• 08 Aug 2022 - 05:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The House By The Cemetery / Quella villa accanto al cimitero (Lucio Fulci, 1981)  (Read 6220 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

I'm surprised this hasn't got a thread already.

Coming out end of September on blu ray from Blue-Underground

A young family moves from their cramped New York City apartment to a spacious new home in New England. But this is no ordinary house in the country: the previous owner was the deranged Dr. Freudstein, whose monstrous human experiments have left a legacy of bloody mayhem. Now, someone-or something-is alive in the basement, and home sweet home is about to become a horrific hell on earth. Now Blue Underground proudly presents the definitive version of The House By The Cemetery: freshly transferred in blood-soaked High Definition from its original uncut and uncensored negative and loaded with exclusive new Extras!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

gnorthcott

Im quite looking forward to this one,i only have the EC ultrabit version so an hd upgrade would be cool

JAMIOUSE

• Special Cop In Action

Is it me or do those screen grabs look a little overly bright? A lot of shadow and contrast seems to be missing.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Is it me or do those screen grabs look a little overly bright? A lot of shadow and contrast seems to be missing.

They look alright to me, could the previous transfer have been too dark?

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

They look alright to me, could the previous transfer have been too dark?
That's what I thought too.

JAMIOUSE

• Special Cop In Action

I love House By The Cemetery, it's one of my favourite Fulci films it's got great atmosphere, editing and some truely great performances. I seem to remember there been debate about the EC, the EC Ultrabit and Anchor Bay versions. I currently own the EC Ultrabit and Arrow DVD and they both look fine to my eyes, the Blue Underground Blu Ray just looks too bright almost as though they've boosted the contrast and lighting on the transfer. Maybe the other editions have been too dark in the past but I think it's suppsed to the have a certain amount of darkness, it is afterall a haunted house film. It's bit odd that the reviewer on DVD Beaver keeps refering to it as a giallo though. House By The Cemetery a giallo? Really?

the blob

• Violent Professional

I love House By The Cemetery, it's one of my favourite Fulci films it's got great atmosphere, editing and some truely great performances. I seem to remember there been debate about the EC, the EC Ultrabit and Anchor Bay versions. I currently own the EC Ultrabit and Arrow DVD and they both look fine to my eyes, the Blue Underground Blu Ray just looks too bright almost as though they've boosted the contrast and lighting on the transfer. Maybe the other editions have been too dark in the past but I think it's suppsed to the have a certain amount of darkness, it is afterall a haunted house film. It's bit odd that the reviewer on DVD Beaver keeps refering to it as a giallo though. House By The Cemetery a giallo? Really?

That last part was quite amusing I thought.

I think it looks alright to me. I think a lot of those old AB transfers could well have been too dark. I had that and the EC Ultrabit, which I promptly ditched because everyone looked like they had a case of sunburn.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

There are actually two reviewers.  I wrote the film review and filled in comments on the DVD edition.  I hadn't read the Blu comments before.  I'll inform Gary of the difference between giallo and Italian horror.

I haven't seen the corrected version of THE BEYOND, but I think the faulty version looked way too bright (Salvati approved the Grindhouse transfer so an ideal transfer would have kept the brightness levels and let the HD resolution bring out details - I'm not sure how much of the brightness originates with the transfer and how much of it might be Arrow's techs [well, whoever they hire] bumping up the gamma).  Arrow's CITY also looked too bright (the Salvati-approved NoShame had better color and contrast levels than the AB and Arrow, but had the DVNR smearing, I'll have to look at the BU caps).

As for HOUSE, I'm at that point where I have stopped buying things because I'm not sure whether I want to buy the Blu version for when I get a player (rather than my younger brother's PS3 every other weekend or so) or the DVD edition.  HOUSE is my favorite Fulci film so I might go the Blu route for it (possibly Arrow's planned version too since it is supposed to have different extras including commentaries).

I've always thought that Anchor Bay's HOUSE was the best of their Fulci DVDs (Shriek Show's MURDER ROCK was probably the best of the R1 Fulcis).

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Watched the blu ray this evening, it looks fantastic.

This used to be my second favourite Fulci horror (after The Beyond) but I'd say it's more than likely my favourite one now upon revisiting it, probably down to the atmosphere.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

No prizes for guessing who this is.

Hellochas

• Special Cop In Action

No prizes for guessing who this is.

Is it that young boy all grown up?

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.