• 14 Aug 2022 - 01:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piero Piccioni and me  (Read 6699 times)

Andrew Monroe

Piero Piccioni and me
« on: 30 Oct 2008 - 13:57 »

In the spirit of the Trovajoli favorites thread, I have high hopes of some of you good folk steering me towards some yet undiscovered goodness from this maestro. So list (and comment if you feel like) on some of your picks from his vast body of work. My two bits to start:

AMORE MIO AIUTAMI - My most recent discovery, this is a fantastic romantic/groovy score. Some might be familiar with 'North Pole Penguin' from this, it`s on a few compilations. Highly, highly recommended.
CAMILLE 2000 - What can you say, it`s a masterpiece...
FUMA DI LONDRA - This is perhaps my all-time fav of his, you simply can`t be in a bad mood after hearing 'Mr. Dante Fontana'! It`s paired with the almost as good UN ITALIANO IN AMERICA on the Point Records cd. 'Amore Amore Amore' with the enchanting Christy vocal...
SCACCO ALLA REGINA - Another beauty.
COLPOROVENTE - One of his more complex pieces, a swinging classic.
THE SEDUCTION OF PIERO PICCIONI - really nice compilation from Cherry Red.
...SE INCONTRI SARTANA PREGA PER LA TUA MORTE - His spaghetti western work is markedly different from the usual suspects, you won`t often be immediately grabbed by the melody but give it a few more listens and it will all make sense.
PIERO PICCIONI WESTERN QUARTET - see above...good stuff here, particularly UNA COLT IN MANO AL DIAVOLO.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
Re: Piero Piccioni and me
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2008 - 14:02 »

In the spirit of the Trovajoli favorites thread, I have high hopes of some of you good folk steering me towards some yet undiscovered goodness from this maestro. So list (and comment if you feel like) on some of your picks from his vast body of work. My two bits to start:

along with Camille 2000, my favorite score is the pop masterpiece, and Andy Warhol's favorite record, La decima vittima, unfortunately, currently OOP. 

Movie Grooves compares Dagored's I Giovani Tigri, which I enjoy imensely and featuring Edda Dell' Orso, to Fumo Di LondraL'imprevisto, also Dagored is very jazzy reminding me of Miles Davis' score of the Louis Malle film,  Ascenseur pour l'échafaud.

I've also got Colpo Rovente on order from Dusty Groove.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Rogerio Ferraz

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2008 - 14:52 »

Nice one, Andrew! Piccioni is beyond belief!!!  ;)
Here´s one my faves, his score to La Volpe dalla coda di velluto aka In the Eye of the Hurricane:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MYCg8Mot0no

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2008 - 15:41 »

Michael, as usual with a thread of this sort, I forgot a good one: LA DECIMA VITTIMA! I do have it and wholeheartedly agree, it`s one of his best. Someone needs to reissue this one pronto! Thank you for the Dagored suggestions, I`m makin` a list. This is exactly why these threads are so great. It`s also endlessly fascinating to me to discover what scores are close to my fellow LL&Lers hearts.

Rogerio, great stuff! I have the film on dvd-r...is a cd available?

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2008 - 15:57 »

Michael, as usual with a thread of this sort, I forgot a good one: LA DECIMA VITTIMA!

Ha, me too.  :-*

I forgot to list Il Bacio, available on Beat Records, which I picked up at Dusty Groove. 

It's atonal at times and very lush and orchestral at others, reminiscent of Howard Shore's later work with Cronenberg.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

TEENAGER SIND NACKT

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2008 - 16:02 »

the nuns CD on Digitmovies is great..  ::)

Rogerio Ferraz

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2008 - 16:15 »

Rogerio, great stuff! I have the film on dvd-r...is a cd available?
Andrew, this was released by Screen Trax along with another two of his gialli scores (Due Maschi Per Alexa and Dopo Die Che Uccide Il Maschio E Lo Divora), not sure if it is OOP now though.

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2008 - 18:01 »

Andrew, this was released by Screen Trax along with another two of his gialli scores (Due Maschi Per Alexa and Dopo Die Che Uccide Il Maschio E Lo Divora), not sure if it is OOP now though.

Aha, thank you for the information Rogerio. I`ll have a look around.

And thanks for the additional suggestions, TSN and Michael.

Another really good Piccioni, albeit non-eurocult is PUPPET ON A CHAIN.

prospero

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2009 - 10:52 »

just got the Scacco alla Regina Cd, and all I can say is - Piccioni is the best! Camille 2000 is my favourite, but Scacco comes pretty close, along with Colpo Rovente and Puppet on a Chain. Nice digipack, too. Edda dell'Orso is simply divine.
Would love to see the film (Scacco alla Regina), it seems to be pretty weird. Anyone seen it?

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2009 - 13:27 »

just got the Scacco alla Regina Cd, and all I can say is - Piccioni is the best! Camille 2000 is my favourite, but Scacco comes pretty close, along with Colpo Rovente and Puppet on a Chain. Nice digipack, too. Edda dell'Orso is simply divine.
Would love to see the film (Scacco alla Regina), it seems to be pretty weird. Anyone seen it?

I've been listening to Colpo rovente a lot lately.  Great, groovy stuff!  :'(  :-X
SNAPORAZ!

prospero

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2009 - 12:04 »

I've been listening to Colpo rovente a lot lately.  Great, groovy stuff!  :'(  :-X
I love the way it slowly builds up and then explodes.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2009 - 14:00 »

I love the way it slowly builds up and then explodes.

Me too!

I'll have to give it another spin today.  :-X
SNAPORAZ!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.