• 08 Aug 2022 - 07:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks (Ramiro Oliveros, 1974)  (Read 10082 times)

Stephen Grimes

Italian title: Terror! Il castello delle donne maledette

Just been looking at Raro's site and see they're releasing this Italian gothic horror classic on September 11,haven't seen it since i sold my pre-cert tape years ago and never bothered to get the Something Weird dvd.
English,Italian and French language options and if the quality is anything like their previous releases WEREWOLF WOMAN and DEEP RIVER SAVAGES then we're in for a treat.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks coming to Raro
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 10:41 »

I've never seen this one and it's been a while since I watched any old school Gothic horror so I might just pick this up, sounds like a winner.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 10:52 »

It's a good one and a bit strange but what a cast!
Edmund Purdom,Rossano Brazzi,Luciano Pigozzi,Gordon Mitchell,Sal Boris(the monster from The Beast in Heat) and the dwarf actor Michael Dunn.There's also Xiro Papas who starred with Gordon Mitchell in the excellent FRANKENSTEIN '80.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 11:19 »

It's alright. There's no gore at all and Salvatore Baccaro is about the only real reason to see it and Michael Dunn as a pervert. There's more sexual shenanigans going on than anything else. Mitchell has little to do. Very funny movie, though. It was a mainstay on Elvira's Movie Macabre tv show back in the 80s. In fact, it's on a double feature with DEVIL'S WEDDING NIGHT as part of Elvira's Movie Macabre collection. You can either watch them with or without Elvira's bits. The prints are not remastered but are complete. You can get the single for around $6 or double features for $10.

Stephen Grimes

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 11:39 »

I've got the UK dvd of this in a two-disc set with MEAT IS MEAT as the 'Something Weird Collection 1'. Both discs are just ports of the US dvds.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 11:45 »

I've seen the UK disc about but never bothered with it incase it was cut etc,wouldn't mind seeing MEAT IS MEAT(Strangler of Vienna) though as it was directed by Guido Zurli who was responsible for the excellent Merenda crime/actioner TARGET.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 11:58 »

It's certainly not cut compared to the US disc (in fact it's rated 15) but Something Weird aren't exactly renowned for utilising the fullest prints so the Italian disc could well turn out longer.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 12:01 »

It's certainly not cut compared to the US disc (in fact it's rated 15) but Something Weird aren't exactly renowned for utilising the fullest prints so the Italian disc could well turn out longer.
Good point,hopefully the Raro disc will be the definate edition.

CJ

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 12:42 »

I've got the US R1 DVD from Something Weird, and it's a riot! More strange imagery and odd goings-on than you can shake a stick at. It's not really what you'd call a 'good' film, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nevertheless. It's up there with Bloody Pit of Horror. Great fun.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 12:46 »

t's up there with Bloody Pit of Horror. Great fun.

Now you've really got me interested in it!

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 12:48 »

More strange imagery and odd goings-on than you can shake a stick at.
Great,the reason why i'd love to see it again after all these years.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 20:54 »

The Shout Factory release is supposed to be complete. They released an uncut DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE on a double bill with the black comedy horror flick LEGACY OF BLOOD. There's a ton of nudity in CASTLE OF FREAKS and it's supposed to be Dunn's last movie he did before his death. There are some amusing bits during the opening where Baccaro is battling some guys wearing blue jeans and modern shirts. Didn't know they had those back then. Mitchell has little to do. Lots and lots of skin on display. It's kind of a lame title for them to release though. Maybe it was in a package deal where to get one good title you had to take a few bad ones?

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2007 - 13:43 »

Just noticed Kult now has this in stock for €11.90 with English,Italian and French language options,i'll be ordering it in the next few days.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2007 - 18:11 »

I've got the US R1 DVD from Something Weird, and it's a riot

i've got that one too, do you rekon it's worth upgrading?

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.