon with it. Imagine how I felt when the Media Blasters/Shriek Show DVD came out and blew it out of the water.

The Marketing Films disc was one of the first R2 discs I bought ever.  I was only familiar with the film before that in its Independent International version with the video retitling DAY OF THE MANIAC.

The manor house that Edwige Fenech and Marina Malfatti (where's the appreciation for her?) go to for the Sabbat is also in England, isn't it?  I'm pretty sure it's the same location seen in DEMONS OF THE MIND (and LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE?), right?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

The manor house that Edwige Fenech and Marina Malfatti (where's the appreciation for her?) go to for the Sabbat is also in England, isn't it?  I'm pretty sure it's the same location seen in DEMONS OF THE MIND (and LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE?), right?

It's Oakley Court isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakley_Court

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

No, I'm sure it isn't.  According to the Wikipedia entry on THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, the location is Wykehurst Park:

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

No, I'm sure it isn't.  According to the Wikipedia entry on THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, the location is Wykehurst Park

Good spot! I'd not seen the film for a while and had in my mind that it was Oakley Court.

Doesn't look anything like it now you've put the picture up! What the hell was I thinking?  ???  :-\
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 34 queries.