• 06 Feb 2023 - 12:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What? / Che? (Roman Polanski, 1972)  (Read 16852 times)

Federico

• One Just Man
    • Freak-O-Rama
What? / Che? (Roman Polanski, 1972)
« on: 01 Oct 2008 - 10:57 »

We finally have a release date for this UK dvd: october 20th.  ::)

The dvd will feature the original English audio (even though there's also a bit of Italian and French in some dialogues).

There will be 3 featurettes:

Sydne In Wonderland (featuring Sydne Rome)
Memories Of A Young Pianist (featuring composer Claudio Gizzi talking about his whole career and playing a nice tune on the piano)
A Surreal Pop Movie (featuring legendary cinematographer Marcello Gatti)
NEW SITE 2014 www.freakorama.org

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
Re: What? / Che? (Roman Polanski, 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 15:48 »

Great news!  :-X I love this movie. :-*
Thanks for the heads-up Federico!  :P

I finally, finally can retire my alfa digital disc.  :-\
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Federico

• One Just Man
    • Freak-O-Rama
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 16:24 »

It's screenshot time!  ;D

Claudio Gizzi:

Marcello Gatti:

Sydne Rome:

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 16:41 »

Excellent,time for an upgrade i think.

Does Sydne Rome still live in Italy,Federico?

Federico

• One Just Man
    • Freak-O-Rama
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 17:13 »

Does Sydne Rome still live in Italy,Federico?

Yes, she has a lovely apartment in the center of Rome but she told me she's often in the US because she's got family there. She's from Ohio, by the way.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 18:30 »

Yes, she has a lovely apartment in the center of Rome but she told me she's often in the US because she's got family there.
Cool,didn't she marry an Italian producer?

She's great in Mario Morra's 1978 documentary SPEED FEVER (Formula uno, febbre della velocità) interviewing all the F1 stars like Niki Lauda,Mario Andretti etc.

Federico

• One Just Man
    • Freak-O-Rama
« Reply #6 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 19:37 »

Yes, she has a lovely apartment in the center of Rome but she told me she's often in the US because she's got family there.
Cool,didn't she marry an Italian producer?

I know that her fist husband was a photographer called Emilio Lari. They got married in 1973 I think.
Then they divorced and i 1988 she has married a doctor and i think they are still together.
I'm not completely sure though...

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 01 Oct 2008 - 20:50 »

She still looks very elegant,looking forward to seeing the interview(s) when it's released. :'(

Forgot to mention earlier that English language dubber Richard McNamara makes an appearance in this as the American tourist who turns up at the villa with his wife,very recognisable voice (Polanski used live sound in parts of it) that dubbed John Bartha's character in EYEBALL and CANNIBAL FEROX and loads more i can't remember at the moment (where Johan?  ;)).

Richard McNamara IMDB

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2008 - 02:28 »

I saw a press release for the Severin disc over on DVD Times a couple of weeks ago. There's a quote in there that got me thinking:

...now finally restored to its original running time from a vault print reportedly stolen from the wine cellar of producer Carlo Ponti

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a different version from that released on DVD by 20th Century Fox in Italy? I only ask as I have thave version already and don't really want to have to doubledip  :-X
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2008 - 18:01 »

Sydne Rome was interviewed on the Italian DVD too. I thought her face looked a little strange - botox maybe?

Forgot to mention earlier that English language dubber Richard McNamara makes an appearance in this as the American tourist who turns up at the villa with his wife,very recognisable voice (Polanski used live sound in parts of it) that dubbed John Bartha's character in EYEBALL and CANNIBAL FEROX and loads more i can't remember at the moment (where Johan?  ;)).

Yeah, Richard McNamara is one of the real pillars of the dubbing scene and his dubbing work goes back to the 1950s - he was Steve Reeves voice in HERCULES (1958) although this was later re-dubbed in America. He is credited with the English versions of numerous peplums and often did the opening narration in these films but I remember him better for his later work. In addition to those John Bartha dubs, he also dubbed Franco Moraldi in DEATH WALKS AT MIDNIGHT (1972), Eolo Capritti in EMANUELLE'S REVENGE (1975), Tom Felleghy in SEVEN BLOOD-STAINED ORCHIDS (1972) and SYNDICATE SADISTS (1975), Don Powell in BLACK EMANUELLE 2 (1976), Adolfo Celi in LIVE LIKE A COP, DIE LIKE A MAN (1976), Carlo Gaddi VIOLENT NAPLES (1976), Franco Ressel in STAR ODYSSEY (1978), the professor in the opening scene in HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD (1980), the butler (Claudio Zucchet) in BURIAL GROUND (1981) and many others.

McNamara was bilingual so he also dubbed films in Italian - typically voicing American characters. He also had many roles on camera - in addition to his IMDb credits he also played an American general in THE DAY THE SKY EXPLODED (1958) and an ambassador in NOTTURNO (1983) etc.

Oh, and the woman who plays McNamara's wife in WHAT? is Cicely Browne, who also worked in dubbing. It's fitting to see them as a couple as McNamara usually hired Browne to dub the female leads in films where he directed the dubbing. For example, she did Scilla Gabel in MILL OF THE STONE WOMEN (1960), Susanne Loret in ATOM AGE VAMPIRE (1960), Chelo Alonso in ATLAS IN THE LAND OF THE CYCLOPS (1961) etc.
Personally, I remember her more fondly for dubbing older female characters in the 70s and 80s - Maria Tedeschi in THE CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS (1971), Eleonora Morana in WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS? (1974), Clara Calamai in DEEP RED (1975), Alida Valli in PERFECT CRIME (1978), Adelaide Aste in CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (1980), Veronica Lazar in THE BEYOND (1981) etc.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #10 on: 03 Oct 2008 - 18:12 »

Another great informative post Johan,love to see this all this encyclopedic knowledge in book form someday.

I thought her face looked a little strange - botox maybe?
Wouldn't surprise me as she is married to a doctor  :-\

Federico

• One Just Man
    • Freak-O-Rama
« Reply #11 on: 03 Oct 2008 - 20:18 »

I thought her face looked a little strange - botox maybe?
Wouldn't surprise me as she is married to a doctor  :-\

:D If my sources are correct her husband is a a gerontologist.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2008 - 09:49 »

I saw a press release for the Severin disc over on DVD Times a couple of weeks ago. There's a quote in there that got me thinking:

...now finally restored to its original running time from a vault print reportedly stolen from the wine cellar of producer Carlo Ponti

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a different version from that released on DVD by 20th Century Fox in Italy? I only ask as I have thave version already and don't really want to have to doubledip  :-X

Anyone?
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Federico

• One Just Man
    • Freak-O-Rama
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2008 - 09:53 »

Anyone?

I'll tell you soon.  :D

bronxwarriors1990

« Reply #14 on: 04 Nov 2008 - 16:06 »

Anyone have any thoughts on his film?

Here's my review of the new Severin DVD over at 10kbullets:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/w/what-severin-films/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.