• 08 Aug 2022 - 08:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill, Baby... Kill / Operazione paura (1966, Mario Bava)  (Read 7785 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Just watched this for the first time – what can I say? It was mesmerising – really atmospheric and unsettling…

I’d bought the VCI disc way back when but could never bring myself to watch the film, as the transfer was absolutely horrendous. Anchor Bay’s presentation isn’t the best you could hope it to be, but is correctly framed at 1:85 and is anamorphic, as opposed to the fullscreen framing on the previous disc.

An interesting film and one that’s beautifully shot. Really glad I took the time to watch it tonight.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

The Hunchback

Re: Kill, Baby... Kill/Operazione paura (1966, Mario Bava)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 08:59 »

My favorite Bava horror.
Superb atmosphere.
Creepy soundtrack.

A shame the ending is a bit too light.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 09:09 »

The ending is light, though it definitely makes a change, as many of these gothic horrors end on a bum note. This really is an impresive film. Beautifully photographed and high on creepy atmosphere.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

The Hunchback

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 09:17 »

The ending is light, though it definitely makes a change, as many of these gothic horrors end on a bum note.

It's a bit too Hollywood. Not at all like other Italo horror films coming out at that time.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 09:22 »

The ending is light, though it definitely makes a change, as many of these gothic horrors end on a bum note.

It's a bit too Hollywood. Not at all like other Italo horror films coming out at that time.

I hear you, mate - but that's why it stood out for me.  ;D

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2008 - 19:49 »

Anyone else notice that Max Lawerence who plays the baldheaded Karl is infact Italian crime regular Luciano Catenacci from such classics as Roma a mano armata,Vai gorilla,Sicilian Connection etc?

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2008 - 11:20 »

I’d bought the VCI disc way back when but could never bring myself to watch the film, as the transfer was absolutely horrendous. Anchor Bay’s presentation isn’t the best you could hope it to be, but is correctly framed at 1:85 and is anamorphic, as opposed to the fullscreen framing on the previous disc.

Its too bad the Dark Sky disc was canceled since it had a commentary.  The English subtitles and Italian audio are a nice addition on the Anchor Bay disc.  The French/Italian audio Neo Entertainment disc had an okay image and was anamorphic and had the Italian title sequence which I think looked nicer (I no longer have the disc).  The Japanese DVD is not as sharp or colorful as the Anchor Bay disc but it looks like an actual Technicolor print (even if it is a little worn).  I think this would have been the source for Image's aborted disc except that it had the wrong title sequence.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2008 - 15:01 »

Knock-out film. Yes, it's a shame the Dark Sky disc went AWOL but Anchor Bay's presentation is near-perfect, IMO. Definitely a welcome upgrade from the VCI atrocity.

I think it's one of Bava's most influential films. Fellini obviously borrowed from it for his amazing Spirits of the Dead segment Toby Dammit (from lighting schemes to the girl with the ball image). I recently rewatched the entire Twin Peaks TV series and watching Dale Cooper's final looped walk through the lodge instantly reminded me of Kill, Baby... Kill!'s nightmarish chase which turns back on itself.

"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Diabolik2

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2008 - 15:18 »

The Anchor Bay version has an inferior (from tape source?) insert shot that is also on the German dvd.
It is near the end, where the sorceress is stabbed.

The French dvd is the best looking version.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2008 - 16:13 »

Knock-out film. Yes, it's a shame the Dark Sky disc went AWOL but Anchor Bay's presentation is near-perfect, IMO. Definitely a welcome upgrade from the VCI atrocity.

I think it's one of Bava's most influential films. Fellini obviously borrowed from it for his amazing Spirits of the Dead segment Toby Dammit (from lighting schemes to the girl with the ball image). I recently rewatched the entire Twin Peaks TV series and watching Dale Cooper's final looped walk through the lodge instantly reminded me of Kill, Baby... Kill!'s nightmarish chase which turns back on itself.

Scorsese has expressed how he was influenced by the film too. It was the depiction of the evil little girl from Bava's film that lead Scorsese to have a young kid play the devil in LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2008 - 22:05 »

The French dvd is the best looking version.

I think the Italian track is superior at the opening.  It opens with a screamed "No!" before the fleeing maid appears onscreen.  The English track has some half-heard, not particularly convincing whimpers.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2008 - 22:08 »

Fellini obviously borrowed from it for his amazing Spirits of the Dead segment Toby Dammit (from lighting schemes to the girl with the ball image)

It probably was an influence but it was pointed out in a Video Watchdog review of JULIET OF THE SPIRITS that there is a similar child figure representing Giulietta Masina as a child.

Richard C

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2008 - 17:02 »

Does anyone know if the soundtrack is on CD?

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2008 - 18:01 »

Most of the score is recycled.  Several cues are from WHIP AND THE BODY (and a little BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, I think) along with some Armando Travajoli cues.  I don't know about the main theme.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Kill, Baby... Kill / Operazione paura (1966, Mario Bava)
« Reply #14 on: 05 Dec 2010 - 10:37 »

Finally got my lazy ass around to watching this last night, hadn't seen it before either.

I did enjoy it a lot but it didn't knock my socks off to be honest. Nice to see Luciano Catenacci though!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.