• 10 Aug 2022 - 17:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Il castello dalle porte di fuoco (José Luis Merino, 1970)  (Read 6231 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

aka Scream of the Demon Lover / Blood Castle

What's the best version available for this film? Was reading about it today in Video Watchdog #30 and it sounds just up my street.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

Like Merino's ORGIA DE LOS MUERTOS (review on the main page), this is a Spanish/Italian co-production (Charles Quinney who plays the Baron here played the butler in the zombie film).  The Spanish title is IVANNA.

There's a German DVD from EMS.  Italian and German audio only but since it's EMS I'm sure its a good transfer.  I believe it's an open matte film.

In the US, it was released theatrically by New World Pictures (the Cormon company, not the eighties company) with 20 minutes cut (for double billing with THE VELVET VAMPIRE) and retitled SCREAM OF THE DEMON LOVER.  This cut was released on tape by Charter Entertainment (nice, Hi-Fi mono release).  The 97m export version was released by Wizard Video under the title BLOOD CASTLE.  Another uncut print under the SCREAM OF THE DEMON LOVER title appeared from Sinister Cinema (that was the version reviewed in VW #30 - an issue that also featured reviews for QUEENS OF EVIL (European Trash Cinema's dub of the UK pre-cert) and MARK OF THE WOLFMAN (Video Search of Miami's subtitled version of the German print).

The US DVD from Retromedia (under the BLOOD CASTLE title - but not the same font as the Wizard tape's video-burn title) is likely unauthorized.  It's letterboxed but it's a matte job. 

The Greek and Dutch tapes are also uncut and bear the original export title KILLERS OF THE CASTLE OF BLOOD.  The Greek tape looks better than the Dutch one.

Tim Lucas recently dug out a copy of the Wizard version and blogged about it on his site: http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/search?q=%22wizard+video%22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OCw-2q68s

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Thanks for the info Eric. After reading what you said and Tim Lucas' blog I realised that I actually do have the Retromedia release, sat way down deep at the bottom of an unwatched pile of discs...  ???

Running time for the DVD is 1h 37m 8secs

The BLOOD CASTLE title seems video generated.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

Thanks for the info Eric. After reading what you said and Tim Lucas' blog I realised that I actually do have the Retromedia release, sat way down deep at the bottom of an unwatched pile of discs...  ???

Running time for the DVD is 1h 37m 8secs

The BLOOD CASTLE title seems video generated.

Yes, but the Wizard tape has the video generated title in a different font.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Yes, but the Wizard tape has the video generated title in a different font.

Looks like there's a deliberate space in the credit sequence so that distributors could add their own title doesn't it?

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

I've wanted to see this one for a long time (I mean, you can't go wrong with Erna Schurer) but I've kept putting it off since I was sure Retromedia's DVD looked totally crappy, and the screenshots Jonny posted confirms this.

Some screenshots from the superior German EMS release (which has German and Italian audio options only)  can be seen here: http://www.dvd-forum.at/13903/screenshots.htm

Stephen Grimes

I mean, you can't go wrong with Erna Schurer
Agreed,been really enjoying some of her films lately.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever

Yeah, Erna is great. Merino used her in his interesting WW2 film THE BATTLE OF THE LAST PANZER (1969), which could do with a decent release. Personally, I find her film work from the late 60s and early 70s to be particularly intriguing. That as well as her spectacular work in the infamous Killing photo-comics, which is what launched her into films, I believe.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

Just noticed a brief appearance by her in the late eighties Italian horror film SPECTRES.

Stephen Grimes

She's very good in Brunello Rondi's 1973 thriller TECNICA DI UN AMORE alongside Janet Agren,i think she must have made about 4 or 5 films for this director around the early 70's.

alan tozer

• Almost Human

These are much wanted Stephen any chance of a dub? Cheers, Alan.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

She's very good in Brunello Rondi's 1973 thriller TECNICA DI UN AMORE alongside Janet Agren,i think she must have made about 4 or 5 films for this director around the early 70's.

She was also in Rondi's Tue mani sul mio corpo which was produced by Mino Loy and Luciano Martino and executive produced by Sergio Martino (the team responsible for two of the Carroll Baker gialli and the latter Martino's own gialli).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.