• 14 Aug 2022 - 10:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)  (Read 41543 times)

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
Re: Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)
« Reply #60 on: 29 May 2010 - 06:36 »

Watched the Blu-Ray last night - it looks absolutely gorgeous, parts of it look almost 3D.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Sundance

« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2010 - 18:29 »

Am I the only one who thinks some of the BU Blu-Rays have a bit too digital looking grain in them? :-*

Django for example. I have no doubt it will look gorgeous even to me once I get the disc (and I am buying it as soon as I get money), but the screenshots (regardless of the site that have posted them) have this a bit too digital look to them... almost like artifacts from bad compression. Other discs, if my memory is correct, include the Stendhal Syndrome and the City of the Living Dead.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #62 on: 29 May 2010 - 18:37 »

One of the most impressive Blu-Ray discs I have seen for an older film, parts of it do indeed look 3-D like.  This is a must-own if you have a Blu-Ray player.  As for the grain, this is present in the original negative so it is a faithful transfer.  Digital remastering techniques that remove grain can make the image soft, less detailed and quite waxy looking.  Just look at some of the recent MGM releases of the Leone westerns.

Sundance

« Reply #63 on: 29 May 2010 - 18:40 »

Yeah, I am not a grain hater, in fact I love it. With a lot of BU titles it (the grain) just looks more digital than with Blu-Rays from some other companies (like the Leone westerns from Italian companies, although at least FAFDM does seem to suffer from filtering...). But I don't know, maybe it looks exactly the way it is supposed to... :-*

Sundance

« Reply #64 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 19:09 »

Something more regarding the grain... some people seem to think it is fake, added afterwards (by accident or intentionally).

Some quotes from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1160777&page=2 :

First they DNR'd the hell out of it, then they artificially shaprened it and last but noch least they ran it trough an encoder which left an atrocious amout of video noise. Yes, thats not grain you are seeing there, it's video noise. It's clearly visible cause the black dots are covering the EE halos. If it was grain, the grain would have been destroyed by the EE halos.

OK, I just talked to some people here in NYC who do this for a living and their opinion is that Django was DNR'd of grain, then given fake grain, added via computer. They even showed me the algorithm for grain that looked exactly the same.

They are obviously all just guessing, and I don't know what is going on either, but I think it doesn't look like normal grain.

I'm buying it anyways. ;D

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #65 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 19:20 »

Honestly, some people really do nitpick.  Who gives a shit?  It looks great to my eyes and is miles beyond the BU DVD.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #66 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 19:29 »

Honestly, some people really do nitpick.  Who gives a shit?  It looks great to my eyes and is miles beyond the BU DVD.

Do you think these people would be good company to watch a film with? I can just imagine them piping up about haloing and DNR whilst the film is playing...

I'd have to ask them to leave.

Sundance

« Reply #67 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 19:53 »

Well if it was DNRd and DSRd, then sharpened and then received fake grain, the fact is that it could look much better than it does (and I'm not saying it doesn't look good now) probably without doing anything in the first place... If the format can offer better, it sucks we aren't getting that. And I don't think it is nitpicking to discuss if the grain is what is supposed to be there or is something added after they degraded the quality. >:(

First its important it is grain that belongs to the original negative, yet if it in fact is fake then it is just nitpicking to say so and who gives a shit?

Like I already said, I'm buying it, to me it looks much better than the DVD.

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #68 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 20:23 »

Confirmed as Region A.

It's a real shame that it's locked, this is one I'd definitely have imported. BU are the last company I would have expected that from, weren't all of their dvd's region free?

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #69 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 20:24 »

This is honestly the best that I have ever seen this film look, and I've watched it many times on various different media (VHS, TV, DVD, Blu Ray). Fuck the naysayers.

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #70 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 20:25 »

Confirmed as Region A.

It's a real shame that it's locked, this is one I'd definitely have imported. BU are the last company I would have expected that from, weren't all of their dvd's region free?

It was probably a condition of the license.

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Sundance

« Reply #71 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 20:33 »

Maybe someone will release it in region B soon, didn't the DVDs come out pretty much everywhere once the BU disc came out?

I hope the BU disc sells well though, maybe they could bring out their other previously released SWs on Blu as well.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #72 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 20:57 »

Well if it was DNRd and DSRd, then sharpened and then received fake grain, the fact is that it could look much better than it does (and I'm not saying it doesn't look good now) probably without doing anything in the first place... If the format can offer better, it sucks we aren't getting that. And I don't think it is nitpicking to discuss if the grain is what is supposed to be there or is something added after they degraded the quality. Angry

First its important it is grain that belongs to the original negative, yet if it in fact is fake then it is just nitpicking to say so and who gives a shit?

Sundance, I was not directing my rant at you but mainly at the small subculture that devote so much time nitpicking about the picture quality of niche Blu-Ray and DVD releases.  Until someone gets confirmation from the person who created the transfer/remastered the film we will not know whether fake grain was added or not.  The mere fact that DJANGO has been released on Blu-Ray warrants applause.  Remember, the profit margins for such a release will be very slim and this is targeted at a niche audience.  I just find it disheartening to see people moan about the presentation when, as Jonny rightly intimated, it is the film that deserves our attention.

I believe that Argent owns the rights to the film in the UK, perhaps Arrow or Nouveaux might release it on region B Blu-Ray?

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 21:18 »

Arrow would be great, they've released some very nice discs lately.  ::)

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #74 on: 02 Jun 2010 - 21:27 »

Well if it was DNRd and DSRd, then sharpened and then received fake grain, the fact is that it could look much better than it does (and I'm not saying it doesn't look good now) probably without doing anything in the first place... If the format can offer better, it sucks we aren't getting that. And I don't think it is nitpicking to discuss if the grain is what is supposed to be there or is something added after they degraded the quality. Angry

Sundance, I was not directing my rant at you but mainly at the small subculture that devote so much time nitpicking about the picture quality of niche Blu-Ray and DVD releases.  Until someone gets confirmation from the person who created the transfer/remastered the film we will not know whether fake grain was added or not.  The mere fact that DJANGO has been released on Blu-Ray warrants applause.  Remember, the profit margins for such a release will be very slim and this is targeted at a niche audience.  I just find it disheartening to see people moan about the presentation when, as Jonny rightly intimated, it is the film that deserves our attention.

I believe that Argent owns the rights to the film in the UK, perhaps Arrow or Nouveaux might release it on region B Blu-Ray?

From the caps, I think it looks great.  I do seem to remember when I first got the SD edition that at least during the opening credits, the grain seemed rather static.  I can't find my copy right now, does anyone else have it that can check (Blue Underground's SD edition which I think was from the same source, not the Anchor Bay edition that came from an incomplete print).

I am happy that Blue Underground didn't do 7.1 remixes of the original track (it may be possible that they didn't have access to the separate dialogue and M&E tracks) and gave loseless encodes to both the Italian and English mono tracks (I think the original mono on some of their other releases has been non-HD Dolby Digital).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.