• 20 May 2022 - 11:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977)  (Read 70955 times)

LANZETTA

Re: Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977)
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2007 - 22:57 »

My introduction into the world of Argento. Loved every second of it. I hate hearing people say its style over substance, i completely disagree.
My introduction also, i finally managed to get hold of a dvd of this having only seen this once before on tv.As Paul says this movie is an "attack on the senses" but i thought it was  fantastic throughout and that eerie music is something else. ;)

I'm kicking myself for forgetting to record DEEP RED from the Film4 movie channel recently which i understand is Argento's sequel and a better film in some peoples opinions.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 00:07 »

My introduction into the world of Argento. Loved every second of it. I hate hearing people say its style over substance, i completely disagree.
My introduction also, i finally managed to get hold of a dvd of this having only seen this once before on tv.As Paul says this movie is an "attack on the senses" but i thought it was  fantastic throughout and that eerie music is something else. ;)

I'm kicking myself for forgetting to record DEEP RED from the Film4 movie channel recently which i understand is Argento's sequel and a better film in some peoples opinions.

DEEP RED is a separate film entirely and it was released two years prior. It's highly recommended though, at least from me anyway. The sequel was INFERNO (1980) and aside from one scene it's forgettable, IMO. I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. I sold it not long after. Also, it was either Bava's final film as cinematographer or special effects before his death I can't remember which at the moment.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 00:08 »

Oh, and the third film has just recently seen release and it seems fans are divided on it. It's called THE THIRD MOTHER.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 08:28 »

Oh, and the third film has just recently seen release and it seems fans are divided on it. It's called THE THIRD MOTHER.

Thanks for the heads up Commissario!  :-*

You not seen this thread then?

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum/index.php?topic=736.0

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 16:03 »

HA! Yeah I've read the thread. I was just answering LANZETTA. I should have linked it to him but didn't. :-\

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 16:04 »

HA! Yeah I've read the thread. I was just answering LANZETTA. I should have linked it to him but didn't. :-\

We thought you were trying to educate us all, mate  :-\
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2007 - 16:24 »

We thought you were trying to educate us all, mate  :-\

Oh no. I don't think LANZETTA is all that big into gory horror and I figured he probably wouldn't bother with seeing it or at least not right away.

CardPlayer4

« Reply #22 on: 06 Mar 2008 - 09:48 »

The remake...soon??

EXCL: David Gordon Green Talks Suspiria Remake
Source:Edward Douglas March 5, 2008

Last year, it was mentioned that a remake of Dario Argento's 1977 horror classic Suspiria was in the works and that David Gordon Green was one of the filmmakers in talks to direct, but today, in an interview for his new film Snow Angels, Green confirmed to ShockTillYouDrop.com that the project is still very much alive after the Writers' Strike.

While Green is well known among indie film fans for his early dramas George Washington and All the Real Girls, Green's first foray into genre flicks was 2005's Undertow, which took its cues from '70s revenge thrillers, and this summer, Green makes his first studio movie with the Seth Rogen action comedy Pineapple Express.

One of the many projects he could do now that he's finished with the anticipated comedy includes that Argento remake, which he'd like to direct as well as write. "These Italian producers came to me about it, wanting to do a pretty amazing, ambitious, artistic (version)," he told us. "It could be pretty wild." Even though the original movie was already in English (and starred American actress Jessica Harper), this would feature an all-American cast but would be shot in Europe. It might not be the next thing on Green's plate to direct since he has a lot of ideas including a big-budget action movie, adapting John Grisham's non-fiction book "An Innocent Man" and a "medieval project."

It certainly wouldn't be Green's last venture into horror if the other idea he told us about comes to fruition. "I'd also like to start a straight-to-video action company that just does genre movies. Me and my friend Darius just finished the script called "One in the Chamber." It's just a guy going to get his kidnapped son out of prison. Give me a couple million bucks to go explore some schlock. I'd like to be the next Roger Corman. He would have his hand in freakin' 'Piranha' but also in Fellini. I like that idea. I would love to do some genre stuff but also some crazy intimate, no-budget movies. That's my problem. I only have one me, and I have a limited number of years before I die, and the biggest problem is that I like to do a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with movies and movies are very time-consuming, so you have to make choices, and that's really frustrating."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #23 on: 06 Mar 2008 - 16:52 »

This has been on the cards since at least 2003, when Miramax/Dimension were in the frame for remaking it. I wouldn't hold my breath, though Green is an interesting choice of director. That said, Neil LaBute was an interesting choice of director for the WICKER MAN remake - and look how that turned out.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Diabolik2

« Reply #24 on: 06 Mar 2008 - 18:32 »

I thought the WICKER MAN remake (with Nicolas Cage?) was good.

Almost as good as the original one.  Sorry.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #25 on: 06 Mar 2008 - 21:00 »

Wash your mouth out witg soap, Alwin.  :-\

Pear Head

« Reply #26 on: 07 Mar 2008 - 13:49 »

You CANT remake Suspiria surely. it'll be shit. you take it from your uncle Pear Head.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #27 on: 07 Mar 2008 - 14:41 »

You CANT remake Suspiria surely. it'll be shit. you take it from your uncle Pear Head.

Haha. I'll still probably watch it though.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2008 - 18:53 »

Just heard back from a friend who was at the recent 'Dead By Dawn' festival where they showed the Three Mothers Trilogy. As I suspected the print of 'Suspiria' shown was the vintage theatrical print that belongs to the Museum Of Film & Television in Bradford and not a newly struck print from the Miramax HD transfer as some had previously suggested on the ABUK forums (RIP).

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2008 - 10:48 »

I was lucky enough to have never seen this film panned and scanned.  My introduction to it was the Magnum Entertainment tape (I believe SUSPIRIA and the VHS release of THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE AND HER LOVER were two of the first intentionally letterboxed VHS transfers on the market - excepting those hardmatted films that smaller video labels did not "bother" to crop) followed by the Anchor Bay disc (yeah, yeah, the sound issues have been discussed to death).

INFERNO, I first saw on the cropped but complete Key Video VHS release (the box claimed the film was made in 1978 and ran only 81 minutes or so but it was the complete 107 minute version).

While I place MOTHER OF TEARS on the same lower level with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, I have to honestly say I cannot say whether SUSPIRIA or INFERNO is the better film.  I love the fact that other than the credits font and knowing who the actors are, SUSPIRIA looks as if it were shot yesterday (except without the digitally desaturated color palette of most modern horror films) and stylistically it is the better film but I love INFERNO's world of creepy libraries, book stores, architecture, alchemy, classical music, matte paintings and in-camera opticals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.