• 08 Aug 2022 - 07:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flesh For Frankenstein (Paul Morrissey, 1973)  (Read 6599 times)

sadistik1

Flesh For Frankenstein (Paul Morrissey, 1973)
« on: 21 May 2009 - 03:01 »

I appreciate that there is a fair bit of controversy surrounding who exactly directed this movie and it's companion piece Blood For Dracula but I am of the opinion that it's a Morrissey film and that Antonio Margheriti directed only the special effects scenes and therefore have placed this thread here.
Anyway, why no 3D on DVD? Personally I like to watch films as they were intended to be seen and in this case that means 3D. A 3D version was released on video in the US about 20 years ago and it works very well though the glasses required were very expensive and the Criterion disc mentions that Morrissey choose to release the movie flat, indicating that the option for a 3D release was available. Surely the novelty value of a 3D release would sell well, so somebody please release one!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Flesh For Frankenstein (Paul Morrissey, 1973)
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2009 - 05:39 »

The flick has been screened in 3D at the NFT - I'm pretty sure Marc went to see it there a few years ago, actually.\

I'm with you, BTW. Morrissey made this and BLOOD FOR DRACULA, with Margheriti working on the effects. Funny how these rumours start and get blown out of proportion, isn't it? I think there were a few Italian filmmakers that were prone to embellishing.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2009 - 08:54 »

It's a USA / Italy / France co-production so counts as Euro Cult  :'(

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2009 - 10:42 »

Surely the novelty value of a 3D release would sell well, so somebody please release one!

It'd be nice but at the moment the only viable 3-D option for the home would be to use the red & green glasses system (anaglyph?) - like the recent FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 DVD.

I've not tried watching a whole feature length film using the red & green system but I'm pretty sure it would do my head (and eyes) in!

I know some companies are working on a HD 3D system for Blu-ray that will be in full colour (no red/green tint), maybe that will be worth waiting for?

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2009 - 11:10 »

With 3-D movies all the rage again it seems the right time to release Flesh for Frankenstein in 3-D on DVD/Blu-Ray. A friend at the BFI said it is on his radar of dream projects... but don't hold your breath!

I went to see it screened in 3-D at the NFT years ago... definitely a whole other experience! As part of the season I also saw some great Kung Fu 3-D films...

I interviewed Paul Morrissey about three years ago and he was very clear about Margheriti's minimal input! The fact that Margheriti was credited as director on Italian posters certainly didn't help any confusion.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2009 - 14:17 »

I believe that Margheriti is credited as the director on Italian prints due to tax reasons. This seems to have been the case with a lot of US-Italian co-productions that had an American director, such as THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964), which was directed by Sidney Salkow but Italian prints give directorial credit to Ubaldo Ragona, and DARK PURPOSE (1964), made by George Marshall but with Italian prints crediting Vittorio Sala etc.

sadistik1

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2009 - 02:37 »

I believe that Margheriti is credited as the director on Italian prints due to tax reasons. This seems to have been the case with a lot of US-Italian co-productions that had an American director, such as THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964), which was directed by Sidney Salkow but Italian prints give directorial credit to Ubaldo Ragona, and DARK PURPOSE (1964), made by George Marshall but with Italian prints crediting Vittorio Sala etc.
On a similar note, I've just been looking at an Italian poster for Paroxismus (Franco's Venus In Furs) which credits Hans Billian as director.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 11:27 »

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 11:37 »

I make the assumption that it isn't in 3D?
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #9 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 11:39 »

I make the assumption that it isn't in 3D?

Doesn't look like it does it?

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 11:42 »

Not really, but not being able to read Japanese I can't be definite.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 11:51 »

How much is it anyway? Gonna be double dear.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 18:51 »

Around £25 before shipping from Amazon.jp I think and after attempting to translate the page and look at the reviews, it would appear that this is only a 2D release. Fuck that.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #13 on: 02 Sep 2013 - 18:56 »

Around £25 before shipping from Amazon.jp I think and after attempting to translate the page and look at the reviews, it would appear that this is only a 2D release. Fuck that.

I'd be all over this for upwards of £30 if it was 3D. As it is I'm happy to wait for a definitive release or pick this one up for £15 or so if I ever see it at that price, which is unlikely.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #14 on: 03 Sep 2013 - 08:15 »

Japanese releases are quite inconsistent too.

It's only a matter of time before someone releases a 3D version of this and my money would be on it coming from a US company.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.