• 14 Aug 2022 - 10:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)  (Read 41546 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)
« Reply #75 on: 03 Jun 2010 - 11:09 »

Honestly, some people really do nitpick.  Who gives a shit?  It looks great to my eyes and is miles beyond the BU DVD.

Do you think these people would be good company to watch a film with? I can just imagine them piping up about haloing and DNR whilst the film is playing...

I'd have to ask them to leave.

:-\ That made me laugh, and I agree with you completely.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Bogan The Wanderer

« Reply #76 on: 03 Jun 2010 - 12:57 »

The DJANGO Blu caps look great to me.  I have no proof either way but personally, if I had to guess, I kind of doubt that Lustig deliberately took the grain out of the movie, then digitally dumped some fake grain back in afterwards.  It kind of defeats the point, Lustig visits enough forums to know various fans nitpick this sort of stuff to death, and he's always seemed concerned to do a good job with the transfers.  What do I know, this is just a guess, but I think some of these folk who scrutinize screenshots sometimes read too much into these things.  I know VIGILANTE is coming later this year, along with the Cassavetes Eurocrime flick.  I wonder what other Blus BU will pick out of their catalogue in the future?  Blu-Rays of the other key Fulci titles would seriously kick ass.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #77 on: 03 Jun 2010 - 13:25 »

These over-zealous “critics” seem more pre-occupied in watching the print than actually enjoying the film. Obviously when you’re reviewing a disc you have to be honest about the transfer itself but these people take scrutiny to a whole new level. You only see this kind of pedantry online too – just goes to show how much time some people have on their hands, I guess. Still, I think there are a lot of online reviewers who would rather harp on about negatives than they would celebrate the good characteristics. It’s sad. I think it’s far easier to write a negative review than it is to write a positive review; hence I always push myself to really go all out to find something to praise. But that’s me…

As for the DJANGO Blu-ray, I’ve not seen it, nor have I bought it. I’m still using a region-locked PS3 for Blu-ray and must say, this is still one of the only titles that I would have bought had I been able to play it. I’ve been really impressed with the screen caps that I’ve seen around the net – they look superb.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #78 on: 04 Jun 2010 - 07:07 »

These over-zealous “critics” seem more pre-occupied in watching the print than actually enjoying the film. Obviously when you’re reviewing a disc you have to be honest about the transfer itself but these people take scrutiny to a whole new level. You only see this kind of pedantry online too – just goes to show how much time some people have on their hands, I guess. Still, I think there are a lot of online reviewers who would rather harp on about negatives than they would celebrate the good characteristics. It’s sad. I think it’s far easier to write a negative review than it is to write a positive review; hence I always push myself to really go all out to find something to praise. But that’s me…

It's tricky.  You are reviewing the DVD (or BluRay) which is the product however much you may like or dislike the film itself.  Then someone points you to some discussion link of over-zealous critics of your review of the presentation that point out everything you've supposedly missed.  Then some take offense if you say that the presentation isn't perfect but good for a film of this type (I'd love all films including Eurocult stuff to get 2K restorations but it ain't gonna happen... EVER!).  Then on the other side you get criticized for criticizing MYA's attempts to get "otherwise unavailable" stuff out into the market (by way of fandub-type composites of Italian videotapes - which might be cropped but "at least" they don't have foreign subs burnt-in so they can pass for original transfers if you're half-blind). 

I haven't seen the BU Blu in motion but I'm just fascinated (and at times annoyed) by what disc producers feel they need to do to these films to make these high definition presentations "look" high definition.  In the case of CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, it looks like Arrow brightened it during encoding but does Blue Underground's look any more faithful to the original master or was there additional work done to their version too?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #79 on: 04 Jun 2010 - 08:52 »

…but your reviews are never too critical, Eric. I think you hit the perfect balance. I don’t think reviewers shouldn’t pick up on a disc’s shortcomings, I just don’t think they should dwell on them and twist the knife, as it were. There are certain people that make it their life’s mission to nitpick in order to build a reputation as some kind of oracle or “all seeing  eye”: those guys are pedantic to the point that I actually experience violent urges.  :-\

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #80 on: 04 Jun 2010 - 09:31 »

But there's still that nagging question when finishing a review of "was I critical enough?" (in the negative sense) lest one of the oracles hit upon something missed that turns out to be a big deal...

minesalager

« Reply #81 on: 14 Jan 2012 - 21:03 »

As i am a novice to this genre i only just got round to watching this , all i can say is this film is stunning ! not just the story and the plot but the performances (nero is excellent) the sets, the vibrant colour, the look and the feel to the whole movie is superb plus the superb music score.

i can only hope that as i unearth more spaghetti westerns they are as good as this.  :-X

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #82 on: 14 Jan 2012 - 21:11 »

Glad you liked it Graham, check out Massacre Time, The Mercenary (A Professional Gun) and Companeros. I reckon you'll like them.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

minesalager

« Reply #83 on: 14 Jan 2012 - 21:25 »

ive already got The mercenary and companeros  lined up Aaron, plus a blu ray of Pale rider is on its way, cant beat a bit of Clint !  :'(

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #84 on: 29 Jan 2012 - 21:37 »

Wait... an American Western?

Stick with the European Westerns - I have got reviews of Italian, German and East German Westerns that should keep you in films to buy for a good while yet.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #85 on: 30 Jan 2012 - 18:09 »

All the Clint westerns are good whether Italian or American  :D

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #86 on: 30 Jan 2012 - 18:20 »

Even PAINT YOUR WAGON?
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #87 on: 30 Jan 2012 - 18:22 »

Even PAINT YOUR WAGON?
I don't count that  ;D

It surely would be classed as a musical.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #88 on: 30 Jan 2012 - 18:22 »

It's still a Western.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #89 on: 31 Jan 2012 - 09:20 »

All the Clint westerns are good whether Italian or American  :D

I think HANG 'EM HIGH is quite weak, tbh. Never seen JOE KIDD but haven't heard much that's positive about that, either.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.