• 08 Aug 2022 - 08:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannibal Apocalypse / Apocalypse Domani (Antonio Margheriti, 1980)  (Read 11123 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

I thought there would have been a thread already, if there is the search isn't picking it up.

Spanish tape cover

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

I had the UK DVD (was one the first horror dvds i ordered from abroad), but sold it cause it was cut. Cool movie, though. Even though I can't really stand that dirty guy from Cannibal Ferox (don't know his name).

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Even though I can't really stand that dirty guy from Cannibal Ferox (don't know his name).
Giovanni Lombardo Radice aka John Morghen

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

Even though I can't really stand that dirty guy from Cannibal Ferox (don't know his name).
Giovanni Lombardo Radice aka John Morghen
Yeah... I could have read it on the poster. There's also a thai DVD of this movie.

Vito Cipriani

• Almost Human

I love this. Barring the rat footage, it lacks the protracted animal cruelty that, for me, mars the other 'big' Italian cannibal films. Plus, I think the urban setting works nicely. The shootout at a supermarket/department store is a highlight for me, as is Morghen's visit to the local pictures. I also like the brief homage to THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN, when (SPOILERS) Morghen's character is shot in the sewers.

I haven't seen it for years though. I have the Image DVD release from a decade or so ago. Come to think of it, I may rewatch this over the next fortnight or so.
'Society has many means of protecting itself: bureaucracy, red tape... and the revolver'

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

I love this. Barring the rat footage, it lacks the protracted animal cruelty that, for me, mars the other 'big' Italian cannibal films.
It's not a cannibal film though. There is some cannibalism, but it's a zombie flick.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

I love this. Barring the rat footage, it lacks the protracted animal cruelty that, for me, mars the other 'big' Italian cannibal films.
It's not a cannibal film though. There is some cannibalism, but it's a zombie flick.
I wouldn't call it a cannibal film either, but it's a darn site closer to being a cannibal film than a zombie one.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

It's not a zombie film.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!

And there is cannibalism in it. Ergo.....
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Vito Cipriani

• Almost Human

I beg to differ :D What does the scientist in DAWN... say about cannibalism being an intra-species activity?  :-\ The urban setting possibly makes it closer in theme to the zombie films but I'd still peg it as a cannibal picture - it's just that in this case, the cannibalism is communicated through a virus. But it's an interesting point: where does the cannibal film end and the zombie film begin? There's quite a lot of overlap between the two (ZOMBI HOLOCAUST, ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH, etc).
'Society has many means of protecting itself: bureaucracy, red tape... and the revolver'

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

I beg to differ :D What does the scientist in DAWN... say about cannibalism being an intra-species activity?  :-\ The urban setting possibly makes it closer in theme to the zombie films but I'd still peg it as a cannibal picture - it's just that in this case, the cannibalism is communicated through a virus. But it's an interesting point: where does the cannibal film end and the zombie film begin? There's quite a lot of overlap between the two (ZOMBI HOLOCAUST, ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH, etc).
The cannibal movies are Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God, Last Cannibal World, Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, Eaten Alive and The Man from Deep River ( + a few titles that are forgettable, like Cannibals and Cannibal Terror), in my opinion.

Zombie Holocaust (cool movie, btw) is more of a mix, but it still leans a lot more towards the above mentioned movies than Cannibal Apocalypse does. 

Vito Cipriani

• Almost Human

The cannibal movies are Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God, Last Cannibal World, Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, Eaten Alive and The Man from Deep River ( + a few titles that are forgettable, like Cannibals and Cannibal Terror), in my opinion.

Zombie Holocaust (cool movie, btw) is more of a mix, but it still leans a lot more towards the above mentioned movies than Cannibal Apocalypse does.
I understand. I just disagree :-\ NIGHTMARE CITY is another that straddles the two subgenres, in a way - with its flesh-eating zombies-but-not-zombies shtick. Personally, I don't think a cannibal film has to be set in the jungle, and it was logical that at some point the Italian cannibal and zombie films (both revolving around gut-munching to a greater or lesser degree) would collide.

I'd expand my thoughts but my toddler son is now trying to vandalise my laptop. Lunch time, I reckon  ::)

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

I understand. I just disagree :-\ NIGHTMARE CITY is another that straddles the two subgenres, in a way - with its flesh-eating zombies-but-not-zombies shtick. Personally, I don't think a cannibal film has to be set in the jungle, and it was logical that at some point the Italian cannibal and zombie films (both revolving around gut-munching to a greater or lesser degree) would collide.

I'd expand my thoughts but my toddler son is now trying to vandalise my laptop. Lunch time, I reckon  ::)
Well, you can disagree, but the cannibal exploitation genre is defined by some of the titles I mentioned. Just because there is cannibalism in a movie, it doesn't make it such a cannibal flick. The movie "Cannibal" about the Armin Meiwes-case isn't part of that genre either, ya know. Even if it revolves about cannibalism a lot.

Three other movies that belong to the genre that I forgot to mention are Treasure of the Amazon, Massacre in Dinosaur Valley, and Cut and Run, btw. And to be honest I also enjoyed Naturo Contro (released on Vipco as Cannibal Holocaust II).

Anyway, this is off topic.  ???

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Just because there is cannibalism in a movie, it doesn't make it such a cannibal flick.
That's perfectly fair but if you had no other choice apart from being able to choose putting it in with Cannibal films or Zombie films it would be Cannibal films all day long.

Even Ferox to to me more of a jungle adventure film than a cannibal film but with cannibals in it but it would still go with cannibal films.

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action

Just because there is cannibalism in a movie, it doesn't make it such a cannibal flick.
That's perfectly fair but if you had no other choice apart from being able to choose putting it in with Cannibal films or Zombie films it would be Cannibal films all day long.

Even Ferox to to me more of a jungle adventure film than a cannibal film but with cannibals in it but it would still go with cannibal films.
I don't think so. You can disagree that there's 'real' zombies in Cannibal Apocalypse, so that you wouldn't call it a zombie movie (I disagree), but the movies from the exploitation cannibal genre are about cannibalistic tribes in rainforests, not infected people in a city.

And you are right about Cannibal Ferox (even if I think the plot is secondary to just showing images of cannibalism and torture of/by cannibals), but apart from that one, there are several movies I mentioned that can also be considered adventure movies (most notably Massacre in Dinosaur Valley and Treasure of the Amazon, both even more so than Cannibal Ferox), but they have the same setting, 'feel', + also include groups of native cannibals just like 'pure' cannibal movies such as Cannibal Holocaust and Last Cannibal World.

(and there I went off topic again  :o)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.