• 18 Aug 2022 - 04:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Defining Moments In Italian Cult Cinema  (Read 9661 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Defining Moments In Italian Cult Cinema
« on: 06 Jul 2007 - 10:54 »

Yes, many would slate these films we celebrate, labelling them as derivative crap, but we know better. We know that same said people trash the reputation of the genre's finest directors and insist on referring to them as 'hacks' but many of the guys in question have been inspirational to the directors their critics praise.

So what defines one of these films for you? To me, it's the assembly of elements that give the films their unique style. Take a look at the opening sequence from Fernando di Leo'sseminal MILANO CALIBRO 9. The scene depicts the every stage of a bag drop, a scene that would have been formulaic in just about any other movie becomes a cinematic tour-de-force in di Leo's hands; brilliant editing, gritty cinematography, brutal violence and a wonderfully unique score from Luis Enrñuez Bacalov combine to create an astonishing whole.

Over to you. Give praise to the films you love by singling out a scene (or two) from one of your favourite films - a scene that can be waved in the face of all those that dismiss these films...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

Re: Defining Moments In Italian Cult Cinema
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2007 - 11:36 »

The pre-credits sequence of CALIBER 9 is a defining moment indeed- for all the reasons that Comp pointed out.

However such moments exist in every Italian exploitation genre, not just in the few genres that this forum deals with- they don't have to be violent to be defining or memorable. A defining moment as far as I am concerned is the opening and credits sequence of Umberto Lenzi's MANGIATI VIVI where Janet Agren walks through the streets of New York city and a crazy Italo-disco theme is heard. A true classic... I could certainly think of more but this one is the first that came to mind.

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 13:45 »

I mentioned this in the other post.. a simple scene in The Cynic the Rat and the Fist where Maurizio Merli walks out of the building with sunglasses on the camera follows him, he takes off his bandage and squeezes his fist.. and the music is following his every move. It reeks of badassness.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 14:01 »

ROMA A MANO ARMATA- the whole movie is a defining EuroCult moment. So is VIOLENT ROME!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 14:02 »

ROMA A MANO ARMATA- the whole movie is a defining EuroCult moment. So is VIOLENT ROME!

I'd certainly cite the scene where Steiner guns down the school kids as a defining moment!
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 14:15 »

Haha yes, that is something you won't see in any American movie :)

LANZETTA

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 15:41 »

Loco(Klaus Kinski) gunning down Silence(Jean Louis Trintignant) and all the innocent "outlaws" in Corbucci's THE GREAT SILENCE(1968).

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 15:57 »

The opening frames of Django (1966) - Leone might have made the genre famous, but Corbucci gave it grime and nihilism.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2007 - 22:08 »

Barbara Bouchet's topless Fog Dance in 'Ricco'...

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2007 - 22:16 »

Imagine being on the set of RICCO when they filmed those scenes :-\

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2007 - 22:21 »

Imagine being on the set of RICCO when they filmed those scenes :-\

Bouchet's finest hour as far as I'm concerned...

vigilanteforce

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2007 - 22:33 »

RICCO....what a masterpiece! Damn you Dark Sky Films :)

Where did you find the letterboxed RICCO print Johny????

LANZETTA

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2007 - 14:41 »

This is obvious but we must include Sergio Leone being the first director to show a gundown (beginning of FISTFUL OF DOLLARS)all in one frame. :)

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2007 - 22:29 »

Haha yes, that is something you won't see in any American movie :)

Actually it did happen in John Carpenters ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13. A little girl is savagely gunned down when she realizes she has gotten the wrong flavor of ice cream from a vendor. When she gets back to the truck, the vendor is dead and the blank faced killer doesn't even pause for a second before shooting her in the chest complete with a massive squib.

Also in 1977, the grindhouse classic FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE about a group of thugs holding a black family hostage making them suffer all manner of indignities features a scene in which a small boy has his skull caved in with a large rock by one of the escaped murderers chasing him in the woods.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2007 - 22:58 »

You are right about FIGHT, I own the film and love it but I had forgotten about the child murder scene!

As for ASSAULT, its been many years since I last watched it (I was a young kid) and hardly remember anything about it. Did they also include a child murder scene in the remake? :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.