• 02 Dec 2022 - 23:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Antichrist (Lars Von Trier, 2009)  (Read 9276 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Antichrist (Lars Von Trier, 2009)
« on: 16 Jan 2010 - 17:06 »

Has anyone else managed to see this yet? I watched the UK Blu-ray this afternoon. It's fucking heavy going, rich in symbolism and one of those films you just know you have to watch again as soon as it's over. At the film's centre is an acting powerhouse showcasing the talents of Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg. Some would say (me included) that the pair give extraordinarily brave performances

In filmmaking terms its an audacious film and one that's definitely a step up from the pretentiousness of the films Von Trier made under the Dogme manifesto. The Dogme films I saw left me very cold: I think when you know a filmmaker is capable of producing something that's heavily stylised it is very hard "buying into" the very uncinematic look of the Dogme films. Here the visuals are a real treat and the film has a very impressive look.

Definitely interested in hearing what other people have to say about this...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
Re: Antichrist (Lars Von Trier, 2009)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010 - 17:20 »

It'll be playing at our local film society for one week starting January 30th.  I'll get back after I've seen it.  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010 - 17:50 »

I'll be picking this up in the next few weeks hopefully.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

slizwiz

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010 - 17:09 »

Antichrist wrecked my world. All of my happy thoughts were doused with gasoline and set on fire. This is one of the most beautiful and horrifying things I've ever seen. This will be someone's Exorcist.

gaz1

• One Just Man
  • excuse me miss? does this smell of chloroform to u
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010 - 23:56 »

i've just recently got into his stuff with Riget (the kingdom) tv series.. i've got the  e-triology on order (4 disc tartan release) and i've been looking at getting this. i've heard quite a few 'exorcist comments' about it.. nobody i know has said they didn't like it
Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!!

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2010 - 18:27 »

Still on my to-watch list. I was unsure what to make of it from the promotion but reviews were quite positive.

gaz1 - if you want to see Von Trier at his most wonderfully pretentious, track down De fem benspænd (The Five Obstructions) (2003), it is on DVD in the US and UK although I can't comment on quality. It is something of a documentary in which Von Trier gets his mentor to remake an early short film in a variety of bizarre ways. A real insight into Von Trier's strange world of cinema.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

aspire

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2010 - 16:12 »

I like Von Trier but not this movie although is well done. Too much violence takes away from the meaning. Jean Delumeau wrote an excellent book : La Peur en Occident  (The Fear in the West) where there's a chapter called : The diabolisation of the woman. It is very much related to the theme of this movie. Delumeau writes with many examples how the woman was considered being the Satan's agent in the middle ages.

gaz1

• One Just Man
  • excuse me miss? does this smell of chloroform to u
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2010 - 16:27 »

re.."gaz1 - if you want to see Von Trier at his most wonderfully pretentious, track down De fem benspænd  (The Five Obstructions) (2003), it is on DVD in the US and UK although I can't comment on quality. It is something of a documentary in which Von Trier gets his mentor to remake an early short film in a variety of bizarre ways. A real insight into Von Trier's strange world of cinema"

R-T-C Tim.. Thanks for that, i'll search it out and add it to what i'm picking up this month.. :P
Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!!

pricey

• Almost Human
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2010 - 08:02 »

Five Obstructions is great. You're never sure if Von Trier is playing up for the camera, being a complete arsehole, or if it's really his personality. From the stuff I've heard about the way he treated Nicole Kidman and Bjork on the sets of his movies with them, I'm moving towards the latter conclusion.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2010 - 17:18 »

I like Von Trier but not this movie although is well done. Too much violence takes away from the meaning. Jean Delumeau wrote an excellent book : La Peur en Occident  (The Fear in the West) where there's a chapter called : The diabolisation of the woman. It is very much related to the theme of this movie. Delumeau writes with many examples how the woman was considered being the Satan's agent in the middle ages.

She wasn't?  :-*
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

death_proof_reg

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2010 - 00:38 »

Well this has come up on sky anytime this weekend (perks of living with parents. SKY) so I'm gunna watch it this week.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2010 - 15:53 »

Well this has come up on sky anytime this weekend (perks of living with parents. SKY) so I'm gunna watch it this week.
Good to see you back Reg, where ya been... Rehab?  ;D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

death_proof_reg

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2010 - 19:01 »

haha opposite if i'm honest.

romantico

« Reply #13 on: 05 Sep 2010 - 14:06 »

I have never seen this and i never will . I do not like the domination of hollywood . I am of the olde style and proud .  :P

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #14 on: 05 Sep 2010 - 14:09 »

I have never seen this and i never will . I do not like the domination of hollywood . I am of the olde style and proud .  :P

It's a Danish film.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.