• 08 Aug 2022 - 11:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Horror Express (Eugenio Martino, 1972)  (Read 34927 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Horror Express (Eugenio Martino, 1972)
« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2007 - 21:29 »

The audio on the Image disc is crystal only I do not think it is anamorphic. The disc is from '99 and it says nothing on the back about being anamorphic.

It's seems weird now, looking back, at how many DVD's weren't 16:9 enhanced back in the early days of DVD. I know Disney/Buena Vista wouldn't put out 16:9 DVD's for a long time...

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2007 - 21:31 »

I don't have a widescreen tv so this doesn't bother me...at least not right now!

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2007 - 22:13 »

I just watched through the disc, and it was fine all the way through. I got past the forced subtitle by simply zooming it in like a normal non-anamorphic disc - lost a tiny bit of the picture, but didn't have to fuss around with ripping the disc etc.

Great film, and I'll be putting up a full review next month.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #33 on: 19 Aug 2007 - 05:37 »

The audio on the Image disc is crystal only I do not think it is anamorphic.

Correct. The image disc is not anamorphic.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

bloodvamp

« Reply #34 on: 28 Aug 2007 - 21:49 »

commissario   great horror express pics!  :-\

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2007 - 03:07 »

Thanks!

CJ

« Reply #36 on: 30 Aug 2007 - 01:18 »

I've been very happy with my Image DVD - and I think it will last me a while longer. Great film, too. But, then again, I love anything with Cushing and Lee in it!

Whilst the colouring looks slightly better on the German DVD screenshots, it's not markedly different enough to make me want to upgrade at this point in time.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #37 on: 01 Sep 2007 - 16:58 »

If anyone is interested, I have just published my full review of the film, and the German DVD - Horror Express.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

fdsmedia

« Reply #38 on: 01 Sep 2007 - 17:03 »

Thanks for an informative review! I received my copy of the same release yesterday, but haven't had the time to watch it yet.

dracucarr

« Reply #39 on: 07 Sep 2007 - 11:26 »

This is a favourite with many people who aren't even into the Hammer films. If you want to draw people into the works of Cushing and Lee then put Horror Express on I say  ::). Even without Cushing and Lee this would still be one of my favourite horror films, and that makes their starring roles even more rewarding for me because they make the films greatness even greater. Oh, and that score! I love it! I whistle and hum along (not at the same time though  ;D) for days after seeing it. It is very memorable and really adds to the film as it brings about another happy level of entertainment  :-\. I have seen this almost as much as (Horror of) Dracula and every home of horror shouldn't be without a copy of this brilliant brilliant film!!!

fdsmedia

« Reply #40 on: 09 May 2008 - 08:57 »

I just received the UK Cinema Club release, the film seems to be presented open matte since it contains more picture information on top and bottom. Here are some comparison screens with the German VZ disc:

Cinema Club:

VZ:

Cinema Club:

VZ:

The opening titles on the German disc is much darker... also, the Cinema Club has got optional English subtitles.

fdsmedia

« Reply #41 on: 09 May 2008 - 09:25 »

Some other differencies, the train you only can hear before the opening credits on the German disc is completely visible on the CC disc which has also got the end credits - on the german disc the music plays over a black screen.

Unfortunately it seems like approximately 3 minutes of footage are missing from the CC release.

Wim C.

• Almost Human
    • cultfilms en kutfilms
« Reply #42 on: 09 May 2008 - 23:12 »

Unfortunately it seems like approximately 3 minutes of footage are missing from the CC release.

Too bad - those caps look good.
Do you mean 3 minutes missing compared to the German disc's duration ?
Are they both in proper PAL ?
cultfilms en kutfilms - dvd-reviews in Dutch
Offscreen Film Festival - Film Fest in Brussels

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2008 - 00:49 »

Love this film.  Like CASTLE OF THE WALKING DEAD, it was another PD eyesore in the US.  The "official" releases were from Media Home Entertainment and Prism Entertainment (with a cool clamshell cover) but it showed up on so many other labels as well. 

I have the Image disc too.  I noticed that the Spanish and Music and Effects track have a different musical cue which is perplexing.  In the English version, Tortosa plays the main theme on the piano and has it answered by the creature whistling (after having absorbed the baggage man's brain) and continues to play.  In the Spanish track and the M&E track, she is playing something else entirely so it doesn't make sense that the creature whistles the tune back.

djvaso

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2010 - 13:42 »

News from Severin Films:
"Since their awe-inspiring collaboration in Hammer’s groundbreaking The Curse Of Frankenstein in 1957, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were destined to join the privileged ranks of cinema’s great horror stars alongside Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Peter Lorre, Vincent Price and Lon Chaney. Severin Films will be paying tribute to their macabre celluloid partnership by giving the Special Edition treatment to not one but two of their finest fright flicks: Horror Express and The House That Dripped Blood.

Horror Express, also starring Kojak himself Telly Savalas, was written and produced in Spain by McCarthy era blacklistees to make use of a train purchased for director Eugenio Martin’s previous movie, Pancho Villa. The unlikely result was a masterwork of early 70s Euro-horror packed with wit, atmosphere and brainsucking, eye draining, Cossack maiming bloodshed. The House That Dripped Blood is one of the great Amicus anthology films featuring a smorgasbord of cult talent: Jon “Dr. Who” Pertwee, Ingrid ”Countess Dracula” Pitt, Denholm Elliott, Joss Ackland and Geoffrey Bayldon in a quartet of gruesome tales penned by PSYCHO-scribe Robert Bloch.

Expect new hi-def transfers to present these terrifying gems as you’ve never seen them before. Details on our astounding roster of special features to follow."

http://www.severin-films.com/2010/04/13/double-dose-of-cushing-lee-70s-horror-classics-coming-soon/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.