• 12 Aug 2022 - 06:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singapore Sling  (Read 6772 times)

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
Singapore Sling
« on: 15 Jun 2009 - 17:54 »

Anyone else a fan of this Nikos Nikolaidis masterpiece?  :-\

I picked the Synapse DVD up a couple of years ago after hearing good things about it & couldn't believe my eyes! It's funny, sick, perverse, deranged... all the things I like  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYbFzpb_4NA

TEENAGER SIND NACKT

Re: Singapore Sling
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2009 - 13:59 »

almost blind bought that one since I had heard of it for years but I managed to rent it first and ... I hated it.   

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2009 - 17:03 »

Oh well, never mind. I enjoyed it.   :-[

:-\

vigilanteforce

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2009 - 01:37 »

It is a beautifully photographed film. Can't remember much more about it because its been years since I last watched it. Nikolaidis was a master filmmaker, that's for sure. A friend of mine worked as his assistant in the film.

Soukesian

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2011 - 12:03 »

Just saw the Synapse DVD, and I thought it was amazing!

Found this site which has details on all of the directors films, and trailers for many

http://www.nikosnikolaidis.com/mainenglish/index.php

All of them seem to be at least worth a look, and many sound potentially as deranged as Singapore Sling, but I'm coming up blank on subbed copies. Anyone seen any of his other films?

gaz1

• One Just Man
  • excuse me miss? does this smell of chloroform to u
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2011 - 13:45 »

Singapore Sling is one of my favorite films also, but i've never looked into the directors other films.

Great link, i'll have a look properly at this tonight and see what i can find by him film wise  ::)
Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!!

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2011 - 14:17 »

Just saw the Synapse DVD, and I thought it was amazing!

Found this site which has details on all of the directors films, and trailers for many

http://www.nikosnikolaidis.com/mainenglish/index.php

All of them seem to be at least worth a look, and many sound potentially as deranged as Singapore Sling, but I'm coming up blank on subbed copies. Anyone seen any of his other films?

Thanks for the link, most of them look like they are well worth a look  ::)
There is a link to their E-Shop on that page that says the dvds will have English subs & says they are "coming soon", but no indication of how soon.

Soukesian

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2011 - 21:06 »

There is a link to their E-Shop on that page that says the dvds will have English subs & saya they are "coming soon", but no indication of how soon.

Cheers, I managed to miss that - will definitely be watching for these!

Soukesian

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2011 - 19:25 »

Eight titles including Singapore Sling now up for fifteen Euros a go on the site, or the whole lot as a one hundred Euro box. Multiple subtitle options including English included.

Has anyone ordered, and have the releases been reviewed anywhere? (No, I'm not feeling particularly wealthy right now!)

Soukesian

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2011 - 18:58 »

Just to note that I ordered a copy of Nikolaidis' The Zero Years through the site with no problems at all. Greece - UK in a week and the disc seems fine. Haven't found the right moment for it yet, but will post a review when I do.

Soukesian

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2012 - 21:42 »

I finally got around to watching The Zero Years. Wow. It's not as stylish or immediately overwhelming as Singapore Sling, but it's at least as odd, Michele Valley reappears, and it contains many of the same elements: a few characters in a constrained environment, violent women, men in bondage, blood, vomit . . and all rather well acted with an underlying tone of seriousness.

Three women have been sterilized, imprisoned and forced to work as dominatrixes in an S&M brothel run by a sinister bureaucratic (possibly governmental) organization. They are joined by a fourth, with only a few months to serve. Everyone is going slowly mad, and is kept drugged to the eyeballs, so it's not entirely clear if some of the stranger events are really happening. Despite all of this, it's mostly a character study, with the sensational elements taking second place to the interplay between the women.

Technically, the film looks pretty good, and the subtitles are reasonable, though the translator seems to be struggling a little at times. From the notes at the website, Nikolaidis seems to have been quite insistent that this wasn't to be taken as a piece of post-apocalytic SF: "It would be a mistake to interpret this as a futuristic story. No matter how harsh it may appear this movie is about the shape of things that are already here and established . ."

As I say, not as immediately culty as Singapore Sling, but clearly the work of a filmmaker like no other. I definitely want to know more about the director and see more of his films.

tommygun69

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2012 - 15:05 »

I got this on DVD a while back and was pretty dissapointed. It seemed to be trying way to hard to be shocking and crazy.

Soukesian

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2012 - 23:44 »

Well, Singapore Sling certainly isn't everyone's tipple, and I respect your opinion, but I cannot agree. It's an incredibly beautiful film to look at, and the performances are magnificent, to the point that the shocking elements become part of the camp drama, and the impact they would have if presented in a verite fashion is taken to quite another place. There are plenty of exercises in pure shock horror discussed in this forum, but I think there's a lot more than that going on in this film.

Singapore Sling was a late work by a director who started out making avant-garde movies in the immediate aftermath of a brutal military dictatorship in the seventies, and achieved a number of counter-cultural hits in that context. By 1990, he didn't have much to prove, and the fact that this film is a deranged and meticulous tribute to Preminger's Laura suggests that Nikolaidis had a far weirder and more personal agenda than pure shock value. (Not that I would ever, ever say that there's anything wrong with that.) This is the work of a mature director who wants to represent what the movies, and one movie in particular, meant to him, and who really, really doesn't care if you don't like it.

This review, from the ever-fabulous Tenebrous Kate, persuaded me to purchase the DVD, and I very much agree with her take:

http://tenebrouskate.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/singapore-sling-1990.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.