• 08 Aug 2022 - 07:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nosferatu in Venice / Nosferatu a Venezia (Augusto Caminito, 1988)  (Read 10647 times)

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

Very interesting but not quite successful film that I've always had a soft-spot for. Some parts don't work but it's an atmospheric and strange film. Of course, I've always had a thing for flawed and troubled productions such as RING OF DARKNESS, and I think NOSFERATU IN VENICE fits nicely with that film.

Anyway, has anyone checked out the German DVD release from Midnight Movies? I think it's supposed to be a bootleg release but it might be a good-looking one. I know it has German, English and Italian language options but I'm curious about the actual picture quality...

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action

That's funny. I watched a copy of Midnight Movies' THE SPIDER LABYRINTH on Friday, and after the film there's a nice Japanese trailer for NOSFERATU IN VENICE... I was wondering what it was like.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

The Japanese NOSFERATU IN VENICE trailer is on the Japanese tape release of SPIDER LABYRINTH.

Apparently there is an anamorphic Spanish DVD of NOSFERATU IN VENICE with Italian and Spanish audio.  Sounds like a great opportunity for a fandub.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

I've just found the Midnight Movies disc on eBay, it's under the German title: Nosferatu in Venedig - had no idea it was available and have just ordered it. Thanks guys.

Anyone else interested in owning this - the seller has two more copies.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

Apparently there is an anamorphic Spanish DVD of NOSFERATU IN VENICE with Italian and Spanish audio.  Sounds like a great opportunity for a fandub.

I would imagine that the German Midnight Movies DVD is in fact a fan dub sourced from the Spanish DVD.

tilapia

No diss for those of you who like this but I remember NOSFERATU IN VENICE as very, very... gay. A fun imdb review describes as having the "the kind of existential angst that would make a 14 year old goth blush", and I agree fully. I was actually slightly embaressed by Kinski's acting in this, sure the guy is awsome but you can't just let him loose like this, especially on the set of a romantic vampire movie, things can get ugly... Had the jap VHS and sold it cheap with a smile on my face.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

No diss for those of you who like this but I remember NOSFERATU IN VENICE as very, very... gay. A fun imdb review describes as having the "the kind of existential angst that would make a 14 year old goth blush", and I agree fully. I was actually slightly embaressed by Kinski's acting in this, sure the guy is awsome but you can't just let him loose like this, especially on the set of a romantic vampire movie, things can get ugly... Had the jap VHS and sold it cheap with a smile on my face.

No diss.  Its not exactly a good film.  Its interesting to watch and try to gauge what the producer Augusto Caminito (MURDEROCK, PAPRIKA) intended with the film given its troubled production history.  At one point Kinski did some direction as did Mario Ciaino (I don't think Kinski liked him but it might have been Cozzi) and Luigi Cozzi before Caminito took over.  Parts of it look more lush than anything you would have expected from either of the two seasoned directors working on a more standard exploitation budget.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

No diss for those of you who like this but I remember NOSFERATU IN VENICE as very, very... gay.

Meaning what, exactly?

Anyway, I think Kinski's vampire look in this film is great and I really enjoy his presence in this film. It has loads of great atmosphere but does fall flat in other scenes. Its biggest problem is how poorly it sets up and introduces most of the characters. We are often not sure who is who and what the relation between the characters is supposed to be. This is especially true of Helietta's younger sister Maria (played by Anne Knecht), whose character becomes pivotal to the plot in the last third but by the time that happens, most will be scratching their heads and wondering who the hell she was supposed to be. It's too bad because without such sloppiness, the film could have been so much better.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

I wonder who was the bigger source of contention in the film, Caminito or Kinski?  Caminito certainly produced some slick films in the eighties and nineties (Fulci's MURDEROCK, Brass' PAPRIKA) and NOSFERATU IN VENICE has some nice sequences and some beautiful shots such as the opening "magic hour" hunting party scene but the intermediate material is kind of blah.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

I'm writing an article on 1980s vampire films and have to put this in! Just bought a copy of the German disc as I need to see it again - I really enjoyed it when I saw it years ago. What's the quality of the Midnight Movies disc like?
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Still not watched mine, Ben, but I've just scanned through my disc; it's non-anamorphic, but picture looks okay on my laptop, ifa little dark in the night/interior scenes. Here are some grabs:

"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

I have two copies of this film.  One is the Japanese VHS original.  The other is called VAMPIRES IN VENICE.  The title doesn't look like a video burn so I'm assuming its an alternate release title.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

Thanks for posting the grabs Paul. Looks like a decent print to me.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

Thanks for posting the grabs Paul. Looks like a decent print to me.

You're welcome,mate. It'scertainly not a bad print, though it could be better.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

Received my copy this morning. Looking forward to revisiting the film very soon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.