Euro Cult Movie Forum > Gialli

Perfume Of The Lady In Black (Francesco Barilli, 1974)

(1/5) > >>

Paul:
Original Italian title: Il Profumo della signora in nero

An excellent film. It seems unfair (and rather misguided) that the film is often refered to as a giallo - it's more a character study in the vein of Roman Polanski's Repulsion, IMO. The real stand out is Mimsy Farmer, however, who is a real revelation in the cenral role.

Stephen Grimes:
This is very similar in tone to Luigi Bazzoni's Le Orme(Footprints) and i think you're right about it be unfairly refered to as a giallo Paul as i certainly wouldn't put it in that genre either,quite difficult to define this really but the word classic does come to mind.

Paul:
It's a really affecting film and Mimsy Farmer is temendous in it. this really does polarise people. I've had conversations with many people that dislike it and they usually cite the languid pacing or the ending. I would definitely agree with you, Stephen. It's a classic.

Jonny:
It's definitely a classic in my estimations. A superb film, I can see the tenuous link that makes some people call it a Gialli but, it is, like Comp says a Polianski style character study. I've probably only seen Mimsy in a handful of films in fact only 'Autopsy' springs to mind after this film. She is really great in this, slowly going nuts, and I found the end to be quite touching and sad. When I say the end, I mean the rooftop scene with Mimsy on her own... Not the bit after it.  :D

One of my most prized DVD's the Raro edition of this film has a brilliant transfer, only ever saw this film on VHS prior to the DVD via the Greek tape.

Paul:

--- Quote from: Jonny on 13 Jul 2007 - 13:25 ---I've probably only seen Mimsy in a handful of films in fact only 'Autopsy' springs to mind after this film. She is really great in this, slowly going nuts, and I

--- End quote ---

You musr have seen Fulci's BLACK CAT and Argento's FOUR FLIES, Jonny?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version