• 12 Jul 2020 - 23:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting DVD label  (Read 8678 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: Interesting DVD label
« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 19:51 »

I never badmouthed Anchor Bay! I've bought nearly every disc they've ever put out! Granted I had to return a ton of them, but I bought almost everything. When did I badmouth them? Whatever. From now on I'll keep my opinions to myself as it seems I'm denied them when I don't agree with the majority.

My comments were towards BCI, not AB! AB released a number of movies in the UK they didn't release here which I ASSUME means they had more faith those titles would sell better there. I didn't criticize AB. What by saying they released a bunch of bad batches of discs? It's the TRUTH! Did it stop me from buying their discs.........? NO! Did AB UK release a bunch of bad discs? I don't know as the only title I've bought from AB UK was DAWN OF THE MUMMY.

I already said I don't know how many they sold. I know several people who work in the DVD industry and I even help out on some of the releases subtitling and some of the titles (both legit and otherwise) DO NOT SELL. Therefore, these particular titles will be discontinued and no further similar titles will be released. Had AB's two Naschy flicks moved a lot of units than I'm sure they would have looked for other titles to acquire. SPECULATION...YES, BUT I STAND BY IT.

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 20:47 »

I was referring to the badmouthing of BCI.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 21:42 »

I have bought almost everything BCI has released but the badmouthing IS NOT HERESAY as far as they are concerned. THEY DID NOT LEGALLY OWN THE RIGHTS TO THE ULTRAMAN SHOW EVEN THOUGH THEY CLAIMED THEY CONTACTED TSUBURAYA THEY DID NOT. TSUBURAYA WANTED TO WORK WITH THEM BUT BCI DID NOT WANT TO "PAY" FOR THE MASTERS SO THEY WENT WITH CHAIYO. CHAIYO RECENTLY LOST A LONG COURT BATTLE AND CAN NO LONGER RELEASE, SELL OR EVEN MAKE SHOWS SIMILAR TO, OR INCLUDING ULTRAMAN AND HIS LIKENESS. A friend who has ties with Tsuburaya told me this and that Tsuburaya was upset with BCI for this. And I'm pretty sure this is truth as my friend did some subtitling work for Tsuburaya as I have the check discs for these and these discs were shown in 2004 in California at the World premiere of that godawful GODZILLA FINAL WARS.

That's great that they want to put out niche titles but regardless, they've done underhanded things to get their discs out. Does that mean I'll stop buying their stuff? No! In fact, I've got three friends who are PISSED AT ME for supporting BCI but until a better version of whatever it is comes out, I'm gonna buy their stuff.

That's how I feel about them and I have a right to my opinion just as anybody else does. I don't like some of the things they've done and they have lied about some of the releases not just the ULTRAMAN debacle. I'm still buying them though because nobody else is putting the stuff out.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 21:58 »

That's how I feel about them and I have a right to my opinion just as anybody else does.
No one said you didn't,infact you were the one who brought up all this.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 22:05 »

Yes, but things I said were taken out of context as if I was trying to keep people from buying the discs and if you look at my collection, that is not the case. And you, yourself made a comment towards me as if I was taking a jab at AB when I wasn't. And nay me all you want as I could care less about a stupid number anyways.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 22:08 »

Oh Christ!I'm off to watch some Mario Bianchi   ;)

What's that Viz character called? Terry ....?  :-\

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 22:10 »

Cool. Do let me know what your friend digs up in regards to possible english dubs. Whether they existed, no longer exist or where never done. I tried to PM you about it but you seem to have blocked me. :-*

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #37 on: 22 Oct 2007 - 22:13 »

I tried to PM you about it but you seem to have blocked me. :-*
Is it any surprise i have :D

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #38 on: 23 Oct 2007 - 06:55 »

i'm sorry to have mentioned this company. Didn't mean to bring up arguments.

Everyone take a step back and relax.  ::)

But it is GREAT banter! lol
Dig that groove baby.

Mirek

« Reply #39 on: 04 Nov 2007 - 13:12 »

Hi, guys.  I can't speak for BCI's other acquisitions, but the Spanish horror titles were acquired from the legitimate licensor of these titles and the company did pay a pretty penny for them.  You can't receive high-quality HD masters of vault elements any other way.

Mirek

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #40 on: 04 Nov 2007 - 14:43 »

Thanks for posting Mirek and keep up the good work with those stunning Spanish horror dvd releases,great job.

Mirek

« Reply #41 on: 04 Nov 2007 - 15:12 »

Thanks, Stephen!  Though I'm trying my best to help with these releases, a lot of praise should go to BCI (and Cliff) for taking a chance on them.  Without money, you can't do anything.  Euro-horror is a niche market, so that whenever a DVD company steps up to try their hand at releasing anything from the genre we should be grateful and, I hope, as supportive financially as we can, given our own financial situation.  It really is a perilous time for non-major DVD companies.  Witness what's happened to No Shame and CasaNegra--and, to some extent, Blue Underground.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #42 on: 04 Nov 2007 - 17:42 »

i'm a little ignorant when it comes to all things "dvd labels". But it surprises me that companies like BU are struggling, especially when they release excellent titles, I for one buy them regularly. I suppose they put a lot of time, money, and effort into a title yet it sells for £10 on sites.

BTW, keep up the great work Mirek.
Dig that groove baby.

Mirek

« Reply #43 on: 04 Nov 2007 - 18:10 »

Thanks, broonage.  I don't know if this forum has had such a discussion, but there have been a few changes in the last couple of years regarding the distribution of DVDs.  Speaking for the USA, significant venues like Tower have closed down, and the major ones that remain, like Best Buy, tend to stock what's popular to the general public and not the horror fan (unless it's the latest SAW or HOSTEL film).  That leaves smaller DVD labels with less of an opportunity to present their product to buyers.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #44 on: 04 Nov 2007 - 18:19 »

When I was in the US a few months ago I couldn't find anything 'cult' in the shops, with the sole exception of Amoeba in SF and LA. The time before that even places like Borders had sections full to bursting of stuff for me to buy.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.