• 12 Jul 2020 - 21:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting DVD label  (Read 8676 times)

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
Interesting DVD label
« on: 21 Oct 2007 - 08:57 »

Hi guys, sorry i've not posted here so much the past week or so.
The only time i can is during my work hours or the weekend. Been so busy with both :-*

Anyway, has anyone got DVDs from this company:
http://www.deimosdvd.com/?page=home

Some interesting things there. Lots of Paul Naschy too. The dvds seem to have a nice lick of paint, uncut etc...
Also if you click the link Ink and Paint, there's a DVD of the Original Ghostbusters - i remember that when i was a kid!

Dig that groove baby.

Stephen Grimes

Re: Interesting DVD label
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 17:56 »

Anyway, has anyone got DVDs from this company:
http://www.deimosdvd.com/?page=home

Their Spanish horror titles are amazing,beautiful transfers with English/Spanish options and loads of cool extras.They're about to release HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB which i'm in two minds to buy as i've already got the Mondo Crash 2 disc but Amando de Ossorio's THE LORELY'S GRASP is a must,love this film and rate it as good as NIGHT OF THE SORCERERS.Just hope they sell enough to warrant them releasing the next batch which will contain classics like COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE and HUNCHBACK OF THE MORGUE amongst others.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 18:21 »

They are a sub-label of BCI-Eclipse (aka Brentwood).

Some of their new sites:

www.deimosdvd.com
www.inkandpaintdvd.com
www.roninentertainment.com
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:23 »

They've put out some good stuff but their releases are suspect. In interviews they claimed to have spent thousands (even millions!) on remastering titles regardless of the fact that said films have already been released in their country of origin or like there cartoon sets like HE-MAN and SHE-RA, these were just ports of the British releases.

They also claimed to have spent over a million dollars remastering the original ULTRAMAN show which was entangled in a legal battle between the Thai company Chaiyo and original owners Tsuburaya. BCI claimed to have the rights to the show but they did not. Tsuburaya wanted to work with them but they didn't want to deal with them as they got the prints from Chaiyo (who had no legal claim to the show and have recently lost their court battle to Tsuburaya over this) for a, no doubt, much smaller sum. Upon seeing the shows, they have obviously not been remastered and the box claims that the episodes revert to Japanese because these bits were never dubbed into English is another lie as I have many of these tapes and they contain the scenes in English. Chaiyo simply didn't have complete English tracks for the shows as they did not legally own the show to begin with and nor did BCI.

There recent Naschy release are questionable too as these have already been released overseas sans subtitles. Granted, when these were remastered, it is possible that they remastered all other cuts for the various markets (as Celestial did with their Shaw Brothers movies) before BCI acquired them. Either way, I'm glad many of these are coming out, but they've been caught telling too many stories for me to believe they've totally abandoned their pirate ways. They do make lots of revenue from their PRIDE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS DVDs though and I'm sure they had to have paid for those. Of all the Naschy's, MUMMY'S REVENGE and NIGHT OF THE HOWLING BEAST needs to come out. I heard BEAST WITH THE MAGIC SWORD (one of Naschy's Spain/Japan co-prod) is possibly coming out.

HUNCHBACK OF THE MORGUE is already out in a beautiful release from Anolis.

Stephen Grimes

Re: Interesting DVDl label
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:40 »

There recent Naschy release are questionable too as these have already been released overseas sans subtitles. Granted, when these were remastered, it is possible that they remastered all other cuts for the various markets (as Celestial did with their Shaw Brothers movies) before BCI acquired them.
You need to read the last years worth of posts over at Laternia forum.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:42 »

Is that the 15 or 16 pages of bickering between Bill Knight and other posters about the cut footage?

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:43 »

Is that the 15 or 16 pages of bickering between Bill Knight and other posters about the cut footage?
Different edits for different markets.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:45 »

I have NIGHT OF THE SORCERORS and will most definitely have BLUE EYES OF A BROKEN DOLL when it comes out.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:47 »

Which thread am I looking for, Stephen? I see lots of them in the Naschy forum.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:48 »

WHEN THE SCREAMING STOPS (LORELEI'S GRASP) is a good one. Hopefully the original cut doesn't have those silly red flashes letting you know something gruesome is happening.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 19:59 »

I found a thread about WEREWOLF & THE YETI not having the nude bits which are bordering on hard core anyway so these were probably removed from the Spanish release back then.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 20:00 »

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 20:15 »

Well, I read the thread you linked to and it doesn't change my opinion of BCI in any way. Again, it's great these are coming out, but there methods are suspect in my eyes as well as many others. Anchor Bay didn't release any more Naschy movies because the initial two they had didn't sell. They paid for those movies remastering and all. How could BCI do this and still sell these things for $10? No way, man. The market for these is tiny and I don't believe they've invested tons of money into these and expect a profit. If they are spending all this cash, whoever is fronting the bread has HUGE pockets and apparently doesn't care about getting a "hole" in that pocket.

Cliff himself was attacked on the dvdmaniacs forum (as well as amazon.com) over the ULTRAMAN debacle. He stated he spent a million dollars remastering those and that's been proven to be a lie among several other things.

They also most recently claimed to have remastered the original KAGE NO GUNDAN season 1 Sonny Chiba show but this one was already done in Japan. They simply added subs to them and the release looks worse than the Japanese box set. BCI made the prints look darker somehow.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 20:17 »

Thanks for the link though. It's a nice site.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2007 - 20:21 »

The Naschy/Spanish horror discs look great,more power to them and i hope we see many more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 35 queries.