• 14 Aug 2022 - 10:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Island of the Fishmen / L'isola degli uomini pesce (Sergio Martino, 1979)  (Read 14654 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

I didn't know quite where to put this as the film isn't really a horror film and I didn't see an existing thread. Watched the NoShame Italy dvd of this last night having not seen it in years. The last time was in the mid 80's on television and video tape under the SCREAMERS title. At the time, I had no idea of the films origins and assumed the cut and paste job from New World was the original movie. I watched it twice last night and enjoyed it more the second time around. I would bet most people here aren't fans of the movie considering its lack of gore and nudity. The cinematography is excellent as is the score.

Watched a chunk of the 60 minute doc on the films making which had no English options but the section with Massimo Antonello Geleng where he talks about the creatures showcases some nice drawings of the various sets such as the mansion on the island and the lost city of Atlantis beneath it. Sergio Martino is without doubt, one of the best Italian directors of cult cinema. I wonder what kind of movie he could have concocted with a sizable budget and enough time to fully realize the picture?

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

I've always enjoyed this film. It might lack obvious action but it has an intriguing atmosphere. Unlike the 1995 sequel The Fishmen And Their Queen.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

IL COMMISSARIO

I've always enjoyed this film. It might lack obvious action but it has an intriguing atmosphere. Unlike the 1995 sequel The Fishmen And Their Queen.

I missed out on that double feature disc but from what I've read about the sequel, I didn't miss much although it sounded well over the top.

Stephen Grimes

I've always enjoyed this film. It might lack obvious action but it has an intriguing atmosphere.
Same here,first saw it a good 10 or more years back via the VIPCO pre-cert (which was the original Italian cut but shortened to fit on an E-90 tape) and snapped up the NoShame disc as soon as it was released.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato

Same here,first saw it a good 10 or more years back via the VIPCO pre-cert (which was the Italian cut but shortened to fit on an E-90 tape) and snapped up the NoShame disc as soon as it was released.

I've still got my Vipco pre-cert. Had to get Marketing Films' double-feature disc for the full-on fishmen treatment.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

Same here,first saw it a good 10 or more years back via the VIPCO pre-cert (which was the Italian cut but shortened to fit on an E-90 tape) and snapped up the NoShame disc as soon as it was released.

I've still got my Vipco pre-cert. Had to get Marketing Films' double-feature disc for the full-on fishmen treatment.
I've got that marketing films dvd, i never got around to watching the sequel though, these late films from my favourite Italian directors are quite often a dissapointment.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Andrew Monroe

For many years I only knew this one as SCREAMERS, as good old Roger Corman added some new footage shot by Dan T. Miller at the begining, cut a bit here and there, and retitled it. The new footage is some pretty gory throat rippings, etc,  and has Cameron Mitchell in it (as the world`s phoniest pirate - arghh matey!). I have the old Embassy tape of this version, and the nice NoShame dvd...I like both versions in this case for very different reasons.

Stephen Grimes

Neo Publishing SE with French/Italian options plus 2 documentaries incl.interviews with Martino,Geleng,Paolo Ricci and Giancarlo Ferrando.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

I watched it twice last night and enjoyed it more the second time around. ...The cinematography is excellent as is the score. ... Sergio Martino is without doubt, one of the best Italian directors of cult cinema.

This has been in my wish list at Xploited for some time, so I picked up the Noshame disc last night based on all the love I'm hearing (and feeling) in this thread.  Can't wait for it to arrive.  I love Martino's films, especially the Gialli with Edwige Fenech  8) and George Hilton.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Review of the NoShame Italy DVD is on the main site...

Island of the Fishmen - NoShame Italy DVD review

Distorty

Haha this film if FUN. I admit it did drag a bit at times but that's a common occurrence for any EuroCult films.

The makeup effects are great considering, I love the scene when

[spoiler]Claudio Cassinelli stabs the strange half fishman in that tub, that thing was creepy as hell.[/spoiler]

Gary B.

What did you think, Michael?  I really like anything with Cassinelli, and Martino is a fine craftsman.  Seemed almost like a classic Hollywood horror film, since it lacks the intense gore/horror/exploitation elements of many other Italian films of the time.  Also the cheap look of the 'Fishmen' monsters add an element of early Hollywood monster movies...that soundtrack is great too!  need to grab that CD eventually...

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton

What did you think, Michael?  I really like anything with Cassinelli, and Martino is a fine craftsman.  Seemed almost like a classic Hollywood horror film, since it lacks the intense gore/horror/exploitation elements of many other Italian films of the time.  Also the cheap look of the 'Fishmen' monsters add an element of early Hollywood monster movies...that soundtrack is great too!  need to grab that CD eventually...

Couldn't agree more.  Very atmospheric film.  ::)  The CD - from Magnus' fin de siecle label  :'( -  is killer, too!
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

Here's my DVDBeaver comparison of the NoShame and MYA discs of ISLAND OF THE FISHMEN:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/island_of_the_fishmen.htm

Thanks to Ben Gart for loaning me his NoShame disc for the comparison.

eiren

Looks like the extra lines of resolution on the PAL version really make a noticeable difference on the Noshame disc. Thanks for that.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.